Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3285131 times)

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #1021 on: April 02, 2012, 08:59:59 AM »
Speedtalk REQUIRES membership to even VIEW chats/blogs.  No guest provision to try it.

?????
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1022 on: April 02, 2012, 09:52:41 AM »
Viewed Metric & Multistandard's Online Catalog:  NO listing for BSW 5/8x16tpi   only  BSW 5/8x11tpi & BSF 5/8x14tpi.  At least they were SHCS's equivalent to US grade 8/Metric grade 12.9

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #1023 on: April 02, 2012, 10:07:15 AM »
Speedtalk REQUIRES membership to even VIEW chats/blogs.  No guest provision to try it.

?????
Fordboy

I can't belive that, maybe to post in advanced tech. Is it the same if you go via speedtalk.com and "racer forum"?

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1024 on: April 02, 2012, 10:40:31 AM »
I can't belive that, maybe to post in advanced tech. Is it the same if you go via speedtalk.com and "racer forum"?

Hi charlie101,

Used both of your links, resulting in:

Sorry but you are not permitted to use the search system.

Message that pops up on screen.

:???

Could be me of course.  Are you a member of speedtalk?  Maybe the difference is that I am not.
Best,
Fordboy

First link prompts me to register for membership & denies "viewing".  Tried it twice....
F/B
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:45:40 AM by fordboy628 »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1025 on: April 02, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »
Hey, Charlie101-

If I go to speedtalk.com/forum, I'm in to the main page, but under which topic sould I be looking?

Thanks!

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1026 on: April 02, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »
So the great snipe hunt for the perfect BMC valve spring continues.................. Am hopeful that Kawi's will be the one.

Midget,

I am wondering if the WWW has the equivalent of "Match.com" for racers & racing valve springs?!?    Probably unlikely..........

Fordboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1027 on: April 02, 2012, 04:13:44 PM »
So the great snipe hunt for the perfect BMC valve spring continues.................. Am hopeful that Kawi's will be the one.

Midget,

I am wondering if the WWW has the equivalent of "Match.com" for racers & racing valve springs?!?    Probably unlikely..........

Fordboy

Springs arrived today - I'll see if I can sneak out early and run over to C&S.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1028 on: April 02, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
Midget,

Koool maann..... 8-)   Keeping all my fingers, toes, etc, crossed.

Will toast when verdict is known.
Fordboy

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #1029 on: April 02, 2012, 05:29:14 PM »
I've been searching like mad for the input I based my reply on, but starting to suspect I remembered wrong name alias on that forum, sorry. However hydrolastic do race BMC's but isn't the man I was thinking of. I'll get back when I find it.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1030 on: April 02, 2012, 10:54:43 PM »
Okay, these seem to be heading in the right direction.

Assuming 1.340 installed height gets me ~ 125, .850 = 300 open, and a .750 coil bind.  Head should be back in Beerhaven by Thursday – I’ll be able to confirm that height and see how it goes together.

If they don’t bend the pushrods, I’m thinking they should keep the rest of the valvetrain in check.

Stock keepers fit like they were intended for this install.

Offline Rob

« Reply #1031 on: April 03, 2012, 12:23:46 AM »
Viewed Metric & Multistandard's Online Catalog:  NO listing for BSW 5/8x16tpi   only  BSW 5/8x11tpi & BSF 5/8x14tpi.  At least they were SHCS's equivalent to US grade 8/Metric grade 12.9

My mistake and correct you are Fordboy, that'll teach me to skim. The listing I have says 5/8" - 16 tpi Whitworth thread FORM.

EDIT: Further investigation shows it to be UNS and Wikipedia says;

Sometimes "special" diameter and pitch combinations (UNS) are used, for example a 0.619 in (15.7 mm) major diameter with 20 threads per inch. UNS threads are rarely used for bolts, but rather on nuts, tapped holes, and threaded OD's. Because of this UNS taps are readily available.[5][6] Most UNS threads have more threads per inch than the correlating UNF or UNEF standard, therefore they are often the strongest thread available.[7] Because of this they are often used in applications where high stresses are encountered, such as machine tool spindles[8] or automotive spindles.

Cheers,
Rob
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:38:39 AM by Rob »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1032 on: April 03, 2012, 08:56:15 AM »
Okay, these seem to be heading in the right direction.

Assuming 1.340 installed height gets me ~ 125, .850 = 300 open, and a .750 coil bind.  Head should be back in Beerhaven by Thursday – I’ll be able to confirm that height and see how it goes together.

Midget,

Any notion of the valve length on your cylinder head?  Is it the shorter Cooper 'S' length or is it the longer '1275' length??  Kind of like which eye do you want poked out......longer valves help the springs but will require shorter pushrods, etc, etc, the old cascading nightmare bit.   Now where was that barrel I was saving to go over Niagara Falls.......

Rob,

Thanks for the BSW support, I'm sure everyone appreciates the time you have spent on this.   I'm still hoping the the crank is tapped for UNF threads (5/8-18tpi), if only to keep things simple.   Guess that makes me a simpleton.   And I'm OK with it.  The water pump drive component engineering is affected by the crank fastener, which is connected to the knee bone, connected to the thigh bone, etc, etc....

:cheers: to all
Fordboy

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1033 on: April 03, 2012, 09:34:08 AM »
Any notion of the valve length on your cylinder head?  Is it the shorter Cooper 'S' length or is it the longer '1275' length??  Kind of like which eye do you want poked out......longer valves help the springs but will require shorter pushrods, etc, etc, the old cascading nightmare bit.   Now where was that barrel I was saving to go over Niagara Falls.......

Well, maybe we should empty that barrel first - That, I have a method for, and have demonstrated proficiency -

:cheers:

Horse - cart.

I don't believe I have the S valves - my recollection is that they were within a snail's whisker of the stock Spridget valves.

And Rob, Thanks.  Are you going to be able to make the rescheduled Lake Gairdner event?  I see Doc's making noises about getting his rear in gear - and finishing up the differential, too.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1034 on: April 03, 2012, 02:30:01 PM »
I don't believe I have the S valves - my recollection is that they were within a snail's whisker of the stock Spridget valves.

Midget,

Not proposing valve change, just want to know what the baseline is.
 :cheers:
Fordboy