Author Topic: mod rdstr fairing  (Read 15012 times)

Offline russ jensen

Re: mod rdstr fairing
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2007, 12:47:03 AM »
Russ,
 Here are a couple more.
Tom G.
that is a nice looking fairing. if its not considered to be contoured- great- I can do that! thanks for great pics..russ
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2007, 12:49:26 AM »
Set a record and the protest cops arrive to scrutinize for legality. :?
Is that sort of like the circling buzzards mentioned earlier?

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2007, 12:58:22 AM »
Jack, as I understand it the dimensions to make it legal were taken off the old Black Widow I drove that is in Jim L's collection. It was original all around. I heard they made templates or took all of the measurement's off it.
GB
Anybody have templates for my 23 Oakland? Its wider than a T but I don't care -doubt if there are many left- I saw one  @  Murdo SD measum in the wing that burned up in 60 0r 61, and they left as fire left it. Mine has been out in weather since before ww11- still has fair amount of "true blue " paint on it.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2007, 12:55:32 PM »
Russ It will be up to you to supply specifications for the body your are choosing to use. They should be from original style manuals. If one of the "stock" vehicles can be found I would go to it and not only record the measurements but have quality pictures of your taking down the numbers. The SCTA can deam all records set by you on hold until the proof information comes in from you. It's your decision to use a "non-Ford or traditional" vehicle. Doing this puts the burden on you.

I don't discourage this. I only point it out so you know what will be happening.  Everything should be kept with the log book.

When I rebuilt my American Austin for the 1st time, of many rule changes, I brought a stock hood along with the lengthen hood I had on the roadster to a board meeting because of a protest. (they thought they had me that time).

Good luck. J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline desotoman

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2007, 06:32:38 PM »
Russ,
  Glad I could help you.   :-)
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2007, 08:39:18 PM »
Russ It will be up to you to supply specifications for the body your are choosing to use. They should be from original style manuals. If one of the "stock" vehicles can be found I would go to it and not only record the measurements but have quality pictures of your taking down the numbers. The SCTA can deam all records set by you on hold until the proof information comes in from you. It's your decision to use a "non-Ford or traditional" vehicle. Doing this puts the burden on you

Good luck. J.D.
Thanks for the heads up on something that wasn't on my radar screen. Since I have only seen 1 other-that is sure to be gone -as was a bucket of rust from fire -I don't see how I could prove- It's 34" wide @ firewall-my essex is 34 1/2 and 31 A is aprox 35 depending if chrome beauty strip is included-which has to be wider than 23 T- therefore no aero advantage{ probably wouldn't matter to circling buzzards?}If body is obviously not been altered- cept to replace rotten wood. one would think that would be enough- guess not-w/all parts I have collected ;it would be just as easy to build lakester- however that is more like building airplane on wheels- I wanted to avoid aero as much as possible-besides - I don't like visions of rolling pencils.This whole deal is beginning to look like other adventures I got myself into- everybody is happy to see you while the shake out is taking place- then when you start to kick ass they suddenly try to figure a way to take you out.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2007, 12:31:05 PM »
It may be a little early to get upset about this.

JD is only trying to show you easy ways to substantiate your ride.  He's had to do it himself.  And successfully.  before you modify the body into its race car mode, take some pictures with measurements visible -- maybe even with the old wood still in place.  Are you leaving the wood in -- or are you replacing it with metal reinforcement?

The whole idea is to show its stock configuration.  Being wider than an Essex or '23 T is not the point.  Being creative and using something different is great.  But after you've straightened it all out, patched it, reinforced it, and smoothed it, and painted it, it may be hard to see it's still stock.  And the inspectors (and potential protestors) are not familiar with the dozens and dozens of makes of roadsters.  And when you start kicking ass (which is not exactly easy in MR classes), it'll be easier to show them what you started with.

Take his advice and join the fun.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2007, 02:08:42 PM »
Somewhere on the Internet will be an Essex club that can provide you with all the factory original documents including dimensions to keep the buzzards at bay and maybe even for the Ford.

REMARKABLE
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2007, 02:21:37 PM »
Stan and Jack D are right. Club info is a good approach. If you have a dream do it, or be like the rest driving Fords with belly button engines...Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline GeneF

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2007, 06:45:06 PM »
Somewhere on the Internet will be an Essex club that can provide you with all the factory original documents including dimensions to keep the buzzards at bay and maybe even for the Ford.

REMARKABLE

Just don't tell them your hacking it up into a race car, some of those restorer guys can get pretty testy and you might get some bogus dims. along with some hate mail.  :-)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2007, 08:37:10 PM »
I put some 32 Ford front fenders backwards over the rear wheels of my lakester / streamliner once and the gathering mob of resto racers was looking for a tree at El Mirage to hang me.
Just as they were about to snatch me they figured out the fenders were fibreglass and they all became new best friends.
Basketcase took a couple of pictures and put them in Hot Rod.
That was close. :wink:

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2007, 01:01:23 AM »

REMARKABLE
No problem w/ Essex - have a spare cept its a 3 window coupe w/ sucuide doors- the roadster is Oakland- wood is all rotted out and the body panels were nailed to it - it's a bunch or body panels - a couple of doors  & firewall/cowel unit- was going to weld it altogether as a 1 piece unit and skip any wood- bottom of panels are pretty rotten so was going to sandblast & lay epox & kevlar inside to hold together- have looked on net found  Oakland/Pontiac club -were only interested on selling memberships.Guess there aren't any trees @ bville, but this one is pretty far gone for anything but race car. therefore I should be safer from a necktie party than Jack.

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2007, 01:18:21 AM »
Quote from: Stan Back link=topic=2180.msg25463#msg25463 date=1174062665

when you start kicking ass (which is not exactly easy in MR classes),

Stan Back
[/quote
Goes without saying- If my engine has got it it will :if not it will fall into cat  like Jack says - theoretical calculations lead to theoretical results- won't know till it is put to test- but roadster would be better test of eng than lakester- and I like old iron.-like has been said"just glad to be here" will ad- just glad to try.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 01:20:54 AM by russ jensen »