Author Topic: WOS Updates  (Read 4273 times)

landracing

WOS Updates
« on: September 12, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »
Here is the link to the updates on World of Speed.

http://www.landracing.com/events/wos/2006/commentary06.htm

I started this thread so there won't be multiple threads started and trying to follow each one. Just post your comments here and i'll try to monitor and answer as the meet goes on.

Jon

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
wos updates
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 03:56:10 PM »
Thanks Jon, will moniter daily,  wish I was there.
Glen :D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JR'S PAPA

WOS Updates
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 04:52:47 PM »
Hey Jon,
My kid, my 4 year old grandson, and me will see you tomorrow, on the Salt. I have been going since '59. I saw Thompson go "406" in '60, he spent time explaining every question I could throw at him and Mickey got me hooked on the class of people and the wonderland that is Bonneville,  in less than an hour.  Al Teague and Bill Summers did the exact same thing to my son 30 years later. Now it is my grandson's turn for someone to instill the magic into another generation.   See everyone tomorrow.
Been there, seen that! And now I can say I participate, with my kid and his kid, J.R...........

Offline jackson

WOS Updates
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 11:19:46 PM »
I have only been here since around 98, so I have probably only seen some of the worst salt available.  But I never imagined the salt could be this good!  I spent an hour taping plastic sheets into the floor of my push truck for almost nothing.  The shoes I wore all day are cleaner than the carpet floor at the hotel I'm staying in.  And my truck picked up more crud on the way here than it has on the salt.  Please.......no rain. :roll:

Offline Freud

World of Speed
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 12:35:55 AM »
Remember as a kid when you went to G'Pa's house? Everything was magic.  You had found a companion in Gramps that didn't exist anywhere else. Gramps was the ultimate.

You cried when it was time to go.

That's the feeling when you run World of Speed. When you leave, you will feel young again but YOU will cry when you leave your USFRA family.

Gramps will invisibly be with you as you drive home.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Elmo Rodge

WOS Updates
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 07:24:52 AM »
I'm leaving in a few minutes. This 4 hour drive to the Salt sure is rough.  :wink:  Wayno

Offline hotrod_tommy

• New folks
4 hour drive "rough"
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 01:17:41 PM »
Hey Elmo, I feel your pain...  only it is 20+ hours drive from here, so I cannot go as often as I wish.
ALWAYS worth the trip, though!

t
Tommy's2slow for racin

Offline AJR192

WOW
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 09:29:44 PM »
Hey guys, just got back from WOS about 2 hours ago. Left just as the wind and rain moved in. All I can say is WOW!!! Absolutley the best salt I think I have ever seen. Got to meet Seldom Seen Slim and his wife this morning after she set her record, next to the timing slip trailer. Also got to meet Jon Amo this morning, he is on hell of a nice guy too.  I am JR's Papa's son so JR is my boy. He is 4 and this was his first meet. Everyone we met treated JR so well it was just wonderful. But I really have to thank the guys at car #420, the Got Salt AA/BGL. Frank and Frankie Silva and the rest of the crew are nothing but class. The way they treated my boy is now my favorite memory of all at the salt. All the patience in the world, answered all his questions, showed him anything he wanted to see on the car, loaned him some earmuffs when they fired the car, even offered to let him sit on Frank's lap as they pushed the car to the line. I know they really left a great impression on my son. It really made me proud and humble to be able to say I am a part of this great brotherhood called Land Speed racing. What else can I say but thank you to everyone who helped to make this meet this my favorite salt memory.

Offline AJR192

One more
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 09:59:55 PM »
I really need to thank one other person in this equation, my dad. He is the one who got me hooked on the salt and Has been a great friend and companion at every meet I have been to. Thanks for being there dad.

Offline DCarr511

WOS Updates
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 12:01:59 AM »
Is there a list of entries anywhere ? I'm curious if a friend entered.

Thanks,

Offline AJR192

WOS Updates
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 12:16:00 AM »
Who wasit and do you have a car or car number? I have my program handy.

Offline bobadame

• New folks
WOS Updates
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 01:35:13 AM »
Was Skip Hedrich there with his American Eagle Streamliner? I met him and his wife at Speed Week. Nice folks  for sure. Also  AJR, no that wasn't my tank going down I 80 in Wyoming. I found this one about a mile from my house.

Offline AJR192

WOS Updates
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 08:48:37 AM »
No, Skip was not at WOS. Tom Burkland was there, but only to help with some good advice and coversation.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Rain on salt
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 10:04:42 AM »
The weather gods have shut down the WOS. 3" to 4" of standing water as far as one can see. Jon Amo just called and said it's over and tear down has started. A real bummer. How this will effect the other private time and the World finals is not known at this time.
Glen :cry:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

aswracing

WOS Updates
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 10:15:58 AM »
Does anyone have results for Thursday?