Author Topic: Rear Gear Ratio  (Read 7214 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Rear Gear Ratio
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 08:39:55 PM »
My opinion: TIFWIW
 I run the higest numerical gear that I think my eng will stay together for a few runs with the smallest dia tire that will give me my targeted speed. Succesfull but expensive---I have blown 2 engs at speed---that is why I like the freewheeling feature of my GV.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 11:40:03 AM »
What Sparky says has merit...A very experienced engine builder once told be it was easier to pull a gear than pull a tire...........Worked so well for me that I put on a 32.5" rear tire to get my Red Hat. :evil: :evil:.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline coolgent01

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 07:14:05 PM »
Jim..Sparky.. Guys you are talking to a drag guy.... I dont have a quick change, so I am trying to use one or a couple of the 9" pumpkins that I have, and just find gears sets and set them up and I guess I can experiment. I dont want to grenade  anything  if I can keep from it... I have puked the crank out of a few and it gets dollar tight quick....I need to utilize as much as I can of what I have,so that is the reason I was asking for a base line to start.. There's no way in creation that my ride will be a threat to the big league guys that  are there... I just want to have a good fun time and if it works out then thats OK,if not I can always go fishing,or hunting......Also I dont know the difference between a red hat/blue hat/or a top hat.....Dont even know what the significance is for this... so before I step on somebodys toes or start making people stiff, would some one explain  what that is....Thanks again  Steve

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 07:32:59 PM »
Also I dont know the difference between a red hat/blue hat/or a top hat.....Dont even know what the significance is for this... so before I step on somebodys toes or start making people stiff, would some one explain  what that is....Thanks again  Steve

Good question, you're going to do just fine in this sport.

In post #15 above you see three hats in Sparky's avatar. The "Red" hat is that $30,000 hat you get when you enter the Bonneville 200 mph club. Because all you get for your efforts is a hat and tee shirt  :-D. The "blue" hat is known a the 300 mph chapter of the 2 club. The last hat in the picture is known as the "merlow" (sp) hat that signifies entry into the El Mirage 200 mph club aka "Dirty Two".

Sparky received all of his in 2008. What a guy.... 8-)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:35:08 PM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 08:40:13 PM »
And to go on about hats, Steve -- getting into one of the Clubs requires more than "just" going 200 mph (not that that's an easy chore!).  To gain entry a racer must set (or break an existing, or exceed a pre-set minimum speed) a record over 200 mph. 

So - if the existing record in your class is, say, 180mph, chances are there's no minimum -- all you have to do is set a record over 200 mph and you'll have earned yourself a red hat (at Bonneville or El Mirage or Maxton).

If the existing record is over 200 mph you'll need to set a record that exceeds that one (by at least .001 mph).  Note that some - many - classes have minimums stated in them.  For instance, in the motorcycle A/PS/F 1350 class, the record is about 209 mph -- but to get a hat in that class the record needs to be at or above 215.  Some of the minimums in the car classes are very high -- as much as (or more than) 280!

I gie you these examples to let you know what we joke about the first hat costing so much -- it's a BIG goal, and often requires years and dollars and lots of sweat to achieve.  But boyoboy, will you treasure that hat once you've got it in your hatrack - and on your head.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 01:32:42 AM »
Dyno, I wore my 200 MPH blue dress shirt to my 45th high school reunion a few years back at a Sunday breakfast. A good buddy from from DC admired it and asked what it took. The guy is pretty well off to say the least. Knowing I wouldn't get truthful answer but I asked how much money he had. While he was working on an answer I told him it wasn't enough.

My standard answer to what it costs to get a hat or in my sons and my case 2 hat's we always reply "All we had".

We lost our record but not the hat..................................................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 08:51:05 AM »
30M--  LOL ---that may be close at $1.00 per hour  :-D  :cheers: I have no idea---but its a bunch---but it became a burning desire---otherwise  ---I sure would hope that my brain has not become so muddled that I thought it all was fun LOL!!!!!!!

---sure did put a smile on my face once we got it done--as DAN says "a smile about 5.277 miles wide."  :cheers: !!!!

Again THANKS:to ALL who VOLUNTEERED
 helped or INSPIRED me to keep plugging away!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:43:59 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline mvwolfe

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 12:11:05 PM »

J.D-45th High School reunion?  That makes you at least as old as D.W.

I was wearing my hat at Oshkosh and this wise guy says " Did you earn that hat or buy it"  I told him the reality is we all buy them.

Monte
Monte Wolfe

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 12:15:50 PM »
But we digress . . .

Back to the original question which we've all ignored.  Mainly because we haven't been given enuf info to make a wild-ass guess.

We still need to know what kinda horsepower he's talking about in his proposed Gas Roadster.  And let him know that his build requirements are keyed to the class record of the vehicle he's gonna build.  So help us out -- and we'll help you!

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 12:39:46 PM »
Here you go, we had just over 700 HP to go 216. 2.56 gear, 32.5" tire, 5700 rpm, 2.5" cut off 32 Ford grille shell.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 04:56:38 PM »
I think Im going to have to stick to the $10 hats  :-D