Author Topic: If you use a GoPro Camera you might want one of these  (Read 6301 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
If you use a GoPro Camera you might want one of these
« on: April 18, 2012, 02:21:16 PM »

At Maxton and SpeedWeek I would set my GoPro jump in the car and wait...and wait. Sometimes there would be a delay. What happened more than once was the GoPro was recording and either ran out of battery or memory. Although I do have some great footage of staging lane activity I missed several runs. There is a guy that is making a remote switch with an LED light that plugs into the data port on the GoPro. I have to mill a slot in your GoPRo case but now the button will be on my console and I can hit the record/on button when I fire the motor. Bernard who makes them seems to be a straight up guy, sent him the pay pal on Monday and got my power cord on Wed. Now the kicker is they are not cheap... mine was $90. He has one with a LED and one without.  I use my in car video to keep tabs on myself. I know what I think I am supposed to do but did I actally do it when I was supposed to? The video knows! Therefore, a missed video of a run is a missing piece of valuable information. 

Now I am sure there are guys on this forum who know just how to rig this up...but I don't. So it was worth it to me. Below is the contact info for the guy. Email him and he will fill you in on the details.

Bernard Wilson chief.wilson@gmail.com

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: If you use a GoPro Camera you might want one of these
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:47:39 PM »
Good idea. I have videos that start before the run and end up stopping 40 mins after I am back in the pit. It would be really cool if this could be ganged to turn on multiple cams with the same switch. It would also be cool if the record function could be triggered with a relay every time the motor is running and not even have to worry about pushing a switch.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:23:32 AM »
JH,

I bet he would be willing to build you a custom pigtail to wire multiple units. When my car comes back from the chassis guy so I can measure it. I am going to ask him to build me a front bumper and rear bumper harness. Then I will hit the three buttons when I start my motor.

Bill

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 11:22:14 AM »
Hotty --

I liked your idea of tying the cameras to the engine running.  The only problem I see with that is you might kill the cameras when you shut off past the lights and miss that footage. 

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Chiefwilson

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 06:09:21 PM »
Hello everyone. My name is Bernard Wilson and I am the one with the remote switches. As of right now we are testing the multiple camera option. As far as custom lengths and all that please contact me as to pricing and your needs. I am trying to figure a way to power the camera from the cars power however this has not been something in demand seeing how a lot of racing organizations frown on hard wiring something to the car. They think we are putting in traction control. Please email me with any questions chief.wilson@gmail.com or you can call me directly 864-634-4720.
Thanks

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »
Bernard,

Welcome to the LSR forum. I tested my switch and LED and it works great. Now I just need the car back from the chassis builder so I can get to work. Also there is a thred for items for sale by individuals...might want to do up a little explanation and picture in there.

Thanks again,

Bill

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 06:51:46 PM »

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1379872

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eFyNRVNlo0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF2VaigpTvU

http://cam-do.com/rf-remote.html

Looks like info is available to build your own with a bit of digging, these came up in a simple google search.
Have not had time to go to the gopro users forum yet.

Larry

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 07:33:21 PM »
Welcome, Chief.  Thanks for showing up and offering to help some of the racers.  I'm the guy that owns and operates the site -- and want to make sure that you feel welcome to mention your products and services.  If you go too far and turn your talk and posts into a commercial -- I'll probably send a note asking that you pay a bit -- but for now, let's get going - the season is here.

Speaking of powering the camera system from the car - some cars (and bikes) use total-loss systems - no alternator or generator, and therefore you might have unacceptable voltage drop as the battery expends its charge.  Some vehicles might us an 18-volt system for starting, for that matter, so that's something else to consider (or to ask a prospective customer).  You've got a valid point about wiring something in that could be mistaken for traction control - or whatever else the inspector or person lodging a protest might claim.  Better to nip that argument in the bud.

Thanks for joining the Forum.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 09:25:04 PM »
Thanks Hotrod
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 12:49:04 PM »
I'd like to ask the forum if they know whether in theory tech would have an issue with a tethered and professionally mounted GoPro camera on a motorcycle at BUB?

Thanks

Peter

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 01:04:39 PM »
I don't attend the Bub's meets so don't know for sure, BUT - it's pretty danged common to see cameras of that ilk on bikes and cars and trucks at Bonneville -- so I doubt there'd be much hassle in getting through tech with one.  Nonetheless -- AMA "scrutineers" have done strange things in the past, so perhaps you'd best wait for an opinion that's more certain than mine.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 03:30:24 PM »
I run a Contour camera myself, and they will allow them if they are securely mounted. I fabbed up a small metal bracket to the fairing mount and had it tethered also. No problem at all. The helmet cams need to be teched and approved too. 
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 06:20:16 PM »
    When the Discovery Channel followed us around a couple of years ago, they attached 4 Go Pro Cameras to the car in various places and secured them with "high speed" silver racer tape [read duct tape]. None came off and I got my red hat.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 07:02:23 AM »
Great, thank you. We've fabled a solid metal mount and added a tether so fingers crossed.

Peter