Author Topic: Big Sid Biberman's Thoughts on Streamliners  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
Big Sid Biberman's Thoughts on Streamliners
« on: September 06, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »
 :?

"John Stein's new book on Motorcycle Drag Racing, a history, is the best ever on the subject, large and packed full of photos of these powerful machines covering the quarter mile.  Vincents are well represented including my Rattler.  And soon out of the U.K will be a new offering from that fine writer David Wright as well.  This should be a winner too, his previous books were excellent.

There is a line early on in the Stein book that says in a few words what makes drag bikes such an enduring spectacle over many decades.  I'll paraphrase- "part of the allure is vicarious, for these people it wasn't so much examining a motorcycle as it was imagining themselves racing it."  The scene shows a crowd deep into themselves as they study a fast machine, no remarks, just totally absorbed, silently dreaming.

The raw naked bike all teeth and wicked promise, it's purpose clear.  WINNING.

This deep respnse is absent in the crowd as they watch a fully enclosed machine, an all out streamliner.  They can't see the rider or picture themselves in it's saddle.  It's just a thing.  Might even be radio controlled for all they know.  But a naked bike is something else."

My thoughts on this is that Big Sid never saw a 450+mph streamliner appear over the horizon, streak by him, vanish...and then think, 'wow.  somebody is inside that thing!'  Would really like to hear your thoughts his thoughts. 

Come on LSR guys.

Max

Offline Rocky R

• Author/Land Speed Racing Site
Re: Big Sid Biberman's Thoughts on Streamliners
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 03:43:52 PM »
I've been to the recent NHRA Drags at Sonoma. Been to Nascar, and Laguna Seca watching cars and the bikes. But I was also there when Vesco ran Turbinator to a 458 FIA record. My hair stood on end watching him streak by. Had the same feeling when I saw Sam Wheeler on his 355 run. Maybe seeing the machine static doesn't give you the eye candy fix of a naked drag bike, but those that know the potential, then see a streamliner actually run... well, there's no substitute for speed!

Offline Tman

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 03:46:35 PM »
Yes Rocky! I would go as far as saying streamliners are MORE IMPRESSIVE than a naked bike. Maybe growing up watching astronauts had something to do with it? Knowing that some guy or gal is strapped into that thing and riding/driving into the history does it for me.  :cheers:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 04:04:01 PM »
I timed many of the Ack attack and Sam Wheeler runs  and a naked bike at 250 is impressive but when a liner goes by a speed it's a different world.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 04:09:05 PM »
I think Sid has a valid point! You can "easily" see yourself ON the bike not IN the bike. But to Max and Rocky's points, once you have stood at the big end and heard the full Doppler effects of a high speed pass you will be hooked!  :-o

The other audience just needs to experience the B'ville music hall!  :cheers:

Besides only Freud has surpassed Rollie's Vincent ride! At least artistically!  :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »
The sight is one thing but it's the sound that really makes it for me.

I think perspective has a lot to do with it. Those of us who have been directly involved in racing for a long period of time will have little or no trouble with the concept of the driver wringing the machine out for all it's worth. Those who haven't been so close and just see a missile hurtling down the track don't connect to the whole operation in the same manner.

Pete

Offline RCKirby

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 08:33:47 PM »
This is a clip that has never been "seen" or "heard" before.  I was able to capture Tom Burkland's 417mph FIA Record during the ShootOut in 2008.  If you listen closely you can hear the car shift into every gear....miles and miles AND miles away...well before you can see it.

I've had the opportunity to capture some of the fastest streamliners on earth...and it is truely a never to be forgotten experience.  I told Tom Burkland later on that watching him run was one of the most exciting and most terrifying experiences that I have ever had...followed closely by Rocky's tumble in the ACK Attack at 300+mph in 2007.

Please enjoy the clip...it's people like you all that make it happen!!!!

http://youtu.be/Q0Fgsjiuo7k

Regards,
RCKirby

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 11:06:22 PM »
Thanks for posting that Burkland run, RC!

Willi
Who Has More Fun?

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 08:43:13 PM »
That is amazing, 'hairs on the back of my neck' stuff! No chute deployed either!  :-o

I had trouble with the link, but found it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Fgsjiuo7k

Many thanks  :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 10:06:35 PM »
Sid was at B'ville recently with his race team at BUB.  Last year, I think.  He saw quite a bit and he liked it.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 10:17:40 PM »
I met him with his son at Wilmington this spring.  Old school, for being a bike seller, was to race with the engine exposed.  Like when Lance Weil crashed his XLRTT in the Atlantic series way back when.  The motor got stuffed into a featherbed frame and the H-D dealer sponsoring him wouldn't let him put the lowers on the bike.  "I'm selling bikes, the fans are going to see the motor . . ."  Sid's a pretty nice guy, easy to talk to, still sharp.  I hope his kid brings a Vincent back to the salt someday.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 08:42:01 AM »
Last year, I had just been on a long road trip and picked up a copy of "Big Sid's Vincati" at a closing Borders store to read on the trip. Went to the last Maxton event and who was there but Big Sid & son Matthew! Great ending to a great father/son/Vincent book! Life (LSR) can be full of great surprises!  :cheers: :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz