Author Topic: Shane Tecklenburg tunes an Indy Turbo Cosworth  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Shane Tecklenburg tunes an Indy Turbo Cosworth
« on: January 09, 2021, 12:47:09 PM »
Here's a 15-min video Shane put together after spending a few days at Roush's dyno in Livonia, Michigan tuning a '95 Indy engine.  You might recognise him fro the salt:  Shane tunes (and way more) the Speed Demon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR36UfFtdNKRXsOxzvEwSE9Al1bZ1l1FRUxSWO1GqArnp9z1Gl72LlYgRLg&v=PjYUlmhE0pQ&feature=youtu.be
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: Shane Tecklenburg tunes an Indy Turbo Cosworth
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 09:04:33 PM »
Maybe we should strap this piece of jewelry to a dyno and sell audio clips of her spinning 8 grand  :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 09:08:48 PM »
I'll bite, what is it?
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline floydjer

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 09:41:08 PM »
Novi V8....The sound that thing creates makes my short hairs stand on end.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Mike Borders

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 04:27:11 AM »
More like 10,500 rpm if memory serves.  The straight-cut supercharger gears spinning at 25,000 rpm put out a scream that would put a Banshee to shame.  I heard it many times on the radio while listening to the 500 with my Dad "way back when".  TV coverage then never cut it from the sound standpoint -- on the radio, you could hear that thing coming from Turn 4 all the way down the front straight.  Incredible.

I think Andy Granatelli got the final iteration of this motor up to over 700 hp (compared to the 600 hp of the Offenhauser that everyone else ran at the time), and Tom Rathmann was the only driver with the skill (balls) to run it without an 80% throttle block.  There's footage somewhere of Rathmann lighting up all 4 tires coming out of turn 4 on lap 1 and completely blowing past the leader who was about 10 lengths ahead of him.

An incredible motor that was deliberately excised from Indy competition by the Rules committee when they changed the max displacement from, I think, 187 c.i. down to 160 c.i..  This was simple for Offy engines because they used sleeves, but the Novi was a solid block and could not be modified.  The rules committee continued this trend in later years, protecting their little fiefdom from innovation and competition, when they later banned 4WD, then restricting the intakes of the turbine cars so much they couldn't compete, plus many more "adjustments" in following years.

Here's a link to a little historical account of the Novi if anyone's interested:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBHBmq7bnHs
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 04:49:38 AM by Mike Borders »

Offline floydjer

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 10:42:09 AM »
Mike...She is old,Let's not make her work too hard...Found a pic of a car one of those engines resides in today...Rather rotund fellow w/crossed arms is Robert "Buck" Boudeman the car's owner/restorer. ( passed away a few years ago)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 09:53:42 PM by floydjer »

Offline RansomT

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 11:33:45 AM »
Back to the orginal post (video).   I had to get my head wrapped around that a 2.65l makes 765 HP with only 8.5 psi of boost.  I work with engines 1/2 that size and for them to make 380 HP, it takes quite a bit more boost than that.   And yes, boost is a measurement of restriction and not flow, but it still should be in the same ball park. 
Until I ran the boost "what if" numbers on my "All Motor" 1340cc bike.  If I added 8.5 psi of boost to my HC 1340cc engine, it would put it in the 350-375 range.
So those Indy engines had something like 17:1 static compression??

Offline floydjer

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 11:34:21 AM »
Just to further sully Jon's thread...When Buck decided he liked something , he had to have it all...His collection of Miller race cars included both front and rear wheel driven varieties, the only road going V16 Miller built and the Golden Submarine..He owned all of the factory casting patterns ,blueprints and Leo Goosen's drawings. Buck also had thing for steam powered Stanley's...including a 1906 Vanderbilt Cup racer that he drove around like it was  Toyota. Here is what I found strange. His wife Constance was the former Constance Stanley....F.O.Stanley's great -grand daughter...🤔 THAT is a complete collection.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 02:22:18 PM »
This is what I saw in 2010 at Zakira's garage in Cincinnati.
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 02:22:43 PM »
#2 Would have loved to hear it cackle!
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline floydjer

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 05:02:25 PM »
Woody....That would have been around the time she was being prepped for the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Zakira's is a fun place for a growing boy to hang out isn't it? I am totally helpless at posting links, but there is a YouTube vid.of her being started..What passes for an idle is absolutely vicious.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 05:19:15 PM »
Here is Dennis Nalon  rolling out for a trip up Charles' driveway at Goodwood 2011