Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Health, Welfare, and Passings / Re: Ron Ayers passing
« Last post by Speed Limit 1000 on Today at 05:23:03 PM »
RIP Ron you will be missed but remembered as a great designer of the fastest cars in the world
World of Speed-specific stuff / Re: USFRA Test and Tune 2024
« Last post by gnomenator on Today at 04:57:25 PM »
Thank you again Monte for all you do. You are correct, people nowadays have no respect for themselves let alone other people's property. I wish BLM could close it off to that A-HOLE part of the public but we know that can't happen. Wish I lived closer, would love to help out. See you soon, thanks again!  :cheers:
« Last post by JR'S PAPA on Today at 04:34:25 PM »
You're a HERO, Monte!!!
« Last post by USFRAMONTE on Today at 04:11:51 PM »
I was out on the salt over the Memorial Day weekend. Spent three days grooming a track for the upcoming Test and Tune.
There is no standing water at this time. The salt is still a little damp but that made smoothing the surface go easier. I worked the mountain side of course #1. I was able to drag out to the 8.5 mile. The reason I did not go further is because I was alone and did not want to take any risks. I feel like we could probably go another mile further without running into trouble.
If Mother Nature cooperates and it continues to dry, I believe we will have a very good course. If you go to our Facebook page, there are some photos posted there.
Having said that.... social media has not done the salt flats any favors. More and more people are having campfires and staying out overnight. Lots and lots of cars spinning donuts and they always pick the middle of the courses to do it. The cars doing the damage all now have someone outside the vehicle taking a video of them doing their thing. More than a bit disheartening to see this all take place, it never used to be like  this. End of rant.
Build Diaries / Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Last post by ronnieroadster on Today at 02:25:04 PM »
Were you able to determine fuel economy on the drive to the show?
Health, Welfare, and Passings / Re: Ron Ayers passing
« Last post by sabat on Today at 11:56:12 AM »
Rest in peace Mr. Ayers.

Interesting personal notes on the Thrust SSC team page.

https://www.thrustssc.com/thrustssc/Team/Ron_Ayers.html

Dean
Build Diaries / Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Last post by Mike Brown on Today at 10:18:42 AM »
I replaced the coil springs on the rear of the car with the original rubber springs.  When doing calculations, I noticed that the compressed height of the rubber springs was shorter than it should have been for the weight.  My best estimate is that the original spring perches were too small which prevented all of the rubber spring from being utilized.  So, when I reinstalled the rubber springs I added 4" diameter 1/4" thick aluminum plates to the perches.  The compressed height was then much closer to the calculations.  It will be back to the 1/4 mile for test & tune to see how these changes affect performance. 

Of note I did drive the car for a car show a short distance at slow speeds and the wheel speed sensors and calculations worked spot on. 
Health, Welfare, and Passings / Ron Ayers passing
« Last post by PorkPie on Today at 08:04:00 AM »
Ron Ayers, he was responsible for the aerodynamic of the Thrust SSC - still the ouright record holder - and Bloodhound

passed, age 92.

He was a real character and very good friend of mine.

a couple years ago, when the SRC had his yearly gathering in Coventry, Ron and John Ackroyd, designer of the Thrust II,
had a podium discussion about "how to design a record breaker".....well....it was hilarous.....they had totally different opinions but respect each other....

this free spirit thinking that everyone has the right to have a own opinion was very important for him...

and he had never a problem to ask other for their opinion...

a very human thinking man.

Ron, we had so much fun during the Thrust SSC and Bloodhound time....I will miss that...

RIP my friend
THE place for (what you think is) funny stuff. / Re: Stupid joke FRIDAY
« Last post by floydjer on Today at 07:49:35 AM »
Guy orders a shot of vodka and tells the bar keep that he has been so stressed that he has started that "Chinese thing with the needles" ..Bartender asks .."Acupuncture"?...Guy says "No...Heroin" :cheers:
For Sale by Private Parties / Re: 53 Studebaker
« Last post by aircap on Today at 12:30:29 AM »
Um.... photos?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10