Author Topic: A big thankyou from the UK  (Read 5852 times)

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
A big thankyou from the UK
« on: September 04, 2012, 01:59:33 PM »
2012 was my first trip to SpeedWeek & also my first trip to the USA. I brought over my 1942 Indian (563 A-VG- 500) along with 5 Brit bikes (we shared a container). Wow, America's BIG, it took us 2 days to drive from LA to Wendover!
One thing I learned is that altitude's a great leveller, my bike was running 120mph at sea level in the UK, but could barely manage 80mph on the salt. Another thing I learned was something I already guessed existed, & that was how helpful & friendly everyone was.
Did my bike's lack of performance piss me off? No way. I'm coming back in 2012 (it takes 2 years to save the money).
So....thankyou to EVERYONE especially the volunteers, for a great time.
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.

Offline Buickguy3

Re: A big thankyou from the UK
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 04:19:17 PM »
  Glad you had a good time. Let me know next time you come over. You could take a side trip through Montana. I'd buy lunch and beer.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 04:54:28 PM »
You and I crossed paths many a times.  I'm the big fellow in your pic pointing which way to go. You were a bit of a celebrity over on course 4.  Looking forward to seeing you in two.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Online kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:18:56 PM »
Nathan, did you get some bigger clothes this year? :roll:
  Sid.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 11:57:22 PM »
 :? 

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 07:57:15 AM »
You and I crossed paths many a times.  I'm the big fellow in your pic pointing which way to go. You were a bit of a celebrity over on course 4.  Looking forward to seeing you in two.

Hi Nathan, so it was your fault I had to sit on the line for 15 minutes in full leathers, waiting for the track to be cleared? And it's hard to describe how I felt on my first run as you slammed my visor down & pointed "GO"....... Brilliant, a moment I'll cherish for the rest of my life, & on behalf of everyone from the UK (and everyone else) thanks for the good work you & all the other volunteers do. Celebrity???

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:08:18 PM »
LOL yeah I figured I'd give you a hand... good timing on my part as you go driving off and I manage to smack your visor down.  As far as the wait time goes maybe you should have a chat with your fellow vintage motorcycle enthusiasts as they seem to have a tendency to not always make it down or completely off the course... no problems with you though.  You were my exemplary student... always ready on time, bike always started quickly, taking off right (minus the visor lowering), and making good clean runs.  Nice job.

Figured you'd be famous having that BBC crew following you around.  The one camera gal told me folks were calling you Burt Munro. 

Offline Briz

• Custom cycle developments
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 09:13:17 AM »
...... maybe you should have a chat with your fellow vintage motorcycle enthusiasts as they seem to have a tendency to not always make it down or completely off the course...

Oops! That'd be me then! Sorry 'bout that. Can only plead mechanical difficulties... :oops:
Cant really claim vintage status either.
But I'd like to echo Chris's thanks for everything. What a fantastic event.  :-D

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 02:46:35 PM »
The Burt Monroe moment....I was sat in the support van all leathered up & ready to go when some geezer leaned in and said "I'd just like to shake your hand sir, if it wasn't for you & your film, I wouldn't be here now". Unfortunately the BBC's cameras weren't rolling! Dunno if he thought I was Burt or Sir Anthony Hopkins, but it made us laugh (after he'd gone).

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 11:37:32 PM »
It seems most of you are coming back.  That is great.

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 09:15:34 AM »
Hi Wobbly, I think most of us had decided to come back before we even left, the only pain is that it'll take 2 more years to save enough money, I'm bustin' to be there next year. Salt Fever? Me????