Author Topic: In cabin cooling system tank firewall?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline biglady112

In cabin cooling system tank firewall?
« on: January 29, 2021, 10:18:16 AM »
I will be running a hatchback car with no trunk. I will be adding 8-10 gallons worth of cooling capacity for the engine. I need to order an up to date rule book but, the one I have here does not state that an in cabin coolant/water tank needs to be sealed from the driver compartment.

The plan for the tank is to mount it to the rear of the car 4-5ft behind the driver seat. With the rules being that straight water is to be ran, is a firewall/containment for the rear of the car mandatory?
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline deepindebt

Re: In cabin cooling system tank firewall?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 12:29:58 PM »
 We have a similar set up in our roadster,tank is next to me,only thing that ever came up(2019 SW)was to move vent to outside of drivers area.
327,B/GR

Offline biglady112

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 03:23:28 PM »
That was already in the plans. Thank you. Makes it a little easier to package this.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 03:42:11 PM »
About 25 years ago a well known competitor in a roadster had a flat tank over his legs. It cracked and his legs were scaled by hot water. I would want some kind shield between me and any hot liquids.
My roadster has very limited room and a 9 gallon tank behind me. I have gone to great pains to seal it off or at least deflect it around me. In any coupe, even the hatchback style, I would construct a box around your tank hindging it in front so I could unlatch at the rear and tip to fill.
There is no way Id be sitting next to hot water in a crash/rollover without the minimal protection rule or no rule....
Many hatchbacks have there rear window replaced with sheet aluminum and seal up to it like a firewall from the floorboard. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:47:52 PM by jimmy six »
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 10:13:17 PM »
About 25 years ago a well known competitor in a roadster had a flat tank over his legs. It cracked and his legs were scaled by hot water. I would want some kind shield between me and any hot liquids.
My roadster has very limited room and a 9 gallon tank behind me. I have gone to great pains to seal it off or at least deflect it around me. In any coupe, even the hatchback style, I would construct a box around your tank hindging it in front so I could unlatch at the rear and tip to fill.
There is no way Id be sitting next to hot water in a crash/rollover without the minimal protection rule or no rule....
Many hatchbacks have there rear window replaced with sheet aluminum and seal up to it like a firewall from the floorboard.

Self preservation should always be a primary consideration. Jimmy Six doesn't need a rulebook to tell him that, and neither do I.

Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline biglady112

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 10:47:26 PM »
I understand the risk. Thus , why this was asked. I was burned very badly in a fire four years ago. So much so 40% of me was burned.

I will likely build a small containment. Not a true blue rear firewall but, what I am comfortable being safe with given the constraints of the build. I just needed to see if I was misinterpreting something and if it needed to be a serious, fully sealed firewall.
1947 Dodge Pickup