Author Topic: Land Speed History Lesson  (Read 2430 times)

Offline angryyouth

• "Not so much the youth part but definately still Angry"
  • New folks
Land Speed History Lesson
« on: November 07, 2007, 10:47:10 PM »
I just wanted to take a second and thank several of the active members of this forum as well as encourage anyone to provide more of the stories and personal accounts of all things land speed related. Over the months several of you have posted incredible personal accounts and factual information regarding our sport. Due to its exclusiveness and less then publicized nature, Some of the good stuff, I.E. stories, history, people, are not sometimes shared with all who appreciate it. I am a History buff as well as a Land speed junky and love reading about the stories from years past and encourage all of you to share these stories with others not just here on this forum but in your personal life with your family and friends. I think I can speak confidently that we don't just love this sport because we like going fast,but we enjoy the people and the vehicles who make up this sport. So once again I encourage all and any to share your history and remind you of the old saying. "You can't know where you are going, without knowing where, who or what has already been". :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Land Speed History Lesson
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 12:07:58 AM »
Might I suggest a really compelling book, published in 1936, called "Speed on Salt - A History of the Bonneville Salt Flats", by George Eyston and W. F. Bradly, with a great foreword by Sir Martin Campbell.  It's been out of publication since, I believe, 1947 (and to anyone reading this, if I stand corrected, please let me know). The publisher was B. T. Batsford LTD, London.  It's tough to find, but worth seeking out.

I stumbled across a copy at the Golda Meir library at the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, about ten years ago. They wouldn't let me check it out - it was in the reserve section - but without the knowledge or permission of the librarians, I photocopied the whole thing, front to back.

It's almost as much a travelogue of America as it is a historical and period perspective on the Salt Flats, taken from a British viewpoint.  It also documents Sir Campbellā€™s 300+ mph record runs in "Bluebird", the beautiful Rolls Royce powered streamliner.  And the photos are fantastic.  To see pics of old Fords and streamliners on the salt, then and now, you really get a feel for the way this sport has changed just enough to stay the same.

In fact, much of my interest in building an MG for the salt is an acknowledgement of the extent to which this obscure British book has inspired me.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline aircap

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:00:28 AM »
You can find copies of the "Speed on Salt" on eBay nearly all the time.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 09:05:07 PM »
That book might have been the in the library at Willard Junior High in Santa Ana that I read in the 8th grade. That book, plus a red and white logo (Hot Rod, I believe it said) on a magazine I saw at the local drugstore is why I'm here posting this tonight and why I'll be at El mirage Dry Lake tomorrow.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 11:13:01 PM »
Gray Baskerville's accounts took me to El Mirage as a spectator for the first time in 1993 - last weekend of the season - 2 days in mid-November.  I have the rulebook I picked up there in front of me right now.  Chuck Kalbach mailed me out a map with directions from Victorville.  He was running a 52, or maybe a 53 ford, patina green. 

I also seem to remember a bunch of Mazda guys running around with clipboards.

But the most interesting item I saw, and this always seems to ring true at most racing events, was not a race car, but a spectator's car - a very cool T roadster with a Toyota Hemi V-8 of some sort in it.  I remember leaving late that afternoon, the sun setting and silhouetting this perfectly improbable roadster, and watching its owner fire it up and take his leave of a perfect day in the high desert.

Enjoy your weekend - I wish I were there.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: