Author Topic: Speed Demon 715 New Record Aug 2020. 470mph average. 481mph top speed.  (Read 9673 times)

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
Very nice looking streamlined car shaped like a bullet.

"George Poteet and his Speed Demon 715 posted a two-way average of 470.015 mph at the SCTA Bonneville Speed Week 2020, setting a land-speed record for a piston-driven ground vehicle. The 71-year old Poteet also set a top speed of 481.576 mph in the last mile, which is the fastest a piston-powered, wheel-driven ground vehicle has ever gone."

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/08/chevrolet-powered-speed-demon-715-streamliner-sets-new-bonneville-record/amp/

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/speeddemon715/

« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 10:21:28 PM by J79 »
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: Speed Demon New Record Aug 2020. 470mph average. 480mph top speed.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 01:06:52 AM »
I wish these reports would stop saying that George "beat Danny's record" (which still stands in AA/FS, not AA/BFS).
Or has some sanctioning body established a class for "Any piston engine powered/wheel driven vehicle" while i wasn't paying attention? :?

[only compaining about reporting, not about the fabulous success of Speed Demon]
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 05:59:51 AM »
Yes, the media always seems to get something screwed up in their reports!   In addition to NOT breaking Danny's record, they should have said the 481+ speed was over the last 132 feet, rather than the last mile.  But congratulations to George and the Speed Demon Team - I would guess this record will stand for a while!

Jeff in Boise 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 06:01:54 AM by trimmers »
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 08:23:29 AM »
It would be helpful and informative to specify which sanctioning body and record is being claimed in these announcements. Is it under SCTA-BIN, USFRA, or FIA rules and sanction? FIA is the toughest with the two-way runs required within an hour over the record distance for flying start. Also, the deteriorating salt makes that record format very difficult at Bonneville now, I am told. The SCTA-BIN and USFRA regulation is more accommodating to the current conditions, but are not the same as the FIA record regulation. It is truly amazing to see the wheel-driven speed records elevated, but let's be clear as to what records are claimed so as not to cheat current record holders, whatever the class or sanction.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 11:13:03 AM »
To those of us who know the difference it?s understood as we know there are specific classes involved.
To others and the media in general George did beat or best Danny?s top speed and they are both using pistons to power their engines. I don?t feel it is the Association responsibility to write corrections or even comment. At this time both these men and their teams reached the pinicle of their aspirations and those of us who know them both applaud their efforts.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 07:47:18 PM by jimmy six »
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline J79

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 07:57:42 PM »
What does AA/FS & AA/BFS stand for and what's the difference?

I wish these reports would stop saying that George "beat Danny's record" (which still stands in AA/FS, not AA/BFS).
Or has some sanctioning body established a class for "Any piston engine powered/wheel driven vehicle" while i wasn't paying attention? :?

[only compaining about reporting, not about the fabulous success of Speed Demon]

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline Stan Back

Re: Speed Demon New Record Aug 2020. 470mph average. 481mph top speed.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 08:44:15 PM »
The "B" stands for super(or turbo)charged.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline ratpatrol66

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 12:53:15 AM »

Get a SCTA rule book!

AA is engine class over 500CI, FS is fuelstreamliner. Danny's car was a AA/FS. AA/BFS is over 500CI blown fuel streamliner. 

Offline J79

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 01:20:46 AM »
What's a Fuel Streamliner? Thanks RatPatrol66

Get a SCTA rule book!

AA is engine class over 500CI, FS is fuelstreamliner. Danny's car was a AA/FS. AA/BFS is over 500CI blown fuel streamliner.

Offline jl222

Re: Speed Demon 715 New Record Aug 2020. 470mph average. 481mph top speed.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 02:33:42 AM »
  AA/BGS means engine over 500 cu in B is for blown [supercharged] G is for gasoline S is for streamliner

AA/BFS all the above but F is for Fuel other than gas. Such as nitromethane or alcohol ECT.
   AA/FS is not supercharged

Don't ask what nitro or alcohol is.

JL222
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 02:39:23 AM by jl222 »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 06:38:27 AM »
Redneck explanation:  " a long skinny car with the wheels inside the body, built to go very fast, and can only go straight."  :naughty

VS a Lakester  that the wheels have to be outside the body like my AVATAR
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 06:40:10 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 07:35:56 AM »
I like the way you snuck a reference to Lakesters  :clap into the Streamliner speed discussion RR  :cheers:

John
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline J79

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 12:27:12 PM »
Does "Gas" mean what you buy at gas stations that you would put in your normal modern low horespower car? Does it include or exclude racing gas that is not available at your normal gas stations?

AA/BGS means engine over 500 cu in B is for blown [supercharged] G is for gasoline S is for streamliner

AA/BFS all the above but F is for Fuel other than gas. Such as nitromethane or alcohol ECT.
   AA/FS is not supercharged

Don't ask what nitro or alcohol is.

JL222

Offline J79

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2020, 12:30:11 PM »
Are there more varieties of cars or is it a Streamliner or Lakester only?

Redneck explanation:  " a long skinny car with the wheels inside the body, built to go very fast, and can only go straight."  :naughty

VS a Lakester  that the wheels have to be outside the body like my AVATAR

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 12:37:44 PM »
Buy a Rule Book ? all that is explained.

Take a look at the SCTA records online (for free!) and and you'll see descriptions of varying classes of bikes and cars.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"