Author Topic: C/GALT Body Stretch??  (Read 1142 times)

Offline 71GSSDemon

C/GALT Body Stretch??
« on: April 24, 2024, 09:19:17 PM »
So I was reading in the 2023 rule book.  It says in C/GALT you can stretch the front ahead of the firewall a maximum of 2%.  So on a car with a 208" overall length, does this mean I can stretch the front end sheet metal 4.16" as long as it doesnt add streamlining?  Like a Torino Talladega or Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II cars (yes Mercury went 6" but you get it)?  Overall unless making it to impound it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Yes?

Offline jl222

Re: C/GALT Body Stretch??
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 10:01:45 PM »

YEAH, 208 +2%=212.16

Thats what we did to the 222 Camaro. Nobody has protests us or checked but we carry paperwork off the internet from looking up car specs.

JL222

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 10:15:53 PM »
Thank you Sir.  I may add 4" to the nose of the car now. 

Eric

Offline MRK

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 11:54:58 AM »
Thank you Sir.  I may add 4" to the nose of the car now. 

Eric

Please read the rule again.
The body stretch must be in the "cowl area in front of the firewall". 
I understand that "cowl area" is rather vague but in the spirit of the rule, adding 4" to the "front" of the car would not be acceptable.
Check with Mike LeFevers to make sure.
Cheers.

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline jl222

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2024, 12:34:38 PM »

Yeah in the cow areal for ALT class. At record certification last Nov a comp coup was disqualified for extension not being in cowl area. Was overturned because extensions in Comp Coup are not limited to cowl area.

JL222   
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 12:36:16 PM by jl222 »

Offline MRK

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 02:12:30 PM »

Yeah in the cow areal for ALT class. At record certification last Nov a comp coup was disqualified for extension not being in cowl area. Was overturned because extensions in Comp Coup are not limited to cowl area.

JL222   

Hey Troy.
The vehicle you mention was handed their record at the meet. They were not DQ'd.
And it had nothing to do with body stretch.

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2024, 04:28:29 PM »
Ok thank you.  I read it that way also, "in cowl area in front of firewall". My comment of "nose" was as vague as the rule.  I meant in front of the firewall but not necessarily just the limited cowl area.

Now thinking more about it:  Not sure what the purpose of adding 4 inches, in my case, in that area.  Where does 4.HH (wheelbase) come in for C/GALT?  If stretching there, it would increase the wheelbase in order to keep body panel relationship, no?  Wouldn't stretching the body at the cowl area increase the overall length of the body?  How would it matter if it was added at the cowl or to the nose at that point?  Maybe I am best to just run in an Open/timed category, despite never worrying about making it to impound.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 04:44:33 PM by 71GSSDemon »

Offline 37 ROADSTER

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2024, 07:57:45 PM »
I was under the impression that the percentage of set back was based on wheelbase not over all length.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2024, 08:25:58 PM »
That's interesting.

The 4" stretch could mean another inch in engine set-back.

Probably wouldn't make a bit of advantage, but in Impound, once and a while, they make 'em up as they go.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2024, 08:53:26 PM »
This rule was placed in the book at a time when NHRA Pro Stock cars were really stock appearing using actual stock steel bodies. As they changed almost yearly many became for sale and the only thing that made them illegal for SCTA rules was the area was 4" longer at the windshield/firewall line and a 4" longer wheel base which was better for stability for the speeds they were attaining especially in Blown Fuel At the time Altereds, technically, were Gas Coupes with headlight covers, grille covers and step pans.

Roy Fjasted provided the information and asked for a rule change and it was voted on by the BOD and became allowable. In this era also there were many front engine cars converted to rear wheel drive used in the NHRA that could easily compete with the SCTA by adding the necessary safety rules and they did..

These changes would not allow a properly built Altered this allowable change using Gasoline back into Gas Coupe

When mentioning engine set bac and a firewall remember that the Altererds, Gas and Fuel coupes, allow a 25% using the wheel base and the first spark plug in calculations.......JD
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 03:25:07 PM by jimmy six »
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline bobh

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2024, 07:44:40 AM »
It's not printed but they mean 2 percent of the wheelbase.

Offline 37 ROADSTER

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2024, 12:38:24 PM »
Big difference between wheel base and  overall length

Offline jl222

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2024, 03:17:57 PM »
I was under the impression that the percentage of set back was based on wheelbase not over all length.
Rule book says body pg 78

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2024, 03:20:57 PM »
It's not printed but they mean 2 percent of the wheelbase.

If it's not printed how to you know what they mean?

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2024, 08:55:57 PM »

JL222   

Hey Troy.
The vehicle you mention was handed their record at the meet. They were not DQ'd.
And it had nothing to do with body stretch.

It's john ....JL222 Troy's dad,

We were in record certification right next to the AutuPower comp coupe and body stretch in wrong area was the discussion about disqualification or so I though.

If not that. What?

JL222