Author Topic: 200mph club  (Read 36728 times)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
200mph club
« on: March 27, 2008, 10:42:47 AM »
Dynoroom; In another thread you said that to get into the 200 club the minimum was 235, did you mean for a specific class? I thought that if you run a 200.001 record that gets you into the 200 club.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: 200mph club
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 11:06:58 AM »
Dynoroom; In another thread you said that to get into the 200 club the minimum was 235, did you mean for a specific class? I thought that if you run a 200.001 record that gets you into the 200 club.

Fred

There are some minimums established as it is suppose to be an achievement.  Let's say there is an open record in a AA streamliner class (over 500 cu. in.) where realistically the car should be able to run well into the 300's and they ran 201 and set the record.  Should that put them in the 200 mph club when someone else with a 1/2 liter (30 cu. in.) motor in a streamliner is trying to run over 200??

Check out their site..............

http://www.bonneville200mph.org/

.............. it is all there.

Good question though and there has been confusion for all of us at one time or another on what it takes to get "the hat",

Sum

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 11:53:39 AM »
it called the 200 mile per hour club  not the 230 mile per hour club --just another example of the patients running the asylum --typical of most clubs -- where is my buddy jack   willie buchta

just noticed this is sheris site   sorry babe
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 11:55:45 AM by sheribuchta »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 11:54:39 AM »
Sum pretty well summed it up  :-D.
I was talking about the class they wanted to run there car in (AA/CGC) where the current record is 188 mph but the minimum record speed to gain entry into the 2 club is 235 mph. Some people have found out the hard way that the perfectly good record they worked so hard to set did not meet the minimums established by the Bonneville 200 MPH Club. The 2 club is separate from the SCTA or the USFRA. When you go to the site that Sum posted it will become much more clear.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 12:17:14 PM »
It's a club you don't have to join.  And the minimums have been challenged and can be reset.  It makes more sense if you're more familiar with it.  And it beats cherry-pickin' Open records.  I don't think that anyone's been forced into it, but you never know!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 12:19:35 PM »
it called the 200 mile per hour club  not the 230 mile per hour club --just another example of the patients running the asylum --typical of most clubs -- where is my buddy jack   willie buchta

'Morning Willie,

History is very important to land speed racing. Not that long ago (back in the 70's) we had only a few car & bike classes. Streamliner, lakester, modified roadster, roadster, comp coupe, altered, gas coupe, & production (I might have missed a few but in general this is it). There was no blown/unblown, no gas/fuel 'liners or lakesters, if you ran a blower you moved up 2 classes.

There is a simple way to bring back no minimums to the 2 club, get rid of all the classes and run on the records the way we use to. F/BFS (@ 325.934 mph) would move up 2 classes.....oops that record is 358.536, no hat. How about unblown lakester, only 1 record in the gas class is faster than a fuel record so no hat for any of them. I can go on but my point is times have changed. It was much more difficult to get a hat in the past, I won't even get into the (qualify for a record then the next morning make a "two way" or a total of 3 run's to get a record) but we all know that salt and time are our enemies on that one.......  
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 12:35:13 PM »
WOW I really stirred it up with that one. I will be running on a 201.something so if I break it, it is an old record 1350p/p.I get a red hat. Now all I have to do is do it. :roll:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 01:03:57 PM »
WOW I really stirred it up with that one. I will be running on a 201.something so if I break it, it is an old record 1350p/p.I get a red hat. Now all I have to do is do it. :roll:

Well I think it was a good question and probably made some people more knowledgeable about how it all works.

Now about your case where there is a record over 201 have you checked the 200 mph club on that one.  I was too lazy to and don't understand all the bike classes anyway, but there is another scenerio where you can break a record over 200 and still not get in the club.  If a minimum was set in a class at say 210 by the 200 mph club and lets say the record was open.  Then someone comes along and runs 205 they will have the current record in the rule book, but they didn't get in the 2 club as they ran under 210.  If you look in the rule book and see their 205 record and think I just have to run 206 and I'll be in the 2 club that would be a bad assumption as the minimum is still 210.

.......... and to make things worst they can change the minimums at any point............ right Stainless  :cry: ??

c ya,

Sum

John Romero

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 01:19:46 PM »
I like the 2 club minimums. And I'm not a member.

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 01:27:42 PM »
I think Sum and Dynoroom have explained the Bonneville 200 MPH Club requirements very well - The Minimums were established at the request of the racers - some of whom were not 2 Club members at the time - the system works, however if there is a problem with a minimum please feel free to write your opinion down in letter form and send it to the Club for review. If the minimum is inappropriate it will be changed.  Pat Kinne

Offline RP

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 01:46:35 PM »

Fred.

Looking at the 200 club website, the 1350 PP has no minimum...just get the record and you get the hat.   Sure ....... sounds easy!!!! :-o

dwarner

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 02:16:45 PM »
Anyone challenging a Rick Yacoucci/John Noonan/Jason McVicar/Scott Guthrie record has their work cut out for them.

DW

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »
There is no 100% perfect answer to this quesion like many other aspects of LSR. The purpose of minimums is to maintain the integrity of the achievement. 21st. century technology makes 200 MPH possible on or in almost anything. Scaling back to two runs instead of three allows all racers to stress their equipment harder. Multiple meets gives the WF racer an atmospheric advantage. Even wind tunnels are now available to the general public at a reasonable fee. The Two Club is only trying to make future members earn their hat like those before. The minimums are chosen to reflect what has or can be done. They are not impossible but probably won't happen on a 105 degree day after a rain squall at SW. Those running gas classes face the more difficult challenge as the tip of the can or bigger pulley/jet are not options. But again technology advances and better head and cams are constantly being developed. If you are close to a record and a higher minimum was established, you are pissed. Inevitably someone gets the short stick. A few of us lost records when the USFRA and SCTA combined rule books. Keep trying, you are a racer after all; you will get there and the reward will mean even more. It took me 25 years to squeek in. It means the world to me; it will to you, I promise.

landracing

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 02:28:07 PM »

just noticed this is sheris site   sorry babe

Im not in the 200 mph CLUB, and I support the minimums, more then you will every know Willie.

You say "Patients running the Asylum", then you are degrading the 200 MPH Members of the club, old and new..

Your are always welcome to start your own club and call it whatever you want and have your own guidelines, I mean you could call it the underacheiving 200 mph club. :) :) (I hope that wasn't to harsh, it is hard to put "tone" into typing, it is a general comment)

However when I get in the real 200 MPH club I will be joining my PEERS and LEGENDS of the Land Speed Racing community, my name will be next to the people who made this sport historical.

Some got in by surpassing current record and some got in by going over the minimum in their class, they did what they needed to. some people it took 20-30 years to do it, some did it in the first year. It is already easier now versus then, since you dont have to do 3 RUNS to set a record. Used to be a qualifing run, then a down run and return run.

Rules and Regulations for entering the club are very well known and publisized. Like Dynoroom says there are records in the books well over 300 mph, and you have to beat the existing record or minimum to gain entrance into the club...

If you do not agree with a minimum in a class, then as Pat Kinne says, put it in writing and submit it to the 200 MPH Club Board.

I look forward to the day I get into the club, or year, or century.. At some point I am getting in the club... Don't care what the speed is because I will continue to try... I will argue the minimums if I feel they are out of line for the class too. Just have to speak up, put it in writing and give examples and data to back up your claim or recommended speed.

Jon

dwarner

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 02:29:09 PM »
Whoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before everyone jumps my case please let me add that I think all records are difficult to come by. It's the old "if it was easy everyone would have a record" saw.

I was just trying to make a point the a challenge to those I listed are tough. I am very familar with close to record speeds. My El Mirage hat was a 200.000 on a 192. Like Willie said, its a 200 club not a 201 club, easy for me to say at this point. My Bonneville hat, courtsey of Fast Honda Jim, was 230.851 on a 230 minimum.

Both these records were the result of driver error, amazing what you can do with your eyes closed. I respect each and every racer that enters my impound and leaves with their record be it 100 MPH or 300 MPH.  I know the sacrifice that it takes to race with us and appreciate those that put something on the race track.

There, I feel better.

DW