Author Topic: October Maxton  (Read 3218 times)

equimania

October Maxton
« on: November 02, 2004, 04:01:00 PM »
At Maxton I had already accomplished my goals
 for the season on my Cagiva Mito Production
 125cc two stroke, and had tons of fun in the
 process, so I decided to put some new riders on
 it.  On Saturday, Nancy Wennerberg volunteered,
 so we ran her on a record I had just set earlier
 in the day.  She ran 107.6 mph -- which was the
 fastest time that bike had run at Maxton up to
 that point -- she beat my run from earlier that
 day by 0.4 mph.  Way to go Nancy!

That was fun, so on Sunday we found a suit that
 fit Keith Turk and found a record he could shoot
 at.  He took two runs, but fell about 0.7 mph
 short.  Not bad, though, for a guy who doesn't
 regularly ride bikes and was on this one for the
 first time.  The only thing I wish is that he
 could have heard the raft of sh*t (all in good
 spirits) he was getting from the timing tower
 over the radio.

The fun had just begun.  Jon Amo showed some
 interest, but had not come preparted to ride.  No
 problem -- Jon and I are about the same size, so
 we squeezed him into my suit and boots, and he
 ran a 105+ to bump up an existing record we had
 set earlier in the year.  Parenthetically, he beat
 Keith by about 1+ mph.  That ought to be good for
 some chiding for years to come.  HeHeHe.

All in all this season, we set 10 records with 8
 different riders.  What fun.  Thanks to all who
 made me smile.

Mark

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: October Maxton
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 03:05:00 PM »
Speaking of the october meet, I'd sure like to express my/our appreciation of the whole thing.  Nancy and I both got to put our name in the book for another year, and that's what we're there for, right?

But seeing the friends we've made was dandy, too, and hearing - in person - that the hat has been passed from John to Kieth and Joe was important to us.  Thanks, John, and best of luck Joe and Kieth.  

And then, today, I was looking at the ECTA site and see what a fine job has been done by Deb and those that help her.  I mean, it's two or three days after the meet ended, and not only are the results there already -- but the records and other logs showing the speed have links to photos of the appropriate vehicles -- brand-new photos taken just this weekend.  Decent!

Boyoboy, this sport has sure got some dandy volunteers.  I'm glad we're part of land speed racing.  Thanks to everyone.

Nancy and Jon
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

landracing

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 03:44:00 PM »
mark,

You are why we as a whole LSR community have such a unique venue, such great people.

It was a honor to ride your bike and Im glad I did it for a run on the Maxton track.

Jon

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 01:58:00 PM »
Guess you can retract your statement made to KT and I about not running there in that late late night conversation we had eh Jon? lol
 Was sure great to see you out there, reporting, having fun and sure hope that becomes a regular thing for you! thanks for all you do for this venue also.
 TD
 PS - did the Mustang make back in one peice?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 04:50:00 PM »
Well, Jon's visit last weekend - to Maxton, that is - was the straw that finally broke out my checkbook, if you'll pardon the mixed metaphor.  I've just sealed the envelope on a check to landracing.com - my "donation" to help make it possible for Jonathon to attend as many LSR meets as he can.  What a pleasure it was to see him there, reporting and riding and terrorizing the NC drivers in the Mustang (whooops, maybe I shouldn't have said that in public).

Best regards to one and all - from Nancy and Jon, way up north, where there's snow in tonight's forecast.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 08:06:00 PM »
Eh Flash, thanks to you and Nancy for the (half)Way Up North delivery(talked to Tom and sounds like it went off well and he's a happy camper). Had a great stop in Charlotte and never felt so in touch with the saying "Hauling the mail"(or at least the mail basket - lol).
 By the way, Handling of your bike is excellent in my opinion(and I'm a very finicky rider when it comes to stability), so if there's any issues it should be aero. Thanks for the ride on the Ice Breaker, it should presently be holding a large number of unblown, unfaired gasoline records IMO.
 TD
 PS: there's snow in Virginia's forecast too, it just happens to be the forecast for mid january and not tonite ;-)

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 07:41:00 AM »
Okay first off there is NO SNOW in my forecast... ( why yes I own a suit case..)  Mark... can't thank you enough for the ride on the 125... thank god I didn't embarrass myself to bad.... being beat by Jon... Well I expect that... being beat by Nancy... No issue she's even got her own leathers and several pass's on the salt.... Jon being beat by Nancy... NOW that is special...( don't want to hear about wind and all that )  Like you guys... I just had a great meet... what fun... seeing Larry Waddell go 2bills.... wow.. the website gig... that was Debbie working her butt off... as well as Donna and Tonya in registration.  Life is good.. and getting better...
 Keith
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph