Author Topic: Fossett- Go Home!  (Read 38400 times)

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
Fossett- Go Home!
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2006, 06:51:34 PM »
Sorry... I meant to write Fossett.. No offence intended.

Smitty :P

landracing

Fossett- Go Home!
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2006, 08:50:48 PM »
Quote from: PorkPie
To the information I got, he done some FIA license runs. To run the car for FIA he needs a so one.

This is incorrect Pork Pie. In order for a person to run an FIA event they must have a FIA licence prior to the meet.

And on side note FIA does not have license runs...

Fossett ran under private time which he paid for.... NOT FIA AND NOT SCTA.

Jon

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Fossett- Go Home!
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2006, 08:52:20 PM »
My view is more power to him for giving it a go. After all he picked a record that is suitable for someone of his resources. The absolute land speed record can humble millionaires just as easily as the low buck back yard mechanic.

If he had chosen to "buy" a series of lower records and put them out of the reach of anyone who didn't have mega bucks, then I could see some people getting heart burn.

We have the big boys vs back yard mechanic duels all the time, be it a factory effort vs Joe hotrodder or what ever. We all cheer on the little guy and hope he snookers the big money, but we still have to respect the willingness to put it on the line and go for the big prize.

I wish him well, and like the previous poster, I remember very fondly reading every detail I could find about the Spirit of American and the other thrust cars that were trading records, or Mickey Thompson and the Summers Brothers going after the wheel driven record.

It's good for the sport, and I welcome his attempt.

Larry

Offline Constructive

• New folks
Fossett go home
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2006, 10:12:09 PM »
?Fossett go home!? posted 10-23-06

I guess some people don't hesitate to speak their minds because they have nothing to lose.  After reading your pathetic tirade I feel obligated attempt to put some information in your head.  It might be easier if you consider removing your foot first.  

Flyboy says, ?Fossett go home!?  Moreover he says never met the man, but I can?t stand the guy and ?If he lives in England, I wish he would stay over there.?  And you finally ask, ?How do you guys across the ocean feel about your man??

Flyboy, if what you don't know can't hurt you, you must be invulnerable.  For your information, Steve Fossett does not live in England and his home is here.  He was born in Jackson, Tennessee, grew up Garden Grove, California, and was an Eagle Scout at 13, graduated from Stanford University, MBA from Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri.  Steve now divides his time between Colorado and California.  

You also wanted to know, ?Is this guy penis challenged??  If you can get your thoughts off of Mr. Fossett penis for a moment (Is that why you?re called flyboy?) and use the big head for a change you might learn something, but then again this might be a stretch.  

Since you open your head without putting anything in it first, and you asked the question, ?? has he ever done anything physical??  Again, are you always this stupid or are you making a special effort?  Here is some information about Steve that might be of help to you.        

Steve swam the English Channel (21 mi) after failing three times.  Finally, on the 4th try, he swam the 21 miles in one of the slowest-ever times of 22 hours and 15 minutes and was then promptly hospitalized for hypothermia. He also finished the 2.4 mile (3.86 kilometer) swim (across Kailua-Kona Bay), followed by a 112 mile (180.2 kilometer) bike ride (from Keauhou to Hawi and back), and a 26.2 mile (42.2 kilometer) marathon along the coast of the Big Island (from Keauhou to Keahole Point to Kailua-Kona). He attempted the 100-mile Canadian Ski Marathon and couldn't make it -- four times, but eventually completed it.  There was also the Iron man Triathlon in Hawaii (he finished the 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride, and 26.2-mile run in 15 hours 53 minutes and 10 seconds.  

Steve has climbed the highest peak on 6 of the 7 continents.  He started rock climbing with the Sierra Club at the age of 11. He went to Europe to climb the Matterhorn, and then nearly died on the Eiger, sliding several hundred feet down a glacier.  The only peak to have eluded him and the only major challenge from which he has ever fumed back is Mount Everest In 1992, he then returned to Mount Everest, but his lungs wouldn't cooperate with the high altitude. "I know my limitations," he says. "Everest is not worth my life."

The Iditarod, a 1,161-mile trek across Alaska took two tries.  On the second attempt, the conditions were unusually severe: 40 below and blowing snow. Steve?s new team also tried to desert him. Fossett knew what to do. He got down on all fours and bit his lead dog, Gus, on the ear. "Dogs understand a dogfight."  Gus and the rest of the team pulled the sled to the finish line in 14 days and 12 hours, which was good for 47th place.

Flyboy, Is that physical enough for you?

You further drivel, ?And how about that the lone sailor that makes it around the world on his little boat.  These are heroes, people I can admire

Steve Fossett is also the most successful Speed Sailor in the history of Sailing. His 2004 Round the World Record of 58 days 9 hours and 2001 Trans Atlantic Record of 4 days 17 hours were dramatic improvements over the previous records.  Steve also spent six days alone, solo in a balloon named Solo Spirit, riding the winds across the world at altitudes between 18,000 and 28,500 feet at night, the temperature in his capsule dipped to 15 degrees, it was a no-frills flying machine. The gondola, an un-pressurized capsule was 7? long, 5-1/2' wide, and 5-1/2' high. It was un-pressurized, and he needed to breathe from liquid oxygen cylinders most of the flight. His diet was military-style MREs, warmed by chemical heating pouches. The capsule had a bed a bench with a sleeping bag, with a bbucket for a toilet. In total Steve has set 23 sailing records (13 still standing) as well as eight distance records - including his 2001 transatlantic record of four days and 17 hours.

Flyboy, was Steve?s 7? x 5? little boat that made it around the world solo in 58 days something you might admire? .?  I suspect you were the first one born without a tail in your family and some one left your cage open, so I?m not too sure what you might admire.

And you continue to drool, ??I admire the guy that doesn?t have much money? build an airplane he can race at Reno

Steve, who unfortunately has made the money by earning it, is one of the top private jet pilots in the United States; Steve's achievements include the records for non-supersonic airplanes for U.S. Transcontinental (2h 56m - 726.83 mph) Australia Transcontinental (705.06 mph) and Round the World Westbound (500.56 mph). In gliders Steve achieved the first 1500 Kilometer Triangle flight and the first 2000 Kilometer Out-and-Return flight. In the last 3 years he has set 10 of the 21 Glider Open World Records. He holds records for U.S. Transcontinental, Australia Transcontinental, and the fastest flight ever in a non-supersonic airplane as well as having set 10 out of the 21 glider open records.  These include a Straight Line Distance record of 2,193 km, the Longest Triangle at 1,509 km and the Longest Out and Return with 2,002 km. Steve also took part in an unusual non-record related activity by recreating the first transatlantic flight flown by Alcock and Brown, flying in a replica of the 1919 Vickers Vimmy aircraft from St Johns, Canada to Ireland.  After undertaking a series of tests, medical examinations and flight training Steve became one of only 17 qualified Zeppelin captains in the world.  In 2004 Steve set the Absolute Speed Record for airships at 115 km per hour (which was a 24% increase on the previous record of 92 km)  Steve also holds Round the World records for medium weight airplanes (in both directions) as well as the U.S. transcontinental records for non-supersonic airplanes and unlimited turboprops. Steve achieved the First Solo non-stop Round the World airplane flight, a follow-up 'Ultimate Flight' of over 41,000 kms, thus setting the record for the longest non-stop flight in aviation history plus a further world record RTW flight for absolute closed circuit distance in the GlobalFlyer in 67 hours and 23,000 miles. These were three extraordinary airplane flights.  

Flyboy, in 1998, Fossett visited the Reno area and he lifted off in a small helium-gas balloon at Stead for a short flight. I don?t think Steve has raced at Reno, but I sure he could handle it.  Since you bought your motorcycle, it not all right for Steve and others to buy motor vehicles?  

Flyboy, you finally brag that, ?I just bought a motorcycle and set a record myself.  Am I just as bad as Fossett?  

If you call showing your ignorance bad, Okay, you win the prize.  Steve Fossett may be new to land speed racing, but he has raced 200 mph+ international endurance sports cars at Daytona, Sebring and Le Mans in the 1990's.  It was a pleasure to meet Steve at the special FIA meet at Bonneville.   Unlike Flyboy, Steve is intelligent, unassuming, and gracious,

Steve now has the car originally designed and built by land speed record-holder Craig Breedlove and after modification intends record attempts scheduled next July through October.  "This is surely the most dramatic of all world records, the oldest and most famous record in world of motor sport," Fossett said, ?I am very, very excited by the opportunity to meet this challenge and I do not underestimate the challenges involved?.  Keeping this 9,000-pound vehicle with an after-burning J-79 turbojet developing 22,650 pounds of thrust from a USAF F-4 Phantom fighter-bomber with 45,000 horsepower and attempting to return the land speed record back to America is something that we should all applaud.  

Flyboy I'd like to leave you with a suggestion.  In the future, perhaps you should consider putting something in your brain before engaging your mouth and depositing waste.   If some day a real thought crosses your mind after its long and lonely journey that might be the time to try again

Constructive
Constructive

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
fossett
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2006, 10:24:52 PM »
Constructive
Right on, seems he is all mouth. :shock:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tom Simon

Fossett- Go Home!
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2006, 10:54:40 PM »
I had the pleasure of meeting Craig and his wife late last year at the Rio Vista Shop. We talked for a few hours, while walking around the SofA bare chassis. He did mention this potential deal, but spoke of a couple other possible futures for the car as well. I hope Craig stays on as a consultant, I'd love to see the record retaken by a USA team, and credit (for the car at least) go where it is due.

My opinion: after this project being stalled for so many years, and being so close to making a clean pass, I am glad to see someone picking up this beautiful peice of machinery and forging ahead.  I heard the numbers being bounced around, but it's not my place to share, but my guess is Fossett practically stole the thing, when you think about the huge investment Craig has in the car. I've worked around big science projects for 20 plus years, when you think of the man hours in engineering studies, development and construction it takes to start a project like this from scratch, Steve's team will be light-years ahead even if they tackle a moderate redesign.

Jealous? hell yea I am! I'd also like to be Joe Francis or Mark Cuban for a month...

Let's face it, we all race cars to stroke our own egos to some degree, why else would we do such a thing?

BTW, threads like this remind me of trying to appreciate art. In my mind the goal isn't so much to have you love it or hate it, it's to get the you to feel something. It seems to have done that

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Fossett- Go Home!
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2006, 01:56:28 AM »
I'd like to have dinner with the guy! hell I'll even buy him the best buffet in wendover. just imagine the stories this guys has! He can tell about his adventures with sherpas in mount Everest, and i can tell him how i assembled a cylinder head in the back of a bumpy van driving to Daytona. He can tell of rounding the cape horn in a sail boat, and i can tell him how i scooped a turd out of my jacuzzi that slipped out of my infant kids shorts. He can tell of fine dining with royalty, and i can tell how i broke 3 ribs when i fell down the stairs at the playboy party during Mardi gras.
were both living life... just on different levels.
British, American, Jamaican, I don't care who they are..... if anyone wants to get the 800mph brass ring i'll help just to be involved. (any one except a Frenchman or romero)!
yours in sport
kent

Offline AJR192

Fossett- Go Home!
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2006, 02:13:54 AM »
You forgot about buying him a lap dance at the eXposure club, Kent. Gotta admit, that is the funniest post I think I have ever read on this site. Thanks.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Fossett- Go Home!
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2006, 02:31:35 AM »
thanks man i'll try to keep it up
kent

Robin UK

Value vs Cost
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2006, 02:56:36 AM »
Pork Pie,

you are essentially saying the same thing as me. If you add up the notional value of all the products, goods and services provided by sponsors and supporters then it was indeed a big number. Maybe $18m - maybe more. Richard usually used a figure of around ?20m after the project. But since most of that was provided free of charge as part of sponsorship deals, then it needs to be considered seperately from all those parts and services that had to be paid for. The more you can persuade people to give for free, the less you need in terms of real cash. Whatever the value of all those f.o.c items, in real cash terms, the project spent ?2.8m over 6 years. Richard says so on page 298 of the Thrust book and I have stood alongside him many times during interviews and presentations when the same figure was quoted.

From a another veteran of Black Rock (and Jordan, Farnborough and Fontwell)

Robin

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Fossett- Go Home!
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2006, 01:38:56 PM »
And on side note FIA does not have license runs...

Jon, can you than tell me, why some years ago, during the World Final, with some FIA reocrd runs, one of the driver from the Terry Nish team drove FIA license runs????????????????????

The information, that he holds now a FIA license, was coming from a proper sources - if the FIA changed meanwhile the way to get a license - than, may the runs was therefore to show the FIA that he got the skill to get the license.

By the way, how he could otherwise prove that he can handle high speed, before he starts next year in July/August.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
fossett
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2006, 01:43:55 PM »
Pork Pie
I believe it was Mike Nish and he was driving the Jim Fueling streamliner.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Fossett- Go Home!
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2006, 01:44:06 PM »
Robin,

I know who you are - we meet at the Black Rock :D

With the cost of a so record attempt, to get a real number, you have to add also the free offered work/part/support, otherwise it cost only a handshake and a big thank you - for some people.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Fossett- Go Home!
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2006, 01:56:00 PM »
Craig, in the 60's was may be the guy with the big budget - but you have to see also the different to Art Arfons.
Arfons got the tire for free from Firestone, also they (and some smaller sponsors) paid the salt for the attempts.
And he was also still the owner of his car.
Craig was not the owner of his SoA, he got the rights to use the SoA's, after his successful runs, to do a promotion tour and to earn money with that - after this time he had to give the car back to the sponsor - for the Three Wheeler it was Shell. By the Sonic 1, when I remember right, it was Goodyear.
The same was with the Blue Flame, the team around Farnsworth/ Dausmann/Keller, build only the car - alright, at the beginning it was a little bit different - but at last the sponsor paid so much that they has to sign the contract that the sponsor was the owner. This was the reason, why the team never got a chance to fix the catalyser to get the car his real possible power for another attempt - the original idea was to go super sonic.....
Pork Pie

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
Re: Fossett go home
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2006, 05:53:30 PM »
Quote from: Constructive
?Fossett go home!? posted 10-23-06

Steve swam the English Channel (21 mi) after failing three times.  Finally, on the 4th try, he swam the 21 miles in one of the slowest-ever times of 22 hours and 15 minutes and was then promptly hospitalized for hypothermia. He also finished the 2.4 mile (3.86 kilometer) swim (across Kailua-Kona Bay), followed by a 112 mile (180.2 kilometer) bike ride (from Keauhou to Hawi and back), and a 26.2 mile (42.2 kilometer) marathon along the coast of the Big Island (from Keauhou to Keahole Point to Kailua-Kona). He attempted the 100-mile Canadian Ski Marathon and couldn't make it -- four times, but eventually completed it.  There was also the Iron man Triathlon in Hawaii (he finished the 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride, and 26.2-mile run in 15 hours 53 minutes and 10 seconds.  

The Iditarod, a 1,161-mile trek across Alaska took two tries.  

Flyboy, was Steve?s 7? x 5? little boat that made it around the world solo in 58 days something you might admire? .?  
Constructive

Constuctive-- Just the above accomplishments justify to me a real adventurer/athlete, one that I can admire. These were feats of strength, endurance, mind over matter and best of all-- something that any common man with with limited skills could attempt to accomplish on a limited budget. My hand goes out to Mr. Fossett. It doesn't matter to me that there were no records set-- just the fact that he finished each race is enough for me.

In my earlier post I refered Mr. Fossett as being penis challenged. That was very immature of me and I apologize to him and everyone on this site.  I had also not done my homework. He's an American, graduated from Stanford and was an Eagle Scout at the age of 13. He also has an MBA made his money in investment banking.

And as to the point of my frustation--  I would appreciate someone explaining to me why Mr. Fossett get's to wear a NASA pressured suit for his glider flights when no other civilian pilot can get one? I tried to get the use of one of those suits six years ago to attempt a FAI altitude record but NASA flately stated I had to work for NASA. And, if you don't get one of those suits, you have no chance of even attempting a record. So what's the little man to do? I don't know. It's very frustrating.

Constructive-- Could you please PM me and give me his address. I would like to discuss a LSR challenge. Thank you.
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210