Author Topic: Heating rims with tires mounted, everyone needs to know the consequences.  (Read 3531 times)

Offline desotoman

I saw this video on another site and asked if I could post it here. Take 10 minutes of your time and watch it. I thought it was very informative.

Tom G.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBUVzgCHHuA

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Tman

Re: Heating rims with tires mounted, everyone needs to know the consequences.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 06:07:12 PM »
Informative but who would be dumb enough to weld on a mounted tire/wheel!?!?!?!?! Best case would be a melted damaged tire, worst case is the big boom you see.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »
not to many years back there were 2 fatalities in Tx from such stupidity as welding on mounted wheels
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 06:15:18 PM »
Informative but who would be dumb enough to weld on a mounted tire/wheel!?!?!?!?! Best case would be a melted damaged tire, worst case is the big boom you see.

You might be surprised. Did you catch the part about car fires, heating rims to get them off a hub, running with brakes dragging etc. It was just not about welding, it was about heating the rim in general and how long it takes for the reaction to occur.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 07:08:29 PM »
Reminds me of the story Earl Wooden told me about running the streamliner.  Had a (engine?) problem on the course, and I think the chute didn't come out, so he got on his fancy new carbon brakes and pulled to a stop.  They got so hot they were ruined along with melting the wheel weights and ruining the tires.  They didn't explode, but sure cooked them.

He decided to restart the smoking car and clear the course, got it started and fried the clutch when nothing would move.  He was joking about it years later, but probably not at the time.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Tman

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 07:57:32 PM »
I guess I was smart enough to notice the smoke rolling off my coaster brake as a kid to understand that friction generates heat and that it can hurt! :-D :roll: :cheers:

The welding part is just a no brainer!

But thanks for posting it. It is very interesting, and Darwinism still lives :wink: