Author Topic: surfaces  (Read 2791 times)

Offline hawkwind

surfaces
« on: March 19, 2009, 04:54:44 AM »
I have a query , what surface (salt, dirt or tarmac) is the hardest to to go fast on , say 200+ mph and what are your reasons for your answer ,any answers from car , bike or truck guys welcome , also say you had 3 courses of equal length ,say for instance 2 miles which one would see the greatest speeds (all being equal)  salt? , dirt?, or tarmac
slower than most

Offline woz

Re: surfaces
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 07:42:42 AM »
Hawkwind,

There was a thread I remembered from a while back with some interesting thoughts.

Woz

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3569.msg45922.html#msg45922

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 08:56:01 AM »
Hawk, you forgot to set all the variables...
I must say concrete or asphalt with no crosswind and 80 feet wide would easily be the best provided you have tires...

The dirt... are you the first guy or the 30th?  is it hard and smooth or is it rutted and loose...

The salt... is it hard and smooth, or popcorn surfaced, it it wet, are there soft spots... are you the first guy on the track or is this the third day and the big HP guys have been rutting

Seemed like a simple question.... no simple answer in my opinion, but what do I know, I stayed at home last night... guess I shoulda gone to the Holiday Inn  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 09:32:09 AM »
Pavement or concrete would be the easiest and take the least horsepower. Salt and dirt would probably be similar but I don't know either but would love to find out.

Later
http://www.SaltSurfers.com
Nothing succeeds like persistence. I hope!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 10:50:56 AM »
Salt vs. Dirt-
     Dirt- A good El Mirage track you can excellerate harder sooner.  November El Mirage had a good begining and a bad second half course, resulting for me a loose track and a shut down.

Salt- A good Bonneville surface equals a good take off and a sustained excelleration for a greater overall speed.  A bad Bonneville surface equals a hold on and keep it between the lines and hope for the best. :cheers:

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 11:19:44 AM »
If you are racing a Turbo charged sidecar............
Tarmac is what you want to go REAL fast............
Traction has always been a big problem for us on salt............same gearing on tarmac.... plus as much 20mph.................................................................

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 12:00:57 PM »
The lower air density at the salt flats means it requires less HP to go fast...but on the flipside the lower air density also means you will make less HP.

This is one reason why a blown engine has a big advantage over NA on the salt.....they can artificially have more air and still have the same aero advantage.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline maj

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 05:22:02 PM »
Gary the 750 this year showed fairly clearly some differences, on good salt it took just short of 2 miles to get to 200mph and at Elmo in Nov  Jim managed over 200 in 1.3

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 05:26:59 PM »
Jim also had a very good run position as well.. :cheers:

Then Fogi runs 249 on a beat up course.. :-o

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 09:24:10 PM »
NITROMETHANE conquers all!

At least in the case of the 66 Rdstr.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline maj

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 09:54:07 PM »
Jim also had a very good run position as well.. :cheers:

Then Fogi runs 249 on a beat up course.. :-o

And he told me of a good coach :cheers:

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 02:14:20 PM »
Raced on all three, or four depending on how you look at Maxton (concrete /asphalt patches).

Concrete hands down the best for traction and control. next is the Salt, traction is controllable but the vehicles have wandered a bit, small corrections, see where it goes, adjust.  The dirt at El Mirage has given me my most hairy moments. The traction isn't that bad, depends on how you attack the course. Avoid the ruts from the 200MPH line, PLAN which side of the course you'll run, and a few other secrets passed down from the "Dirty" Two club members and your ok. The vehicles tend to wander a bit more than on the Salt, gotta really be careful on the corrections. Hitting a soft spot in the dirt at speed is the worst, got my spin pin that way, nose dives in, rear wheels start slipping, car going sideways, left, right, pop the chute and hang on......

My Personal Opinions and Observations, your experiences may differ, tax title and gratuties extra....iligitimus non coborundum
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder