Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2022 - the base thread for the event  (Read 8045 times)

Offline 07R1LSR

Re: SpeedWeek 2022 - the base thread for the event
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2022, 02:37:53 PM »
If anyone needs to store anything until the next meet (fingers crossed ) I am in Boise Idaho only about 4.5 hrs from the salt. I have some room in garage and room along the side of my house (RV parking).  I was unable to race this year and I know it sucks hauling everything home if you intend to come back soon.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2022, 04:47:00 PM »
Well, that didn't turn out right, did it?   In one way, though, I'm okay with the cancellation.  A new, bigger, better, etc air conditioner was installed in the announcing trailer.  The sonuvagun didn't work as well as the much smaller old one had.   But - - no event, no sweaty afternoons.  Maybe the a/c was still on the break-in oil.

I've got a few pics and some video from today.  Most impressive of all was the catastrophe called "Bend in the Road".  Wait 'til you see.

I'm gonna shower off this morning's salt now.  Later- -
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2022, 10:33:49 PM »
A big shout out to all of the volunteers, who did their best in spite of the weather.
We enjoyed catching up with old friends and taking in the sights.
We'll start getting ready for next year.

Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline aircap

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2022, 12:19:33 AM »
Most impressive of all was the catastrophe called "Bend in the Road".  Wait 'til you see.

Was this part of it?

"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2022, 01:00:32 AM »
I hope someone posts photos from the bend and down towards roads end. Entertaining I presume
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2022, 08:35:50 PM »
I hope someone posts photos from the bend and down towards roads end. Entertaining I presume

Yes, like watching the boat ramp on a weekend....
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2022, 09:18:14 PM »
Looks to me like it is raining again.  I can not believe this weather pattern.  This is sad.   :-(
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2022, 05:41:46 PM »
The first 2 - delivering salt to Land's End - was from the 2014 Shootout.  The racetrack was okay but the access was a hassle.  The pic of Nancy and me and the trailer -- all three standing in water - is from WoS '06.  Also:  The photo of Nancy and me and Floating Mountain is from October '08 and the ucky weather pic says it's from November of 2009, but I've never been there in November, so what can I say?.

IMG_0347

IMG_0345

IMG_8706

I can't find the photos or the dates of the Shootout when we and the vehicles were all huddling in one of the hangars at the airfield, waiting for the rain to stop, but I was there.  And there was the WoS when the salt was too wet - but would probably dry out in time so we teched on the pavement approaching Land's End.  I don't remember that date.

No pics from the times we got a call (six calls, in fact) as we were in Kansas headed for Bville:  "Turn around and go home", they all said.  Another time we arrived at Land's End only to be greeted with the same "Turn around and go home."  That particular rainout is the one that convinced me to get my first cellphone.

And there was the time it rained just before SpeedWeek but we thought it'd dry out enough if we waited around for a few days.  When I think of that one I think of sitting around the patio at the motel and shooting the breeze with Fred Dannenfelzer and a bunch of other SCTA folks.  Just not the date.

In early October '04 I was out there on private time for a photo session.  There was enough dry salt to make the runs they wanted, but while the helicopter was flying around with the photographer hanging out of it -- the dude spotted standing water (between the mountains and the access road we use to get to the pits) and asked me to ride THROUGH THE STANDING SALTWATER so he could video it.  Yeah, I did it - - - but they were paying me well as "talent" so I could hardly refuse.  BTW, the bike wouldn't run the next day.  Many wiring connections had mysteriously turned green.

And then there was the famous year when everything flooded - so we moved the whole dang event - courses, equipment, and everything -- a mile or two to find and make a racecourse.  That was 2007, I believe.  And everybody agrees that we were skunked by rain in '14-'15.

There may well have been other times when the salt was too wet, and some of the events listed here might overlap.  I'm listing these to show that rainouts aren't all that uncommon.  All of these were since SpeedWeek '01.  That was our first visit to the salt.
 are dated Sept '09.  The second pair

PS  World Finals is cancelled by weather about half the time.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 06:48:11 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2022, 09:19:15 PM »
I remember teching on US-80 as it wound thru town.

Plus a World Finals when they told us they'd start the meet as soon as the wind died down.  It did while we were all standing there.  And then the rain started.  The bastards sent that real fast yellow 4WD Mitsubishi down in the rain and we thought those SOBs want to call the meet -- what a damned trick.  Then they sent 2 roadsters down and they almost drowned by the one.  Meet's over.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2022, 09:24:18 PM »
There ain't any odds.  You just play the hand you're dealt.

(It's traditional.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2022, 08:49:12 AM »
Sometimes the mountain actually floats!  :x :x :x
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2022, 09:29:33 AM »
That's a great picture Slim of you and Nancy and floating Mountain.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2022, 10:44:47 PM »
After the rain last week, looking at the camera, and the 14 day weather predictions, I've bailed out on WOS- cancelled my reservations and have not sent in my entry to WOS. I might have risked the trip if it was next door but it's too much $$$ to take the chance.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2022, 05:25:32 PM »
Well we didn't get to race this year... so how about memories from last year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLNl8hOzhBQ&t=348s
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline noboD