Author Topic: An Aussie Perspective  (Read 5610 times)

Offline hawkwind

An Aussie Perspective
« on: March 11, 2006, 04:16:46 AM »
Finally home after a nonstop ,all night /day drive ,Im stufffed  :cry: ,anyway from an Aussies perspective , it was the best of times , it was the worst of times , the positive , it was an absolute thrill and honour to meet in person ,so many of of the US racers ,people whom I have chatted to over the last 6 years ,personally that alone will stay with me for the rest of my life and Im sure that it was ditto for all of us Aussies , secondly my many thanks to Mike Ackatiff , the bloke must have been under enormous pressure / stress and still was generous to a fault a true gentleman , he earns the bobby dazzler award ( a very high honour) , you were all an exceptional body of men and women , God willing I hope me can meet again in less trying circumstances .
Sadly after all the talk of our "perfect " salt it was extreamly disapointing that it did not play the game this year , it gutted me to have to be the bearer of bad news ,that breakfast time in port agusta , I hope this does not put any of you writing us off , in my short time in LSR this was also a first for me and most of the Aussies as well , my heart felt commiserations  in not achieving your goals , but you did your country proud in taking it on the chin and not whinging (whining)

A special thanks to my fellow  motel minus 66 roomies , you made the week fun ,just learn how to suck a little more piss , and that buell bloke ,maybe a little less , enjoy the rest of your stay  :D
also Paul and Ross top marks for your generosity truely ,many thanks  :D
and mr Noonan always the showman , but a heart of gold , and Keith and Gary ( tweedle dee and tweedle dumb ) and finally Joe my inspiration  a true "BATTLER" and Jon MR never sleeps above and beyond mate above and beyond ,but you must learn how to stay in bed when you do sleep :wink:

A safe trip back and hopefully we meet again under better conditions , its now time for some shut eye  and as we say when our goals are not achieved  " there's always next year"
Gary ( hawkwind racing )  home of mr whippy the icecream bike
slower than most

dirtydave

An Aussie Perspective
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 06:58:08 AM »
To all my new buddies, From Oz and  the US even thou the conditions were bad, and the out come very disappointing.
You all took it well ....
 I hope to meet you all again one day,
Arriving home in the middle of the night my girl friend asked me how it was, I replied with we're going to Bonneville,.....
any one wishing to visit in the future let me know i would be more than happy to help.

dirty@iinet.net.au

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
from our end
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 04:22:39 PM »
Grace under pressure would be the best way to put it. The news on the way in of a wet lake was shattering , not this year of all years I thought but that was how it was.The irony(available here free if you bring your own container) was that it was hotter than previous years . If there was any vented frustration amongst the US crew it wasn't apparent to us and they should be applauded for that alone.It is the nature of the game to be cruelled by the unexpected and  those watching from afar should understand that the trip to lake Gairdner is an extremely punishing one , but worth it when it's perfect.Even when it's not perfect the extreme conditions are yet another bond on top of the like minds and common pursuit , like " we're here!!!"

On the last day I got involved in a four way conversation with my other half Jane, Mike A and Michelle D and due to the differing heights we were sort of talking every which way, Mike's a bit deaf and at one point he said " i can't hear what you're saying" Michelle pointed her thumb at him and said "he's deaf" as he threw his hands up and laughed. If I'd dragged that whole outfit half way 'round the world for little return I would have found it hard to laugh about anything at that point ,but Mike did and that I admired .The entire team were polite , really friendly and seemed to be enjoying themselves.They got a few "eye-openers " which I'm sure they'll cherish.It was great to meet so many genuine LSR identities as well as the support crew , dug the lot of them.

Finally , for this post at least ,I'd like to thank the Amo boys for passing on the shirts from Seth and family which was an extremely flattering moment , yes Jon ,we'll be putting them in frames and yes we'll have the 'tank there next year....not the scooter outfit.  :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Reverend Hedgash

I wanna go back
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 06:40:12 PM »
I awoke yesterday to find my girlfriend out in the street drinking her coffee in the motorhome. She said she missed it after driving three days to get home from the salt.

I miss it too. Melbourne is cold, the speed is slow, few understand.

It was great to meet those who understand from the other side of the world. The idea was the same but we witnessed a subtle difference in language to express it.

You guys seem very neat  compared to us and like white a lot. We seem a little more like Mad Max The Road Warrior on a bad hair day. (Has anyone seen the movie "A Boy and his Dog" with Don Johnson?)

Great to meet DirtyDave and others closer to home too.

An extra special thank you for the tee shirts from the Seths. I shall not be framing mine but wearing it as my favorite shirt. Life is for the living, cars are for driving, and tee shirts are for wearing, not for putting behind glass.

I was very sad to hear of the destruction of the lakester some years ago but great to hear of others under construction!

On arriving home Dr. Goggles and I went into the shed and stared at our Belly Tank. So much to do so little time! Only 51 weeks to go...

Reverend Hedgash

ps. The ONLY good thing about the crappy weather was that I was close to winning the poster...

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
An Aussie Perspective
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 07:52:33 PM »
We stopped at Port Pirie on the way to the wet lake.
A bloke at the pub just crossed the Nullabor by train. Told us you could plant a crop out there is was so green. The train, he said, had to slow down where water lapped over the tracks near Wimmera (top of the lake).

Last time it rained like that was 1992.

Just wanted to put the rarity of the wet into perspective. Bummer for us, but a real blessing for those trying to work that harsh land.
Also need to add a loud cheer for the efforts you guys put in. And sincerely, it was great to meet y'all.

Velocity Science Laboratories
PJQ
Regards,
PJQ

Offline Malcolm UK

its wet
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 07:39:42 AM »
If you want to break a drought send foreigners to a dry lake bed for some high speed motorsport

Its been happening for decades but it was perfected by the British.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Dakin Engineering

An Aussie Perspective
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 08:36:25 AM »
Say, didn't firemanJim attend? Seems like his influence is worldwide...

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline firemanjim

An Aussie Perspective
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 02:18:09 PM »
SHHH,Sam.I was not "technically" responsible as it did not rain where we were.It actually rained about 100 Kils away and the damn wind blew it all over the stinking lake. :wink:
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Precipitation
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 04:33:38 PM »
Stinking? , sheesh.....Fee Fi Fo Fum I smell the hoodoo of a Fireman........was great to meet you Jim even if you did make it rain.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Drewfus

• http://www.smv.com.au
An Aussie Perspective
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 09:58:16 PM »
Everyone home safe yet?

Sorry to hear that dreams were to be......on this ocassion.

Looking forward to next year....

Cheers,

Drewfus :D
"Build it small, Drive it BIG"

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
An Aussie Perspective
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 09:31:25 PM »
You might have seen this already. The annual "Rods Ramblings" on the DLRA site.

Rod details the run and the damage to the Holden Commodore. Watching from the pits was heart stopping as we heard the explosions and saw the black clouds rising on the horizon. Rod gives you the sobering view from the Hot Seat.
http://www.dlra.org.au/2006.htm

Regs,
PJQ
Regards,
PJQ