Author Topic: Speedweek  (Read 15277 times)

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
Re: Speedweek
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 01:21:17 AM »
You know that little place a bit southwest of SLC which is Tooele UT? A bit past there and that's the place where they haul in loads of sheep and they don't come back out. Lotsa strange chemicals in use up that highway.

Don't know about herds of camels, but herds of helicopters. LOL

Regards to All,
HB2
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2007, 02:53:11 AM »
   I want to thank every volunteer that made this event happen.

If a 4 hour wait in line is to much for you stay home.

Every morning I came on the salt I saw volunteers that were still at thier posts when I left for the day. If they can do that I sure as hell don't have a problem waiting in line for a run.

Thanks to Mary West at the save the salt trailer.

Thanks to Jon for this sight.

One more time THANK YOU  SCTA/BNI  Vince Norton knows you did a hell of a job and I appreciate you doing and giving me a chance to run at your event.

Sincerly Vince
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline michael lueders

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2007, 12:46:36 PM »

BTW..I keep seeing camels in my dreams...what does it mean?

Depends if your dreaming of the "Toe" or not... Your thoughts may vary...

jon

My thoughts seldom vary

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2007, 01:15:10 PM »
When I looked at the end of the road Sunday the 5th I thought 50-50 was a optimistic. My first thought was I wasted a lot of diesel for nothing.

I'm always tired when Speedweek starts. I thinks it's that week of drilling holes, unloading trailers moving cones, and the inspection process; but it's the life I've chosen. The great thing is to see the record holders in impounds when they complete the process. 2 and 3 club members make it special too.

The hardest part as a volunteer is to be also running a car. The earliest impounds was done was 10am one day it's normal time this year was after 11am so it's tough to be in line before 12 or 1 with a ready car. One of these years I'm going to come up and just run.

As for water at the end of the road; in my 30 odd years of coming to Speed week I can count on one hand how many times there wasn't any for the entire week. It just doesn't seem to matter how dry the salt is the end of the road is always wet.

Just think if we would have been able to use the original 3 courses and it rained one day; we may have lost everything. Then there was the Coddington debacle with the motorhome. Somethings will never change. JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2007, 03:03:02 PM »
PorkPie, next time I am in Heilbronn, I'll look you up.

-JH
But please let me know right on time....I'm always on the run......
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Mac

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2007, 11:56:07 PM »
Loved everything, learned lots, want to go faster.... Oh hell I think I'm hooked!

Many thanks to the SCTA officials for being so patient in teaching us the ropes and putting on such a great event.

Does anyone know the dates for next year yet?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 12:01:41 AM by Mac »

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2007, 12:54:02 AM »
Ahhh Speedweek... the Woodstock of the WFO set.  Radical rides, not to be believed weather shifts, heart breaking turns of events, heart warming conversation, and The Bonneville Experience.  Nothing you can read or be told can prepare you for The Bonneville Experience. 

We didn't do too bad on the way up.  Only one new trailer tire in Las Vegas.  Slightly trashed a trailer fender as it came apart, but...

Expected the Bearcat to stick her toe into The Bonneville Experience just enough to get a Red Hat.  Rookie run Saturday morning, qualifier Saturday afternoon, record run Sunday morning.  Wham bam, thank you… justlikethat.  Spend the rest of the week fooling around with NOS and turbos.

Sooo… Rookie run... right on the money.

Qualifier... done with room to spare.

Record run... ("Pull the chute if anything doesn't feel right").  It didn’t, so she did.  No Hat.

Next pass... cooling hose blew off.

3rd run Sunday (or was it 3 on Monday?) had the radiator cap on only to the 1st notch so covered the engine with coolant.  No Power.

Next pass... fuel pump relay fell out of the socket (Huh?)

I'm loosing track here, but last run Monday we're in Impound along with the Poteete and Main Speed Demon, and we've got them by .2 mph.  Ron and George graciously agree that if they put up a bigger record number and got to Impound first in the morning they'd let Jeanne go first for her hat.  Thank You Ron and George!

Tuesday morning she puts up the bigger number and gets the Red Hat. 

We're beat.  Back to the hotel and Champagne and a nap.  Late in the day (3:00 pm) we get a call.  The Red Hat is no good.  The record had been bumped the day before and hadn't gotten through the system.  And we’re short.  We race back to the salt to try to get in a qualifying pass.  Of course there’s a line.  Jeanne says, "I'm just going to talk to everyone in front of us, tell them what happened and ask if we can go in front of them."  Well, her efforts are immediately thwarted by a less than humble engineer type in the car in front of us.  “No way I’m going to let you get in front of ME!”  Some of you may know him.  Be thankful if you don't.  “Talking” to him was 22 minutes of my life I’ll never get back.  And no, it was not JackD.

So we're skunked for the day.

The next morning I pull all of the Bearcat adaptive stuff out of the car and make a pass and find a front tire had gone soft.  Interesting ride… 235 on a flat tire.

Fill the tire, put all the Jeanne stuff back in... Jeanne makes a pass...pilot chute hooks in the tube.  Next time I see her and the car they're both ankle deep in the lake 7 1/2 to 8 miles out.

Take out the Jeanne stuff.  I make a pass and qualify on the record but want Jeanne to get the hat so put her stuff back in and give her the car for a pass.  Car just doesn't pull.  That’s Thursday afternoon.  And her 10th pass.

Friday morning… last chance.  Jeanne’s on it… 198 in the quarter.  I’m praying… 1st mile 205… a little slow.  It’s going to be close.  209… what???  And 188.  Rats!  Trailer time.  What th’??  As I come upon the car I see the big black U-turn stripe with the puddle under the car.  Uh oh.  Turns out the oil filter gasket blew out and dumped four quarts of oil all over the headers, the belly pan and out the side of the car.  And no fire!  Thanks I believe to the high flash point of the Amsoil synthetic.  But thanks anyway.  And the filter was still tight!  Thanks to “Somebody”.

And really, thanks to all you men and women (yes, even you, Monty) who come up every year to give your hearts and minds (and most of your sleep for two weeks) to our epic gathering.  Some years back when I stepped to the window to pay my first entry fee, I was shocked at the amount.  Then I looked around.  Took in all that was going on and simply said, “Who should I make it out to?”   What an Experience.  What a great “ride”.  How blessed we are to be able to be a part of it all. 

Oh, and the ride home?  One thrown trailer tread, one ripped off mud flap, two tires with sudden tread bulges, and a race car motor with an oil pan full of bearing “confetti”.

Wham bam thank you…???   I don’t think so, Tim. 

The Bonneville Experience.

Again, folks… Thank You,

Jim and Jeanne

Car #1 The Barnyard Bearcat F/GS
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2007, 01:19:12 AM »
Great story Jim, Sorry Jeanne didn't make it. I know you know "NEXT TIME"
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 01:21:29 AM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline power58

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2007, 06:50:46 PM »
It was my first time at Bonneville and a once in a lifetime at Bonneville. Everything was so well run for a spectator. Really enjoyed the experience and plan on coming back next year. Learned a lot and have a lot to learn. The power of the salt is like the game of Golf. It cannot be explained only endured .
My inner child pretty much runs the place

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2007, 08:58:19 AM »
First---Thanks to all of the volunteers---for their efforts and especially their counsel!!!!!!!

Lessons learned!!!!!!!!!!! 
1.  Fuel map on the DYNO down to the eng. speed you pull off the push truck!!!!!
2.  When you are having problems--ask around--there are so many guys that are more than willing to help---and they may have encountered your exact problem and KNOW how to solve it on the SALT!!!!!!--Thanks Paul!!!!!!!!
3.  The wind does not blow the same at different mile markers.
4.  Take a Fuel Jug that you can have ERC seal in case you need fuel for you back up run--get the Mayor to witness you refueling your car.
5.  In '99 when I came out to observe I met Kevin Draper and Muffy from Waco Tx. at the end of the road--he told my wife that I had SALT FEVER and would be back---

As some of you know I have a new car and am "sorting" it out--Have done as much as I can on my own--made a lot of rookie mistakes--
-sought out advice---made changes last year after I blew up the Eng.--am making more now including 3 "orange tag" related: 1. reworking front axle geometry, 2. mounting the tail feathers stronger(they bent 15 deg. from being sideways at 260. 3. adding 400 lbs to the rear axle.
6. I refuse to pay the prices for the rooms that are being used as a crash pad--camp out under a tarp on the ground or tent for the last 3 years at the bend in the road----way down the canal---quieter and safer

7. No matter how bad you want it to happen---you need to accept what the RACE GODS and Mother Nature give you on each run---if you have a coarse that you can't put the power to the ground---just keeping your foot in it will not get it done---turn out and get back in line

I have enjoyed working on being an Eng partner on 4411 in ' 00 & '01 and driving in '01---crew chief on a record setting bike 650/PP
Building  most of my car..

I have not done the number YET  but I am getting close----LIFE IS GOOD---I just love this sport---Thanks VOLUNTEERS!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!