Author Topic: Current state  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
Current state
« on: August 12, 2022, 08:07:09 PM »
In case you are wondering what's happening in the aftermath of the Speedweek flash flood, Del, Lucas and some long time BMST racers are headed down to the salt from WA to assess things. Del says she will give an update on Saturday the 13th. The bonnevillemst.com website has info on this page  -

https://bonnevillemst.com/news/salt-conditions/

The fastest way to get any updates is by following the BMST FB page -

https://www.facebook.com/bonnevillemst

FWIW I've been pulling up the salt flats camera every few hours for the past week, and today it finally looked liked things are starting to dry out a bit. Pray to the gods of speed for wind and sun.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: Current state
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 09:46:19 PM »
I am hoping for sun and wind from now until the 27th also. The problem is that there is a LOT of water to dry out and the long range forecasts show thunderstorms or some amount of precipitation almost every day until then.  :-o

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline yamagamma

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 10:22:51 AM »
83% chance of rain Sat 13th
80% on 14th
81% on 18th
79% on 19th
72% on Monday 22nd
Does not look good. How do you prep two race courses in those conditions?

Back in 1992 the meet got rained out on the Saturday. 4 inches of water in the pits. They let us back out to race on the Wednesday. I did one run and the track had 1 inch of slush on it. Not fun at all, everyone went home! It takes more than a few days for the track to properly dry out and be safe for racing.  :-(

Never underestimate an old guy on a Yamaha!

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 01:02:23 PM »
FWIW I'm seeing a forecast of more like 25% chance of rain or less for the next ten days on Weather Underground. Also FWIW it at least looks like salt again this morning on the flats camera. In 2019 the surface went from unusable slush at Speedweek to a little bit soft here and there but plenty good enough to run by BMST. That was with some hot windy weather in between, no doubt. It's a tough one to call for sure, but Del has a lot of experience making that call. This kind of thing definitely brings out the optimists and the pessimists. I tend to switch sides a few times each day.

Offline yamagamma

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 01:42:47 PM »

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2022, 03:36:30 PM »
I wonder what that white dot is in the photo?  It was part of the line that formed the pits when they set up for speedweek .    I thought it might be the semi trailer that was brought out with ice for sale but I am just speculating.  Who knows what it is?
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline yamagamma

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 04:02:09 PM »
Something stuck in the mud! The pits still look under water today.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2022, 04:16:06 PM »
The white dot looks like someone left their pop up tent behind.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 04:22:45 PM »
It does look like an EZ Up but I doubt that it would last out there with the occasional wind gust.  We took our canopy off of the frame each night.  There can be some really crazy winds out there during the night and during the day the wind comes up quickly sometimes.  I bet someone will know what it is.  Maybe Slim forgot to pick up his trailer.   :-D
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2022, 05:01:10 PM »
It does look like an EZ Up but I doubt that it would last out there with the occasional wind gust.  We took our canopy off of the frame each night.  There can be some really crazy winds out there during the night and during the day the wind comes up quickly sometimes.  I bet someone will know what it is.  Maybe Slim forgot to pick up his trailer.   :-D

Well, it's white, not black so it can't be the ghost of the big Monster tent where the girls were passing out free cans of Monster. That tent blew away long ago.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline toclub

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2022, 06:33:23 PM »
I think it is the circus tent set up for marlo treats streamliner.

Online Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2022, 09:26:11 PM »
That's not nice.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline desotoman

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2022, 10:28:56 AM »

I think it is the tent set up for Marlo Treit's streamliner.

Stan, is that better?

IMO I would bet on it. My thoughts are it is rented for a week and they will pick it up Monday or Tuesday. JMO

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2022, 01:01:27 PM »
Well, maybe not.  The Target  550 has a purpose-built tent that looks sorta like a circus tent, with three peaks not one, and I'm pretty sure that the team wouldn't have left that.  It's gotta to have cost a big bunch of money.  And it's very distinctively hugely recognisable.  Unless the angle is pretty close to perfectly end-on - - I'd expect to see more of those obvious attributes.

YMMV

Edit:  I took another look just now and the visibility is better than yesterday, and maybe the white thing is big, like Marlo's tent - - but I can't say for sure.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 01:03:15 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2022, 03:23:52 PM »

We were pitted on the 1st row about the 31/4 and that 3 peak tent was on the 2nd row not far from us. it was a quit involved setup Latters ECT. Never saw any cars there.

We loaded up Monday with not many pits left and it was still there.

JL222