Author Topic: Spectator regulations at El Mirage ?  (Read 3476 times)

Jan_Germany

Spectator regulations at El Mirage ?
« on: July 20, 2005, 03:47:59 AM »
Hi !
I am from northern Germany and currently planning a trip to California in September. The El Mirage Race on Sept.,11th is a must-see on my list, of course.  :D

But I read on the SCTA-webpage, that there might be restrictions for spectators entering the race course.
 "All spectators are allowed in the starting line area with a signed insurance form and wrist tag, otherwise spectators must be outside the barrier fence."

So, is there any chance for me and my friend to get close to the race track and the competitors or do we have to stay outside the fence? Or could we get one of these insurances?
And how far away is this fence from the track? Do we need field glasses anyway?

I would very much appreciate it, if you could provide me some (general) information.

Thanks a lot !
C U there,
Jan

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
spectator regs.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 09:52:48 AM »
Jan
Basically the whole area is open to spectators. The starting line is somewhat restricted, the pit area is wide open to all. Watching from the side lines is marked with cones on both sides. Enjoy your trip to the lakes.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Jan_Germany

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 11:11:53 AM »
Thanks a lot for the quick answer!

I'm very much :!:  looking forward to the event,
C U there,
Jan

Offline pookie

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 11:30:23 AM »
8) Hi Jan, I live forty kilometers from El Mirage lake and attend every meet. Here are a few hints about seeing the races. If you can get there at about 1200 hrs on Sat, so you can watch the cars being registered and safety checked. You can stand next to all the cars and motorcycles and Really check them  out close. Sunday racing starts at 0730 hrs. Bring LOTS of water,preferbly with ice container or LOTS of money and you can purchase food and drinks,ie;water soda at food standon Sun only. Wear some type of head covering lite clothing and sun screen, very hot,dry and sometimes dusty,also sun glasses. You can register on Sun in the staging lanes for the insurance and wrist band,which is used for I.D. then you can get right next to the vehicles. The course is 1.3 miles long and  you can sit in your car along the borders of the course and watch the vehicles as they make thier runs. Field glasses are a nice addition because you can barely see the starting line from the finish line. Lodging is available any where from 10 to 30 miles away from track, or you can camp out on the lake bed, but bring food and drinks. Any more questions just ask on this forum and I'll answer them in as much detail as possible. Also a great souvenir stand there  for shirts hats, posters and mementos of your visit.

Jan_Germany

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 01:34:55 PM »
Wow, so much information,
thank you very much, its very kind of you!!

I will be at the race for sure!
Regards, Jan

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 02:08:03 PM »
If you're going to be at the September 11 El Mirage event -- does your schedule have room for you to go to Bonneville 13-17th September for the USFRA World of Speed?  It's a one-day drive from EM to Bville -- you could arrive on the Salt in time to watch Tech inspection and racing for the rest of the week, too.

Two land speed events in one week -- that'd be a trip to remember!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com