Author Topic: Has anyone done Aerial views of the track?  (Read 6997 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: Has anyone done Aerial views of the track?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 06:13:57 PM »
Dyno....That's my screen saver............JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Freud

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 10:03:22 PM »
Good presentation, Dean

FREUD
Since '63

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
Ffloid, I KNOW you mean twelve miles past the NV/UT border on the old hiway.

I'm hoping some (under 70) newbies don't think you had to somehow travel to the 12 mile point on the race course to enter the event. Thats a long way down the salt bed.

(You know, those kind that post "I'm stupid, but I love landspeed racing. Design my car/ bike, tell me how to tune and drive it. Get me a red hat!").
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline 754

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 11:48:32 PM »
Freud I flew over? about 13 yrs ago, from Vancouver BC to DFW..
 Thought I saw the flats, but the realized there was several other spots that looked like it could be there..

So, dont know if I saw it or how many fairly big dry lakes are out there

My computer is old & tired , doubt it will pull in Google anymore.. if I bring that up, it stil wont show what I am after.

I like the pics shown what I was sorta hoping to see if it exists, is a google type shot that shows from Bend in the road to at least floating mtn, with some former track locations drawn in with pen sort of thing... like a red line showing current tracks, track in the 60s, the first original location.. that sort of thing, but I dont know if that exists?

I have only been in the spectator/pit areas, never at the start or finish, got no concept if the 12 mile is 5 miles from floating mtn or 14 ? I assume the current tracks are approx 1/2 way between the freeway and mtns to the north, but cant really tell.. just get the feeling the track encompasses 1/2 of the salt aea going west to east.. but cant really tell..

Offline Freud

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 01:14:51 AM »
Bystander, you have cleared up a under described point. Yes, it was on the old highway, before the freeway was built, and still using the

mileage markers starting from the Nevada border, going East. So, 12 miles east of the Nevada border we would turn left, cross the

oncoming lane of the two lane highway and hit the blindingly white salt. The wooden bridge crossed the canal and the pits and race area

were beyond that. People coming from the highway immediately accessed the pits. There was no admittance fee.

It wasn't until the access road that we now have was built, that the pits were on the mountain side. The  course turn off was to the right

and that meant it was a long drive back to the pits because the cars had to go behind the starting line and then back to the pits. The pits

were closer to the starting line and there weren't spectators anywhere near the three mile marker or beyond.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 08:06:21 AM »
Here's a map taken from google maps.  It shows the access road, the long course (approximately) and an idea of the endurance course.

For what it's worth.

Btw, 752, come with me to the starting line or the 5 mile mark some time.  You'll see a completely different perspective.

Offline 754

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 11:13:23 AM »
All righty, think I got what I was after..

My brother sent me an aerial google view, with the track drawn on it, you can see past the mountain to the north in one spot (looks like another salt lake).

I now see how much of the salt flat is used by the track!, most of it, more than I thought. Track also runs near 45 degrees to Interstate, I thought it was far less angled.

It certainly put most of it into perspective for me, that view is off Wikipedia, I think, and jives with what Ray just posted..

Keep the aerial shots coming, I am really enjoying them..

Offline willieworld

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:50:21 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 01:42:36 PM »
Here are some shots from 2002.  If you look closely you can see the courses and the pits.
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline Freud

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 08:32:09 PM »
DCarr511, is that Boyd Coddington's motorhome way off to the right in your aerial foto?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 09:34:39 PM »
DCarr511, is that Boyd Coddington's motorhome way off to the right in your aerial foto?

FREUD

It sure looks like it.

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 11:24:27 AM »

FREUD

First ... thats not my photo ... just something I noticed about it when it was first posted in 2007

2nd ... That looks like it could BC's motorhome

I know I can see my canopy at the 2 mile mark on Burfurd Blvd.