Author Topic: Lattin's Goal #8  (Read 3993 times)

Offline desotoman

Lattin's Goal #8
« on: November 21, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »
Jim Lattin has posted some goals he would like to accomplish over the next year as President of the SCTA. I appreciate Jim distributing these goals for all of us to see. There is one goal I don't fully understand. That would be Goal #8. Here is what it says:

Goal#8 On Sept 12, 2006 at the BNI Board meeting, Roy Creel?s proposal of allowing SCTA members to run at Bonneville without joining BNI passed by one vote ( and should have been a slam dunk! ). As SCTA members we are already paying dues, pull patrol, and own the equipment. It is only fair that SCTA Membership alone allows you to participate at Speed Week and the World Finals.

How I interpret this goal is that if you are an SCTA member you would not have to pay an entry fee to run at Speed Week or the World Finals. If I am interpreting this in the correct way how can this help the SCTA's treasury?

If this goal were to become a reality and I was a BNI member I would be rushing out to join an SCTA club and pay $50 to join the SCTA, instead of paying a $325 pre-entry to run at Bonneville. By doing this the SCTA just lost a $60 BNI membership and a $325 entry fee, or a net loss of $335. If 300 BNI members did the above, the SCTA would lose $100,500. With Bonneville costing over $100,000 to put on, where will the money come from? What am I missing?  :?: :?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stan Back

Lattin's Goal #8
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 12:08:10 PM »
I take it that you'd still have to pay the entry fee (just as you do at El Mirage), but you would no longer have to join BNI.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline desotoman

Lattin's Goal #8
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 12:37:15 PM »
Stan, during the BNI meeting on Sept. 12, 2006, Roy Creel?s proposal of allowing SCTA members to run at Bonneville without joining BNI passed. So that has already been done and put to bed.

Is Jim just confirming what Roy has accomplished? If so, how can that be Jim's goal when Roy has already done it? Now I am really confused.

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Have JD read it to you.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 12:40:48 PM »
"WITHOUT JOINING BNI"
The membership in BNI is a fundraiser to finance the organization of the
 event and impact those that run there only.
If SCTA members contribute dues , time, and effort this could result in a
 reduction of overall costs that are a major objective for both the
 organization and the participants.
The confusion mentioned is an opinion that it should have been a "SLAM
 DUNK" and must reflect his desire to reduce costs that should have
universal approval.
"A reduced budget can generate better decisions."
 :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline desotoman

Lattin's Goal #8
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 11:56:57 AM »
Jack, thanks for the reply but I am still confused. I guess I don't understand how Jim's Goal #8 can be a goal if Roy Creel already got it passed.

Also it is Jim's opinion that the vote should have been a "slam dunk."  I was not at the meeting, so I don't know what pros and cons of the issue were presented for discussion before the vote.

Tom G.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
FROM WHAT I HAVE GATHERED
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 01:30:02 PM »
It would seem to be Lattin's feeling that all of the votes should have
gone towards the reduction in fees.
Therein is the rub.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline 836dstr

Lattin's Goal #8
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »
Jim Lattin's 13 goals were not a spur of the moment list prepared to be sent out with the candidate profiles, but rather things that Jim had been thinking about for a while.

Some of the 13 have been overcome by events, like Roy Creel's motion, and the near completion of the El Mirage Property.

The toughest goal would be to find an alternate site for El Mirage that is within a reasonable distance.

Tom

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Lattin's Goal #8
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 02:43:36 PM »
Having a goal that has already been accomplished makes life easier!

To run at El Mirage you have to join one of the member car clubs in Southern California. This structure goes back a looooong way. Having to become a member to run at Bonneville for everyone else would have been restrictive and wouldn't work.

So two different structures evolved from the same organization. It makes perfect sense for all SCTA members to automatically be BNI members, and racers from the rest of the country, or world, to be able to be BNI members without joining the SCTA.

I wouldn't call it loss of income as much as elimination of double taxation for SCTA members.

That does bring up another question. Tom mentioned SCTA fees of $50. Is that up to the individual clubs? It isn't anywhere on the SCTA web site that I can find.
I edited the SCTA/BNI structure to show the difference.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
TARGETS
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 03:18:03 PM »
The thrust and target of goal #8 is to have a change like that a
unaminous position on the part of the people responsible for it.