Author Topic: The Long Black Line Topic AGAIN  (Read 12206 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: The Long Black Line Topic AGAIN
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 01:58:34 AM »
Pete,

When was the last time you made a fast pass 250+ down the salt?  With what the SCTA/BNI have done the courses are pretty easy to find however harder to announce/time..leave that to the Pros and you should be fine.

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 11:30:39 PM »
 I never got to drive with the lines but I didn't have any issues with the bags as 1/4 mile markers as it was this year. I could see it being a little better with more bags, every 1/8 mile maybe.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline jl222

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011, 01:24:01 AM »
  I have no problem seeing the course [294 1st timed mile and 318 indcated at end of 1st mile] 2010 in a Camaro.

The only problem is when I hit them :-D and the dents in the car.  2 out of three spins :-P,

Adding more markers would increase the chances of hitting one.

Glad I didn't have the 1st dents fixed. Now it looks like it was in a Nascar race.

JL222

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 01:30:31 AM by jl222 »

Offline JoeRider677

• FOIL HAT RACING - BIKES BUILT BETTER
    • Bikes Built Better
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2011, 08:20:31 AM »
2011 was my first trip to Bonneville and my first participation. I was worried about knowing how to aim. Yes I was not super fast, did not have any trouble with the markers every 1/4. I picked a spot off in the distance to aim for, got to my spot on the couse and got after it! I know the courses got moved at least once during speed week this year and I know that multiple lines would have been confusing. I like the 1/4 markers
Foil Hat Racing
Bikes Built Better
SCTA Records 2011   ECTA 2013
MPS-BG   120.507     M-BF 140.507    
MPS-BF   141.236      M-BG 146.19
M-BG      118.674      MPS-BG 165.01
M-BF      132.905       MPS-BF 170.32
LTA 2013
1 mile - MPS-BG 174.341
1.5 Mile-MPS-BG 184.09
ECTA 2014
M-BG 155.38
M-BF 149.00
MPS-BG 175.57
MPS-BF 185.33
SCTA 2014
---
---
---
---
How hard do you practice when no one is watching

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2011, 10:54:42 AM »

that's a good point.   Maybe then markers that wouldn't hurt anything would be better.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2011, 11:37:17 AM »
How do you make 'em stand up without any structure?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline JR529

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2011, 11:42:10 AM »
The story I heard was that when there was a center black line everyone would run right down it and destroy that small strip of salt right away. I don't know if it was true as I have only run without the center line.

Offline JR529

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »

that's a good point.   Maybe then markers that wouldn't hurt anything would be better.

I'll bet that hitting pretty much anything at 250+ is going to hurt something.

Offline jww36

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2011, 02:41:48 PM »
One of the things I have thought about for finish line at El Mirage is a 6' column of black and white helium ballons like you see at car dealerships for weekend promotions. They would be fastened at ground level. The problem with single large ballons on a string is the wind blows and all you have is a single ballon blowing close to the ground. I think a helium filled black trash bag or ballon fastened right on the ground could be used as 1/4 mile markers at Bonneville. It won't do as much damage as PVC at 200-400 MPH.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2011, 03:16:57 PM »
The story I heard was that when there was a center black line everyone would run right down it and destroy that small strip of salt right away. I don't know if it was true as I have only run without the center line.

JR is correct on the single line and the erosion from cars running on or beside it. The increase in entries was the reason for two lines and later 3 lines and following that two courses due to 400 plus entries. Now there are 4 courses and SCTA/BNI is looking at ways to improve the visibilty. Any suggestions should be sent to them to look into.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline DallasV

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2011, 04:31:19 PM »
The black lines at bonneville, to me, are more nostalgic than anything. Like the bricks at indy, or the green monster at Fenway. Does the game change if it isn't there or it changes...not really, but it is what we think of when we go to those venues. I drive a roadster so huggin a line on the course is not much of an option anyway, and my stratagy has always been to pick up the next set of markers and attempt to kick field goals all the way down the course. But I miss the lines. Nothing cooler than being at the starting line an looking at those lines 80 feet apart fading off to a single point miles down the course. but I'm a romantic what can I say.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2011, 06:01:51 PM »
The fastest way through the course is a straight line..Even the slightest wander will slow your time.

I want ya to pay particular attention, because The Amazing Master Tool Corporation, a subsidiary of Fly By Night Industries has entrusted who? -- me! -- to show you! -- the handiest and the dandiest kitchen tool you've ever seen.

You put this baby on your car, line up exactly one foot outside the markers and BAZINGA you have a straight run.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2011, 08:04:05 PM »
You can cut the cost of the long black line nearly in half if you did a dashed line, say 50 fit line, 50 ft no line. I'm with Bob Drury on the
cones getting narrower as you go faster. With the NAE, we don't use a line, just a point at the far distance to aim at. We're not limited with
width of track so it isn't a problem. We do put up wienee cones each 1/2 mile and a 4x4 banner each mile. I looked into the flexible poles
as Blue suggested. They can be purchased for about $45.00 each but that can get expensive if you need allot of them. I also agree that
oil is probably not the best choice but the green dye they put on lawns in Southern California might be cheaper...
Ed

Offline MC 1314

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2011, 10:21:05 PM »
Dean 

Those creeps at Fly By Night stole my idea! The least you can do as their representative is send me one to test with.

Bob
It's just a case of too soon old and too late smart. Will Penny

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2011, 10:45:31 PM »
The fastest way through the course is a straight line..Even the slightest wander will slow your time.

I want ya to pay particular attention, because The Amazing Master Tool Corporation, a subsidiary of Fly By Night Industries has entrusted who? -- me! -- to show you! -- the handiest and the dandiest kitchen tool you've ever seen.

You put this baby on your car, line up exactly one foot outside the markers and BAZINGA you have a straight run.

Dean, Stop giving all the secrets away.  :-o Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”