Author Topic: Lodging for SpeedWeek '09  (Read 47998 times)

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
Re: Lodging for SpeedWeek '09
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2009, 04:15:50 PM »
Just a quick note here, to avoid any complications later... Other than myself and my Security team, no one else can park/camp at Land's End.  You can drop your racing trailers off and we will keep them secure for you until Tech day, as long as they're not too large, but you must understand there is not enough room for camper trailers, motorhomes, etc.  Also, there is NO camping on the salt around Land's End.  I can only protect so much!! 

Thanks,

Lynda

Plus I seem to remember a camper getting stuck out near there . . .

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2009, 04:55:50 PM »
It was a rented motorhome, the young family was from England and were following another person.  They didn't know where they were going, but the other people did.  Also, had one of the racers get stuck in the same area...reason for going that way?...he said he "knew how to drive and where he was going, until it got stuck!!)  I've had lots of fun harassing those guys!!  I can guarantee we'll watch you get stuck, might take a picture, definitely laugh at you, not ever let you live it down, and won't help you get out!!  Follow the cones, follow the rules, or be embarrassed for the next 100 years!!  :-D

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Kat

• Duramax Diesels
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2009, 06:25:58 PM »
Wasn't cheap but just got us two rooms  :cheers:   This way at least the kids can have some fun in the pool in the evenings  :-D
B/DT 1616 "Casper" 2005 GMC 2500HD Sierra 4x4 Duramax Diesel + Allison Transmission
174.586mph - Bonneville '08, 2.25mi
10.59 @ 128.9 at California Speedway

Offline HighFiveCycles

• High Five Cycles
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2009, 06:38:40 PM »
Yippee! Got some overpriced rooms! I can't wait to get back on the salt. Is it August yet????   :-D
Fastest Record of any woman on a motorcycle in the world
FIM 232mph 2000MPSBF record, 192mph 1000PP record
200mph club Naked!

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2009, 06:46:12 PM »
Hey Leslie, like your avatar. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline jl222

« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2009, 12:14:28 AM »
Wasn't cheap but just got us two rooms  :cheers:   This way at least the kids can have some fun in the pool in the evenings  :-D

At least you can write off all your expenses through your business.

JL222  :-D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:17:08 PM by jl222 »

Offline jl222

« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2009, 03:45:57 PM »

Does anyone know of any other camping areas besides the bend in the road and up the hill? If it rains or is to muddy the bend in the road could become a giant trap, a tar pit [ 10,000 years from now '' what are these things?'' What about the end of town below the big rock hill?

JL222

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2009, 03:54:49 PM »
The Nugget has an rv park and sometimes I see rv's at the far east end of town but I don't know if the local's are ok with that.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2009, 05:01:34 PM »
If it rains -- the Bend in the Road can be treacherous and muddy.  Witness the time a few years ago when I was asked, during World of Speed, to go there and help tow an RV out of the mud.  I carry a long tow strap as part of the standard equipment in the 4x4 pickup that is our ride, and even then I was in a bit of the mud to get close enough to hook on.  If it rains -- get out quickly!

I don't know where youmight legally park an RV in town other than the two regular spots.  The KoA isn't too bad -- the bathrooms are (well, WERE, when we last stayed there a couple of years back) clean, well-lighted, and warm, the pool was filled with water and a few green floaties, and the hookups included water and electricity.  We've driven through the RV park at the Nugget (or is it the Stateline now?) and it seemed full -- and without a few of the amenities at the KoA.  But as for parking elsewhere -- you might as well go up the hill on the road at the Bend in the Road rather than try to park, say, at the foot of the hill on the east end of Wendover.  Parking at the foot would gain you only a bit of "nearness" to town, but you'd sacrifice the absolute knowledge that you're not going to be busted by the law for parking where you shouldn't.  Up on the hill there's little chance of getting caught in the mud, there are plenty of flat spots (maybe not big enough for dozens of vehicles to park together, but for sure enough flat ground for two or three at a time) -- and the view is great.  Watch sunrise from your front door, see the line of light as it creeps down the Salt.  Hotter than blazes, of course, since you're on the side of the hill and exposed to the sun with the hill behind you to concentrate the searing light -- but you'll figure a way to live.

Further deponent sayeth not, at least for now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Eyeball

• New folks
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2009, 04:52:29 PM »
Well a little up date on the Econo Lodge deal again. :roll:

I was checking out the ol' bank statement on Friday and what do ya know a $200.00 charge from Econo Lodge. :-o  I got on the horn and called down to the main office. I had to go up the ladder three times until someone could help me. The first gal I talked to said I should file a formal complaint…… so I said alright then I am formally complaining.  :-P  So after a few on hold sessions I was now dealing with the customer relations office. They were NOT too happy to hear what this hotel is doing but since it is not a corporate hotel they needed to talk to the manager. They also assured me that the charges would be reversed by the hotel or by Econo Lodge themselves if they could not come to an agreement with the hotel manager. Good news…..They just called me and then faxed me the reversal charge slip. They also said that they will honor the rates I had booked on line.  I’m glad they took care of it but I am definitely back to the bend in the road next year. My wife is fine with camping at the bend as long as I ad a shower and toilet to the trailer. :wink:

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2009, 06:39:11 PM »
  Just don't get the two five gallon buckets mixed up............. :-o
Bob Drury

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2009, 09:25:20 AM »
according to an insider at the east end of town--" the red garter is open till 3/1/09; if new owners are not found by then, the doors will be locked."

franey

sorry for the big typo.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:13:12 AM by saltwheels262 »
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Model T Steve

« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2009, 11:35:53 AM »
Porta Potties- the big concern is being able to get to them close together and not to far from the road for quick and easy cleaning. We had enough last year. The "honey dipper" tries to catch them on his way back from his first "dump" of the day when most of the people are out on the salt. I try to check them on my way back into Wendover at night. The dumpster may move a little east in attempt to get more people to USE IT! Please pick up your area-leave it cleaner than you found it! Remember this is a courtesy service from your friends at BNI & BLM. Thanking you in advance for your cooperation.

Offline Tom Shannon

• http://www.landracing.com
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2009, 01:44:07 PM »
Those with rooms at the Red Garter in Wendover,NV might want to have a "plan B". They were to close in early March 2009, but has now been extended to May 2009.
http://www.elkodaily.com/articles/2009/03/04news/local_news/doc49aef18630503353288930.txt

if link won't fire go: http://www.elkodaily.com  type Wendover Red Garter closing in search window
 :?
Tom Shannon
On The Road

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2009, 06:33:13 PM »
Note Model T Steve's comments about the dumpster and Porta-potties, and please do what he asks -- about using them and cleaning up.  He's the guy that drives that old T with the "Stupid Car" license plate -- and checks and cleans the garbage bags and baskets and he's the guy that spent a half-day or so cleaning up the area at the Bend in the Road at the end of SpeedWeek '08.  Make his (volunteer) job easier, please, by using the stuff we put there for you all to use. 

Instead of saying it was YOU that made a mess -- I'll ask that when you're there and see a bit of garbage on the ground by the dumpster -- please take a minute to pick up after the lazy lout who didn't bother to clean up after himself -- and put that garbage into the dumpster.  Just do one (or maybe two) items -- and the end results wil be a cleaner Bend in the Road.  Do it all week long and the place will be cleaner all week long, too.

Thanks VERY MUCH!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com