Author Topic: Rat rod motor ID needed  (Read 8626 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: Rat rod motor ID needed
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 05:18:37 PM »
Next time just tell them it's a Henway............That's always worked foe me........JD Again
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 05:41:05 PM »
i had a 54 vette for 17 years...those arnt the "carter YH" pos carbs.... dont see a really good shot of the manifold to tell if its vette or not..... nice to see somethin other than a sbc or flatty
kent

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2008, 05:45:30 PM »
JD, good comeback. :-D :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Crosley

Re: Rat rod motor ID not needed anymore....
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2008, 06:39:35 PM »

I hope you haven't taken offense Six-Shooter , I mean ,you've told people what it is and they're still speculating.....In general people get asked questions about things they've built and what they say is usually regarded as being close to correct, like , you know , they were there when it happened...............................

"man I love that Chevy you got there"... ...
"it's a GMC" "
yeah , MY pal had a Chev like that, he was mad for 'em"...
"it's a Jimmy 302".....
""Is it a blue flame?" ....
"it's a GMC"
" holy hail, and they look like Corvette parts too , ya can't go past Chev's eh?"
"It's , um, a GMC"
"now, why dontcha sit yerself down and tell me all about it.....'cause I thought I knew everything about Chevrolets"
" ahem , you might just do but like I said yesterday that motor , in that car there, is a GMC 302"
 :-D :cheers: :-D :cheers: :-D :cheers:

I have a couple of 1961 Morris Minor 1000  cars.... quite often folks ask me about my "Volkwagen"... 

They have never seen a VW body style like that  or the ol comment  " I Had a VW like that in college"

8-)
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Rat rod motor ID not needed anymore....
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2008, 06:44:26 PM »

I have a couple of 1961 Morris Minor 1000  cars.... quite often folks ask me about my "Volkwagen"... 

They have never seen a VW body style like that  or the ol comment  " I Had a VW like that in college"

8-)

I'm constantly asked - "is that an MGB Midget?".  The confusion continues when I say, "No, but I have one of each". :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2008, 06:48:33 PM »
JD says it's a henway, I believe him.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2008, 06:58:11 PM »
Hello, this is Six Shooter and I own the car under discussion.   The motor is a 302 Jimmy built between 1952 and 1958.   It has 196 HP to the rear tires.  If you have any questions, just ask.

Don't be confusing us with facts and numbers. I say let the speculation continue. :cheers:

I LOVE this car of yours - and thanks for letting us have some fun with it, too!

Tell us about the drivetrain - what are you running for a tranny and rear end?

Chris

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2008, 07:06:43 PM »
I had a panel van, a Holden, which is a GM subsidiary, a 1964...but they used to put the previous model taillights on vans and what we call utes, the model was called EH  the previous model was EJ and bar few changes( totally different motor) they were to all but the pedants indistinguishable.The important point being there are no panel vans with EH taillights....it never stopped .

"I like the EJ you've got there"
"Actually it's an EH"
"Mate, I know me Holdens , and THAT is an EJ"

it went on for years, never anything interesting just boring opinionated pedants...." It's an EJ"
 Now I have an HR ute and guess what?....it has HD tail lights....there are no utes with HR tail lights....
"I like that HD ute"
..."It's an HR"

I once had a Marshall guitar amp , tired of the cliche I removed the big white "Marshall" logo and replaced it with a curtsy script "Kingswood" badge from a 1978 Holden sedan( the Kingswood was the family model the Statesman was a long wheelbase with all the gear).....If i had a buck for every time I got asked without the slightest hint of irony what type of guitar amplifier it was I'd have retired ...I used to just say "nah it's a local model mate they're just as good as the imported ones....in fact I like it so much I'm thinking of stepping up to a Statesman"....

BTW Six-Shooter are you sure that's your car? .......people make mistakes you know :-D
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2008, 07:13:12 PM »
I had a panel van, a Holden, which is a GM subsidiary . . .

Of course, it's a Holden 6!

Better tell the owner, he thinks he's got a 302 Jimmy in that Austin! :-D

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2008, 07:47:35 PM »
Hey, now! Like, ya got it wrong, you know.  Like, the 302, you know, came in, like, Mustangs, maybe, I think, like, and they are, you know, V-8s, like, you know.  At least, like, I think so, you know.

---anonymous

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline six shooter

• New folks
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2008, 09:18:23 PM »
Chris,
Thanks for the comments.    The transmission is a 1948-52 Packard 3 speed with overdrive and a 1937 top loader.   The rear end is a 1941 Ford banjo with 4.44 gears.

Six Shooter