Author Topic: BLM Stipulations  (Read 14583 times)

Offline Mac

Re: BLM Stipulations
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 01:38:12 PM »
Guys,
If you have questions about this, please ask me. If necessary I can get clarification from the BLM before we go to SpeedWeek. We put the stipulations out early, to give us all time to get our heads wrapped around it.

You can still have a can of beer on the salt flats (I'm guessing you are all over 21 - chronologically speaking anyway.) Just no glass. Please don't drink and drive.

And yes - the BLM do believe the bend in the road is within their area of control. The SRMA is the Bonneville Salt Flats and the BNI/SCTA is under contract to behave in a certain manner within that area - basically from lands end on.  However, the bend in the road is BLM land. When you pass the gas station, you go pass a BLM sign. From there on, you are on public lands, managed by the BLM. They tried to make one set of rules to apply for both to make things ... easier?

They are charging BNI for rangers to patrol the bend in the road as well as the salt. Yes camping is still ok and no, they can't close it down or charge fees to use it (I asked that question too). But they can regulate its use - hence the rangers and rules.

The BLM were generally happy with the way the racing was conducted on the salt. They thought the setup, layout and operation was safe. Their main focus on the flats themselves is the yahoos who go out the back and do donuts (hence the speed limit). Everywhere the rest of us go, our posted signs take precedence.

If you have further questions, please feel free to email me. miriammacmillan@me.com

Miriam Macmillan
BNI Chairman

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2013, 01:48:34 PM »
I'm assuming that glass containers apply to soft drinks as well as beer?  Most people who know me know that I'm addicted to IBC Cream Soda, available only in bottles.  Not a huge deal, but a question, anyway.

Offline Mac

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2013, 01:52:04 PM »
If you are drinking non-alcoholic drinks, and they are in a glass bottle, then rule #4 No person shall possess any glass containers outside of enclosed vehicles, camp trailers or
tents. would apply.

Offline Tman

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 02:05:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply Miriam. Would you mind us reposting that on other forums where this has come up?

Offline Mac

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 02:17:44 PM »
Great idea. Thanks Tman.
I'm more than happy to answer questions and alleviate anxiety about this. If people would rather phone - they can call me as well.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2013, 02:20:01 PM »
Oh, the fun of being picky.  If the "no glass containers on the salt" rule is enforced -- will the officials in impound take fuel samples in non-glass containers?  As I remember -- they use something that looks like baby food jars -- made of glass.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mac

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »
In theory - yes. But.. I have plastic ones!  :evil: or we could set up a tent around the race vehicle and it would be inside a tent!  :-D

Slim,
I went round in circles with them for ages on these. This year we had to submit a nine page essay answering all their questions. All the supporting documentation filled a 1 1/2 inch binder with 30 odd sections. Save me a beer (and a designated driver) for after!

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2013, 03:06:58 PM »
OMG

BNI Chairman
2 club member

And answers our stupid questions! What a combo!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2013, 07:50:35 PM »
Well, Dean -- I know that a few or a bunch of the BNI people look at the stuff on this Forum, and if you'll note - Miriam has a handful of posts already.  She's not a regular like you and me, but still -- she obviously keeps at least one eye open to us. 

Thanks, Miriam.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com