Author Topic: Not running at the test & tune  (Read 1669 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Not running at the test & tune
« on: June 30, 2022, 11:06:18 AM »
 muutt  :dhorse: Well I've run into a big fat problem here that will prevent me from making passes at the T&T. I have two Electromotive Tech-2's running the dual ignition & Moran injectors but the laptop won't communicate with the system. I could live with the spark settings but it's not going to run with garden hose injectors on the current settings. Electromotive closed their doors recently so there is no tech support anymore. I'll have to change the system but there is no time left for that.
I still plan to take it down to the salt to get inspected, get all the paperwork rolling & renew my license again, it's been better than 10yrs since my last pass.
I don't know If I can make my rookie pass in the suburban but If anybody would like to lend me a seat to do that I would return the favor if you could fit in my liner.
See you on the salt.
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Not running at the test & tune
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 01:51:04 PM »
Sid... When you say won't communicate with the system what does that mean?  What operating system are you using and what does it require to communicate.  If using a modern computer do you need a serial converter since most laptops haven't had a serial port for about 15 years.  I've kept a XP system alive to run my M4 Motec that requires DOS and a serial port. 
If it is saying device not found you might need to go in to the device manager and find the port it is connected to... That is a problem I have with my old Motec almost every time I fire it up.
We have folks around here that might be able to coach you through it... give us more info.
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 07:10:30 PM »
If your having to run a serial converter there is a lot of them that or not worth buying, as they do not support the complete serial port conversion. I have found the best one to use cost a little more but you want one that is made by FTDI. They are the mother of invention of these converters and make there own chips and cable that I have never found not to work.

https://ftdichip.com/

This gets you to there website if you need one.

You might also try this old form as there are some employee's of EMI that posted there and maybe if you can get a hold of one of them, they could help

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/electromotivetec/

« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 07:20:37 PM by Steve Cole »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 09:51:28 AM »
I'm not very tech savvy, barrel valves & blowers is my style. The laptop is the correct one for these Electromotive systems & was used by the previous owner of this engine. I had an EFI Live tuner trying to work it out bet he was unsuccessful. The plan from here is to change to a new system & drive the twin coil packs but just won't be able to change spark spread. There's no time left for that right now so the plan is to drag this dead fish down there & take care of all the paperwork stuff & give my brain some rest. :-P
  Sid.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 11:49:14 AM »
Gross changes in the fuel pressure maybe?

Offline jl222

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 05:38:37 PM »
  Sid...I'm with you on barrel valves, blowers and tech savvy but the 222 runs better with EFI

Stop by the Langlo Racing pits and check out our Holley EFI and maybe get in touch with our tuner

LANGLO RACING on front and sides of trailer. Pitting between the 3 and 4

JL222
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 05:44:14 PM by jl222 »

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 08:18:21 PM »
Sid I feel your pain I enjoy the analog world this high tech stuff gives me headaches. 
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 08:41:50 PM »
Sid I feel your pain I enjoy the analog world this high tech stuff gives me headaches.

The analog tech can be high tech, too. It isn't necessarily digital.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 12:51:52 AM »
  Sid...I'm with you on barrel valves, blowers and tech savvy but the 222 runs better with EFI

Stop by the Langlo Racing pits and check out our Holley EFI and maybe get in touch with our tuner

JL222
Are you going to be at the T&T? My trailer doesn't have any luxuries like sides! :lol:
  Sid.

Offline jl222

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 03:09:30 AM »

JL222
Are you going to be at the T&T? My trailer doesn't have any luxuries like sides! :lol:
  Sid.

Just at August meet.

JL222

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 11:41:31 AM »
I need to have my $hit together by then!
  Sid.