Author Topic: Looking to get started with a 1995 Ford Thunderbird  (Read 10859 times)

Offline EatonRacing

• New folks
Looking to get started with a 1995 Ford Thunderbird
« on: November 16, 2012, 03:59:34 PM »
I'm looking to go to the salt flats and go racing for the first time, I have never been.  My family has history with building drag cars and we have an engine shop and engine dyno

Last year I moved my family from Arkansas to Texas and took a better paying job so that we could all have a better life.  Building a race car has always been a distant but unattainable goal of mine due to my poorly paying but rewarding career choice.  Things are turning around now and we are building a house and have a small bit of extra disposable income.  However, I won't bore you with any more of that.

The goal is to find a platform for racing that is budget friendly, but solid enough to eventually get to 200MPH (a personal goal).  I have been told that the 1988-1997 Ford Thunderbird was very aerodynamic, and that people have run them successfully on the flats before.  I noticed that they are also very cheap, can handle a V8, are a Ford, and rear wheel drive with a solid axle.  I found a 92 Cougar for $450 but when I went to look at it I discovered they had independent rear suspension, which I never knew. That was a deal breaker. I know I'll blow up that rear end and gear swaps would be very aggravating.  They also have a very sharp flat back window which I'm assuming is not a good thing.

I have spotted this car on craigslist near my area and since it is a V8 I figure that will be a great start.  The price is right and I'm going to go get it tomorrow. They say it will drive home. Is this a bad choice for a car?

We have another car in storage, it's a 1950 Ford Coupe, but it looks much less aero to me.  It would look cooler, and have the nostalgia factor, but going fast is really the goal. Browsing through the rule book as best I can tell this car would fall into the same class as some very aerodynamic cars from the 80's.  If I ever dreamed of going for a record I would not want to have already dropped a bunch of money in something that will not work.

I'm fishing for opinions and insight from anyone with experience in these matters.

Offline Tman

Re: Looking to get started with a 1995 Ford Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:07:56 PM »
Chris, by reading your profile I assume Ted is your dad? I am on another Yblock crew (Tim McMasters pickup) and know him and Kieth pretty well. Several of those Thunderbirds have done well over the years on the salt including Strodes which is currently being campaigned.

Look at the newest HRM for a mike Cook article that mentions his beatuifull blue Bird/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 04:10:29 PM by Tman »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 04:08:14 PM »
A couple of things to think about....

First, all of the model T-Bird in the years you are looking at had IRS I believe.

Second, do you want to run a Ford far a paticular reason (like them, to be different, etc)?

Third, look in the record book at the cars setting the records in the classes you might want to run. They may know something about aero your "friends" might not.

Forth, there are many subjects of this type on the forum. Do a bit of searching.

Lastly, remember to have fun in whatever you build
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 04:14:08 PM »
About as aerodynamic a Ford as you're likely to find.  Owned one for 6 years, and to be honest, if it had had the V8, I'd probably still own it.

For racing, yeah, probably ditch the IRS, but I wouldn't dismiss it entirely - it's a good design and has proven pretty reliable over the years.

What class you looking to run?

Welcome aboard.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 04:47:36 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 04:15:33 PM »
Also look at the Lincoln in the Build diaries that they adapted a QC (affects what classes you can run) to the IRS

And listen to Dynoroom!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 04:22:37 PM by Tman »

Offline EatonRacing

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 04:48:30 PM »
Chris, by reading your profile I assume Ted is your dad? I am on another Yblock crew (Tim McMasters pickup) and know him and Kieth pretty well. Several of those Thunderbirds have done well over the years on the salt including Strodes which is currently being campaigned.

Look at the newest HRM for a mike Cook article that mentions his beatuifull blue Bird/

Yes Ted Eaton is my father.  I'm not familiar with HRM.

I didn't realize that all these thunderchickens had IRS, I guess we will just have to work around it.

Dad always ran Ford so that's what I default to.  If there is some compelling reason to go with a Chevy I guess I would consider it, with a Ford engine just because.

As far as classes go, I have the 2012 rule book here to read but I don't have a good understanding of the classes.  The stock 4.6l Ford V8 would fall into the D class for engine as it was stock. As for the car class I think my options are Production Coupe /PRO, or Gas Coupe /GC

What is a QC?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 04:53:14 PM »

Yes Ted Eaton is my father.  I'm not familiar with HRM.

I didn't realize that all these thunderchickens had IRS, I guess we will just have to work around it.

Dad always ran Ford so that's what I default to.  If there is some compelling reason to go with a Chevy I guess I would consider it, with a Ford engine just because.

As far as classes go, I have the 2012 rule book here to read but I don't have a good understanding of the classes.  The stock 4.6l Ford V8 would fall into the D class for engine as it was stock. As for the car class I think my options are Production Coupe /PRO, or Gas Coupe /GC

What is a QC?

QC = Quick Change rear end

HRM = Hot Rod Magazine

YAN = you're a newbie!

:-D

You'll catch on - and again, welcome aboard!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 04:54:09 PM »
hrm = hot rod magazine
qc = quick change

have you been to a bonneville event before?  if not, go and check it out before you start building.  you'll learn a lot.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline EatonRacing

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 04:57:47 PM »
Never been to an event yet.  I'm shooting to go next August. I'm looking at the QC on that Lincoln, that doesn't look too bad. How much power do you think you can throw at those half shafts on the salt?  May-bey I"m making an issue out of nothing.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:02:12 PM by EatonRacing »

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 05:00:49 PM »
I'd go 9" and be done.  Cheap and strong.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Tman

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 05:01:13 PM »
Since Ted is your dad YOU HAVE to doing something Y Block powered!!!!!!!!!! Won't he write you outta the will otherwise? :-D

Like Nate said, it is best to go to the salt at least once before you start. I did not start my car until I basically had been there twice and am now working on my 4th trip, a newbie. I am just getting into the meat of my car project.

We can all throw out ideas but they usually will be more of a hindrance than if you got a good foundation built up. Go with your dad and help Keith and the Bones guys, hang out with our crew, whatever.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:11:16 PM by Tman »

Offline EatonRacing

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 06:03:34 PM »
edit: dumb question removed.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 06:18:09 PM by EatonRacing »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 06:21:23 PM »
The attainable records in the mid classes (B-C-D) of all coupes and sedans are most probably not attainable for anyone on a limited budget (Sorry, guys, that's a fact.)

So just make sure you build the car you like with an engine you like.  Set personal goals and go for it.  (A '49 Ford with a Y-Block in it would be a lot of fun!)

You don't have to set records to participate (I keep telling myself).

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Tman

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 06:21:54 PM »
edit: dumb question removed.

Naw, it wasn't a dumb question. You will be in the same boat as the rest of us running Early OHV V8s, competing against SBCs, SBFs, Nascar engines etc. We are chasing a 164MPH record in D/PP with a 62 Ford Unibody. You could stick that Yblock in lots of different cars and classes but you will be David vs Goliath. But, you have a good engine guy in your camp!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 06:42:24 PM »
Just some examples of HP vs aero/frontal area to make 215mph.

91 Cougar

RWHP needed to go 215mph: 650 (+/-) 15% (also factor about an additional 15-20% loss [over the 20% driveline loss] in HP at B-ville due to air density vs sea level)

=======================================================================
'91 T-Bird LX

CD:0.320
FA: 22.22
CDA: 7.11

RWHP needed to go 215mph: 500 (+/-) 15%.
===============================================
'93 Probe

CD: 0.310
FA: 20.62
CDA: 6.39

RWHP needed to go 215mph: 400 (+/-) 15%.

Just a small change in CD and FA can make a SIGNIFICANT different in required HP to achieve X speed.
I have seen much worse then the  t-bird. I have also seen better. Remember that a cheap primary investment in a car many result in much more money needed to accomplish a speed goal in the end.

Good luck,

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)