Author Topic: Official World of Speed 2012 topic  (Read 147878 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: Official World of Speed 2012 topic
« Reply #270 on: September 11, 2012, 05:40:10 PM »
I will never "knock" Glen or the work he has done or any of the rest of the volunteers of which I was one for many years. We have been spoiled by the info when everything went "right".

I am sorry that Glen didn't get the opportunity to say "I'm tired and need a break look to someone else" . Whether we like it or not; you all know the hand in the bucket of water senario.

I have no idea whether the outside lines in the pits are straight anymore I only know I haven't drilled them for 4 years. I don't know whether the engine pumps go out for re-cert either but they did when I worked with Dan.

Pehaps the way that it will be done will be better, I don't know. I will be glad to see Glen as he will be in the pits instead of a few hunderds yards away.

Some folks will always have problems in inspection, after all it's not done by machine but by people with different personalities. God knows I have been on both ends. My timing tags keep coming when I run so that change didn't hurt when I gave them up along with the certs..

Everyone will never be happy. I hope the weather is good for WF and for the Shoot Out......JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Tman

« Reply #271 on: September 11, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »
Well said JD. :cheers:

Offline DallasV

« Reply #272 on: September 11, 2012, 06:14:02 PM »
If there is an issue of downloading the data I sure hope everybody who has set a record keeps their timing sips. Would hate a record to be lost due to a computer glitch.

Kind of disapointed in that USFRA doesn't at least give copies of the run logs to Slim so he can post them here.  You have a person willing to do the work and don't take advantge of it seems silly to me.

I'm pretty sure it's not a downloading issue that would cause fear to keep your timing slip, though that is good practice anyway. my thought is USFRA like any other org. is tweaking it's structure and trying to go lean. Do more with less you know. When your running a meet with few volunteers and problems like rain, clock issues, crashes, etc....Thrashing to keep the folks at the meet happy may trump the need for pulling resources to keep those that are not at the meet up to date. We may not get all the info we want but between Slim, The Rat, and other e-media I'm getting a lot more info than I would have 10-15 years ago
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:23:30 PM by DallasV »
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Tman

« Reply #273 on: September 11, 2012, 06:30:29 PM »
Even 5 years ago Dallas!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #274 on: September 11, 2012, 07:06:49 PM »
  Sales,   I didn't intend to say that you had or meant to sound  demeaning or in any way negative towards our sport.  I just meant to remind everyone of what we are dealing with in a "all" volunteer sport..
  Yes, their is a "good old boy" network and personal anemosities carry over further than they should, but my intention was really meant to remind us all that without the help of our peer's, we would not have any choice as to which races we participate in.
  Sorry if I overstepped what your post's intention's were, I got caught up in carrying the thought to the next step...............   Bob (as usual, with foot in mouth).
                                       :roll: :cheers: :roll:
Bob Drury

Offline Heather w.

• New folks
« Reply #275 on: September 11, 2012, 09:48:19 PM »
Thank you slim your efforts keeping us all in the loop is much appreciated!
I'm sure there's a reason we couldn't get the logs and I hope the wright family is healing from the accendent I know Dan still runs the usfra website. I help with the usfra Facebook but I had to stay home and work. Hope to make it to world finals for another shot with the new race car got the motor figured out this week now to figure out the transmission and we will go fast lol

Offline Heather w.

• New folks
« Reply #276 on: September 11, 2012, 11:02:15 PM »
All of the logs are now availible except for today on the usfra site

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #277 on: September 11, 2012, 11:02:50 PM »
The CB radio was the only way to get information out for a lot of years.

Then the FM radio license got easier and the FM broadcast appeared.

At El Mirage the FM radio broadcast made it much easier to get information out to racers and spectators.

Ken Walkey did the announcing (The don't call it KWBS for nothing).
A number of people have done a great job of announcing since Ken retired. Ron Main convinced me to back up Bill Guzenski. It's a tough job.
The trick is you have to know the racers. I know a lot of them, but it sucks to watch someone you don't know head down the course and don't have much to say about it.

Now we have the internet broadcast.
So here is the pitch. The internet broadcast grabs the SCTA feeds. How about giving Glen a microphone and he can do announcing for the internet broadcast! :cheers:
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #278 on: September 11, 2012, 11:41:41 PM »
It's pretty evident we were lucky to get as much running as we did at WOS with the weather crashing all around us & the migrating lake not becoming too much of a problem.
I left yesterday when the rain rolled through & "4 mile marker George" was in impound. Did he get to back it up today?
  Sid.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #279 on: September 11, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
Three thumbs up, Dean.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #280 on: September 12, 2012, 12:39:30 AM »
So here is the pitch. The internet broadcast grabs the SCTA feeds. How about giving Glen a microphone and he can do announcing for the internet broadcast! :cheers:

Imagine if Glen wasn't sequestered in the box and was able to do interviews and interact with racers during down-time!  He and Max were doing some first rate webcasting last Sunday, and I think as an interviewer, Glen would absolutely rock.

That would also give Max the producer's hat and take some pressure off of him.

Additionally, with Glen on the mic, you would have a solid pitch to an advertiser for support.

Slim, Max, Glen - you three need to talk.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #281 on: September 12, 2012, 12:44:38 AM »

Imagine if Glen wasn't sequestered in the box and was able to do interviews and interact with racers during down-time!  He and Max were doing some first rate webcasting last Sunday, and I think as an interviewer, Glen would absolutely rock.

That would also give Max the producer's hat and take some pressure off of him.

Additionally, with Glen on the mic, you would have a solid pitch to an advertiser for support.

Slim, Max, Glen - you three need to talk.

What I was hinting at earlier! :evil: :cheers:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #282 on: September 12, 2012, 05:11:15 AM »
+1

Glen, if everyone has their way you're not going to be underemployed for long!!!  :evil: :-D :-D

Pete

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #283 on: September 12, 2012, 06:22:09 AM »
All of the logs are now availible except for today on the usfra site

Actually, although Sunday's records and Monday's down runs are now there, the big list of Sunday's down runs still isn't there (at 0420MDT Wednesday). 
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Texican

« Reply #284 on: September 12, 2012, 06:46:22 AM »

And, would Roy Creel come by and demand a 10% tribute to SCTA/BNI turning a profit at their event?