Author Topic: WTD: Contact info for FL based LSR Sidecar Team from early-mid 90s  (Read 2675 times)

Offline ChrisWells

• New folks
In 1992 I sold a road racing sidecar to a fellow from Florida who intended to use it for LSR at Bonneville. If possible I would like to track down what became of the sidecar as well as the many engine spares I included in the sale. The sidecar was a Schmid GP Chassis (although likely known as a "Schmit" to the fellow who bought it) which originally ran in the F1 World Championships in Europe in the early 80s. The Chassis had ovalized main tubing which was nickle plated with chromed front and rear swingarms. It also had a coolant header tank built into the steering head. When I sold it the platform was covered with black fiberglass and all the body work was painted light blue with yellow accents. It was fitted with a Yamaha TZ750 4 cylinder liquid cooled two stroke motor.

If anyone knows the name or contact info of this LSR competitor and/or anyone that may have come to own either the sidecar or the motor at a later date I would appreciate if you could contact me.

Thanks,
Chris

PS I have no beef with anyone, just trying to track down what became of one of my treasured toys

Offline bak189

Re: WTD: Contact info for FL based LSR Sidecar Team from early-mid 90s
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »
OK......You sold your sidecar to the "Great Scott" ..Scott Guthrie....He kept telling me he was going to bring a sidecar  out to Bonneville and show us how to go really fast on 3 wheels.....this was back in the 1990's....we are still waiting......................
Question authority.....always

Offline ChrisWells

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 03:55:18 PM »
Anyone have contact info for Scott Guthrie? (email, phone number, userId on this forum?)

Offline JohnLevie

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »
Chris,
I forwarded this thread to Mr. Guthrie. 
John Levie
Scott Guthrie Racing

Offline ChrisWells

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 12:28:04 PM »
Thanks John!

Offline JohnLevie

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 01:31:56 PM »
Chris,
The engine was removed, ran at Bonneville, and shelved since.  The Chassis had been mothballed for years, then refurbished prior to its sale to a German who campaigns/campaigned the bike in the Finnish Sidecar series.
John Levie

Offline ChrisWells

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 02:05:18 PM »
Thanks for the info. Glad to hear the chassis lives on.

So did my ex-engine earn any LSR records?  8-)

If Scott would consider parting with the engine or some of the spares I know of a sidecar team in England trying to restore a historically significant TZ based F1 rig (Jock Taylor's championship rig). I don't think they have very deep pockets or are in it to profit. They just want to ensure the rig is maintained, able to run in parade laps and stays accessible to the public.
http://www.steveenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42241&hilit=Jock+TZ+muldoon
http://www.steveenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=42501&hilit=Jock+TZ+muldoon

Chris

BTW I'm back in the sport (after a short 18 year sabatical):
http://www.steveenglish.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=193:team-latest-developments&Itemid=83&layout=default