Author Topic: Corrosion Prevention on Non-race cars  (Read 16911 times)

Offline Beltguy

• Beltguy website (links to my other sites)
Re: Corrosion Prevention on Non-race cars
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 01:20:16 PM »
Jon, thanks.  I will be hanging out at the bend in the motorhome starting the 4th or 5th (have to hang out somewhere).  I was not planning on going on the salt until the 6th.  Just thought if they were short of help, I would be glad to provide a somewhat warm body :-)

I need to write a PM to Mike or Glen or ?  about both being a volunteer and possibly servicing Cold Fire systems if Deist is not there (given the passing of Jim).  Could you point me to the correct member name (I have Glen's, but don't know if that is the correct person)?

Jim
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:25:45 PM by Beltguy »
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Retired Gates Blower Belt "expert"
My tribute to the Phoenix Land Speed Record Truck:
http://www.beltguy.com/Phoenix_LSR_Truck/The%20Phoenix%20LSR%20Truck.htm

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2009, 03:26:19 PM »
Mike is . . .

mrwaters@roadrunner.com

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Beltguy

• Beltguy website (links to my other sites)
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 03:55:51 PM »
Thanks Stan.  I will contact him.

Getting back on subject, the brake issue has me concerned.  It sounds like the salt can affect both drum and disk brakes.  Someone mentioned CorrosionX.  I have used that product quite a bit and it is great stuff.  You can buy it on line (one source:  http://www.buycorrosionx.com/ccp1-catshow/ProductsCX.html?gclid=CPSqztXir5kCFQwxawodPHsKIA) and now the company site says that True Value hardware stores carry it.

It looks like I will use Salt-X (http://www.salt-x.com/) before I leave and then again when I get there.  Then I will spray the brake areas (both axles are disk) with CorrosionX.  Sound like a plan?  I will also be looking for conveyor belting (think I can get it for free) to make BIG mudflaps.

THANKS for all the great input!

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Retired Gates Blower Belt "expert"
My tribute to the Phoenix Land Speed Record Truck:
http://www.beltguy.com/Phoenix_LSR_Truck/The%20Phoenix%20LSR%20Truck.htm

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 04:52:34 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but it didn't make much sense to start a new one.

I'm researching corrosion protection for my race car and found the thread.... the last post lead me to check out the CorrosionX product, and I saw the mention of using it on the brakes---

One concern there-- http://www.buycorrosionx.com/ccp1-catshow/ProductsCX.html?gclid=CPSqztXir5kCFQwxawodPHsKIA

It appears the product is not just a corrosion inhibitor, but also is a lubricant.  Not sure showering brakes would be ideal....
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com and http://AMPEFI.com
13 Records total held at the ECTA Ohio Mile (as of 9/2015)
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Congrats to our customers:
Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »
As previously mentioned, I to cut up plastic and tape it to the floor boards.

The last time I ran my car was in 2011, and I am working on it as we speak. Today I climb out from the inside and lo and behold there is a clump of salt on the garage floor. How did that get there?  :?

I did try the sprinkler, that works good! Then I also strip down to my swimming shorts, lay under the car with a nozzle on my garden hose and wash as much as I can off.

Mud flaps are great as well, and don't forget about trailer mud flaps.

The other thing I do is clean the vehicles/trailer, etc before you go to the salt, get mud off etc.

Also in 2011, we tried using two vehicles. One to go back and fourth the hotel, one for towing/pushing the car. IMHO not worth it, two vehicles to clean, uuughhhh  :-)

TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2012, 07:36:06 PM »
what I like to do after leaving the salt--
   is to drive through a gully washer for an hour and a half or 2.

if it's not on the way home, I wait for 1 in Cleveland and have to spend another 2 hours driving the rig.

I'm figuring that the rainwater is going to go the same place  the salt is going. if it's into some type of crevice, it will either drain out an exit or flood that compartment till the salt is gone.

bf
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 04:45:09 PM »
With a 2000 mile trip home after the event, I guess there's a pretty fair chance of catching a 'gully washer' somewhere along the way home ;)
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com and http://AMPEFI.com
13 Records total held at the ECTA Ohio Mile (as of 9/2015)
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Congrats to our customers:
Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 09:56:10 PM »
After destroying my truck undercarriage despite sprinklers/WD40 baths and plugging the Wendover coin op car wash, now I rent a truck. Shock mount bolts welded solid in lower control arms,brakes and rotor look like Titanic archor parts...no more.

I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline ken s

• New folks
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2012, 01:30:57 AM »
Would using a pressure washer to apply the Salt X work better? Drive it into those areas not normally reached with low psi. Anyone tried this?

Ken

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2012, 06:29:41 AM »
I would NOT recommend using a pressure washer as it pushes the salt into the sheet metal overlaps of the body. We use Salt-X in a garden sprayer.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2012, 03:56:48 PM »
if you are going to apply it ( before going to the salt ) with a pressure washer ;
it would be a good idea to keep the pressurized spray away from seals and bearings.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »
I use a Hudson sprayer as well as a old hand spray bottle to get into some spots, There are some other ideas as well, Just really clean with fresh water and re-spray with salt-x.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2012, 10:09:18 PM »
You know, I'm just so damned fed up with my Magnum that next time I take it out, I'm not even going to wash it when I leave Bonneville.  That'll eventually give me the excuse I need to pull the Hemi and stuff it into something that doesn't need front end work every six months.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: