Author Topic: When to Race at Bonneville  (Read 4705 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
When to Race at Bonneville
« on: March 03, 2005, 12:53:00 AM »
I am getting a Hayabusa ready to run at Bonneville, but as I am new at this, and have never been to Bonneville, I am confused about which event I should attend.

Speed Week?
 BUB?
 USFRA?

What are the advantages to each?

Thanks in advance
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline MadDuck

Re: When to Race at Bonneville
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 02:40:00 AM »
Been to USFRA and SCTA, friends at Bub and I am opinionated and biased.

We go to SCTA for the 6.5 days of racing. Pretty much a guarantee of at least three good salt days.  Hotel rooms are real hard to get and prices are higher.  Experience  of speed week is very special.  You will get fewer runs in as there are many more competitors.

Bub pays cash if your best.  Short meet Bikes only seems to be well recieved by the folks that were there.  We didn't run but there were real organization problems which they will still be wroking thru.  Real potential,  AMA so any records set will not be in offical "SCTA record book.

USFRA is a four day meet and tech people seem to be the same as SCTA Tech, real good and a lot of help.  Saftey is always important.

For a first attempt I would go either SCTA or USFRA just for the tech inspection and the "helpful advice" from the other racers that have been there before.  Show up and run, it will be worth all the effort.
Fly on RI Rocket #27

John Beckett

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 09:24:00 AM »
  For a first attempt I would go either SCTA or USFRA just for the tech inspection and the "helpful advice" from the other racers that have been there before.  Show up and run, it will be worth all the effort.
Good advice. Speed Week is the biggest event of the season. World of Speed is a little more laid back and maybe a good place for a beginner to get his feet wet.

JB

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 09:25:00 AM »
It's going to be a wet year. Don't pass up your first available event and plan on a later one.
 You will be sad if you pass up good days and take a chance it will be better at a later date.
 The all bike meet will get a lot better and you will get more runs as the track conditions permit.
 If you are seriously eunning a bike, you won't see much else. If it's your first time, you will get more pictures at Speedweek at the expence of your running time.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 12:08:00 PM »
Although this would be more relevant to a four wheel vehicle, I have said  before and I will say it again, the best thing I did when building my car was to go to Speedweek first as a spectator and look at and visit with the people already running cars in classes simillar to what I was building.  You will get honest answers to your questions, and a much better idea of what you need as far as safety, design, and support equipment.  Motel rooms are pretty much non existent for Speedweek, so make sure you have a place to stay before making the trip, unless you don't mind driving 100 miles to Salt Lake City.
Bob Drury

John Beckett

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 12:51:00 PM »
How far is it to Wells?

JB

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 12:52:00 PM »
What do those guys from Wa. know anyway ?
 Well I'll tell you how they found out.
 He is exactly correct. Even if you don't have an entry, try to get in with a crew so you can see the event from the inside out.
 Lots of pictures will be a lasting reward if nothing else.
 Even if you are only the rag man, your efforts will be appreciated and the time well speant.
 If you like to take pictures, you could be the team Photog, they never get enough.
 ENJOY
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 01:12:00 PM »
60 miles
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 01:46:00 PM »
If staying in Wells, you might try Donna's Bunny Ranch..........take extra cash.
Bob Drury

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »
Hey ! That remindes me, Robbie never brought me any change.
 Everybody knows how far it is from Wendover. Heck there is even a round trip speed record.
 What is the record from Vancouver Wa. to Wells and back ?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 02:30:00 PM »
I'd vote for Speed Week in August if you have never been.  There is more than just running there and that week is an unforgettable experience.

Rooms are real hard to get Fri./Sat. at this point, but Sunday night on you can find a room.  A lot of us camp at "the bend in the road" on the road that goes from the interstate to the salt.  No Facilities, but a great time. There are a number of places like the truck stop just down the road to take a shower and once you meet someone who has a motel room you also have access to showers.

I've gone for a number of years as a spectator and last year was the first as a crew member.  We had a rookie team, driver, amd car yet we still got 2 runs in on Sat. and 2 runs in on Sunday before we encountered oil pressure problems.  From Monday on the cars running goes down so the opportunity to run goes up.  If you are prepared and organized you can get at least one run on Sat./Sun and more per day after that.

Bring lots of water, sunscreen, sun glasses and shade and you will love it.

c ya, Sum

207 mph with Hooley

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 02:14:00 PM »
World Finals in October, SCTA, Smaller that Speedweek, Cooler weather (Rain can be a Crapshoot) hence faster times, and more runs (last day you can do laps).

<small>[ March 04, 2005, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Mike Meierle ]</small>
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder