Author Topic: Future Land Speed Racer?  (Read 4632 times)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
Future Land Speed Racer?
« on: October 17, 2008, 01:53:03 PM »
The owner of this car approached me about a trade for a motorcycle I have for sale. Do you think this would be a good starting place for a future LSR car? With the proper mods and saftey equipment, I was thinking this might be good for Maxton, the Texas mile or even Bonneville. I'm just a motorcycle guy, so tell me what you think...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280277338007

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 01:55:28 PM by Rchop »
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Future Land Speed Racer?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 02:18:49 PM »
Randy,

The bigger question is do you want this car bad enough to trade a bike for..?

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:57:32 PM »
That's a good question John.
My answer was a definite yes until I found out the car didn't have AC in it. I understand why it was removed and I would have done it myself if I was going to build a car strictly for racing. I just can't justify a car for racing 6 or 7 weekends a year that we wouldn't be very comfortable driving during the summer around here. The wife was even open to the idea if we could drive it on the road around here sometimes.
Of course there's always the reason I put the Harley up for sale... to get the money for my current LSR bike build. Trading wouldn't get me any closer to that goal either. But then, I haven't always followed the path that made the most sense LOL
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

McRat

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:29:23 PM »
I'll admit I'm curious at how he came up with a 10.89 ET.  Private track day, maybe?  Normally you are running a rollbar at the drags starting at 11.49.

If you are going after a Bonneville record with it, seems the ante would be past 250mph.  Not sure if a Mustang body would be a good (aero) choice or not for those speeds.  I think a 4th gen Firebird, Camaro, or Corvette would take less power?  But I'm a Cheby-guy. :-D

Personally I always get jumpy at buying someone else's project street car.  Often they are sold because they are a PITA and the owner gets frustrated. 

To run 10's or do Bonneville, you will make the car a PITA as soon as you cage it.  Even a rollbar reduces the car's street-worthiness, visibility, storage, strange noises, etc, are all going be issues.

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »
Good food for thought there Pat, thanks. Like I said, I'm a motorcycle guy and I was hoping for input from people that know more about cars than I do. The aero limitations make sense.

Now, tell me what PITA means :-P
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

saltfever

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »
Now, tell me what PITA means :-P
Pain In The Ass

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 06:12:23 PM »
Friends dont let friends drive fords.

On the flip side of buying someone elses project car that it is the norm that you can not sell a hot rodded vehicle for what you have in it and can save huge if you were to buy the parts and do it yourself. Truth be known this car has likely had the poop run out of it but there is nothing I can see that was done to the car that would be a source of problems that you would not find in any other vehicle you would build yourself.

All race vehicles are a PITA....some more than others....

Heres what I say:

If the guy selling it is aged 35+ go for it.
If the guy selling it is under 35 dont get it.

-JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 06:14:34 PM »
BTW:
I think that would have to run in MS.

The car as it sits would have a big disadvantage running in near stock body form from what others have run in this class.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 06:57:49 PM »
All good points. I have always been a chevy man until I bought my F350 7.3 diesel dually. Best truck I have ever had! If I want to get into cars, I think my best bang for the buck would be an older camaro. I should probably sell the Harley outright and look around for an older camaro.
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 07:53:24 PM »
does it have a stereo? real race cars dont have doors......
kent

Offline RichFox

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 08:00:17 PM »
I don't believe any Mustang is legal for Mod Sport. Maybe Gas Coup or Pro Supercharged or something but it's not a sports car.

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 10:16:18 PM »
does it have a stereo? real race cars dont have doors......
kent

Darn, I forgot to ask about that :-P LOL
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 11:29:26 AM »
 :roll: Stay with what you do and know best. Mustangs are a bad choice for sustained really high speeds. It would, however make a fun driver and weekend racer at the local drag strip in bracket racing. :-D
Your original idea sounds like the best row-to-hoe  8-)

Terry  :cheers:
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 12:18:44 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. I have decided not to make the trade for the Mustang. It sounds like a fun car, but I think I would have more fun with something I build myself.
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc