Author Topic: Tire blowout @ 200MPH  (Read 5984 times)

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
Tire blowout @ 200MPH
« on: October 08, 2007, 10:35:52 AM »
WOW!! Great pics of my tire blow and spin on landracing photo gallery. I was just approaching the 4 with the tach pulling through 6600 rpm which would have put us around 204 mph when the tire blew.This experience brings to mind a few recent posts that I would like to address.
Seat time: this was my 6th pass in a new car and my 8th pass at b-ville. Having more seat time is a great advantage but I also believe that knowing your car inside and out, common sense , and natrual driving instinct are equaly important.
Glen, your "text book" spin and chute compliment means alot to me, thank you.
The Coddingtons: They were personable as can be to Celia and I and even offered us tires. Thanks for being just really nice group!!
Superstitions: When we got back to the pits after the spin,I was looking for a fresh pair of fruit of the loom's and found an old bag of peanuts in my truck.
Tires: We were running Moroso 29" front runners on the rear. We had just added 550
lbs to the rear of the car and believe the 2 ply load rating wasn't strong enough. Lee Kennedy also commented that Moroso's have not faired well in the past at b-ville. We will be looking for a stronger ply tire.
Troy, it was nice to meet you and your parents,like all of the land racers we have meet, you are good people.
Whoever took the pics of the spin I would gladly pay for a cd copy of the 16 frames.
Thanks,Brian
arvsc@sbcglobal.net

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 06:04:20 PM by thundersalt »
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

bugman5

Re: Tire blowout @ 200MPH
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 10:18:37 PM »
I've looked @ the pic's, Really like the one that looks like you had a real grip on the wheel. Car looks great. Wish I knew of a tire to recommend. Have many questions on the cgc class, which aren't real clear in the "BOOK".  But that is more due to being a newbie. Will be back.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 12:03:32 AM »
Joe Law went over 300 with shaved Moroso front runners on the front of his lakester .

Offline fast58

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 12:28:37 AM »
Moroso makes a 2 ply and a 4 ply. We use the 4 ply and have had no problems.

Offline GH

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 09:18:30 AM »
Great looking car, I really liked it, we were pitted about 3 or 4 spaces from you, I got so busy with my problems I never made it anywhere to visit. I run Goodyear Land Speed tires all around.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 10:46:45 AM »
We've got these new tires called 2222 by Goodyear, they have worked great for us in the past.  Oh, yeah there 10 inch fatties, look out.  Thanks Brian.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 12:21:29 PM »
Joe may have used standard Moroso tires at one time but all his fast runs were on M & H special tires he had made. They may have used the same molds but are not the same tires. Krause sold them for a time and you could get them by asking for the "Joe Law" tire. Chauvin Emmons could not keep GoodYears on the front of his old roadster over 280 and went to these JL M & H tires and stopped having problems. Too bad they are not available today for the fronts of these fast vehicles....Good Luck.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

bugman5

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 10:11:07 PM »
Hi. Me again,I thought that maybe you'd get a little more help on the tire deal. I know that I've done some research on the web on tires, ratings and have an idea on what I might use but there seems to be alot of questions on actual load ratings-- Weight of car? Total? Front or Rear? or axel? How do you know, does the actual side to side movement that I've seen on the salt figure in? Tread or width? I've heard a few (alot) of ways to look at it. I'm not to worried about dirt, it's the salt I'm not to sure about. Well I'm still going to read and ask questions and hope to find a tire I would want to run.  Later

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 10:20:22 PM »
Hi. Me again,I thought that maybe you'd get a little more help on the tire deal. I know that I've done some research on the web on tires, ratings and have an idea on what I might use but there seems to be alot of questions on actual load ratings-- Weight of car? Total? Front or Rear? or axel? How do you know, does the actual side to side movement that I've seen on the salt figure in? Tread or width? I've heard a few (alot) of ways to look at it. I'm not to worried about dirt, it's the salt I'm not to sure about. Well I'm still going to read and ask questions and hope to find a tire I would want to run.  Later

What about the salt that concerns you?

bugman5

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 10:30:50 PM »
Hey, texture,  I've rode sand, mud, dirt, rocks,water and blacktop. I can,t quite get a "common feel for salt yet I've been on it wet and dry. Maybe being a newbie shows. I really like the feel but am still trying to get a better feel (knowledge) of the difference.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 11:15:13 PM »
have you raced on it?

landracing

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 01:15:41 AM »
You really have to thank Clay Taylor, (who is on the forums), it all his photography of the action shots. He shoots superb shots, And if you find your car in them PM him, he has super high resolution photos and for a small donation to him, im sure he will send over the original shot...

Jon

bugman5

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 10:24:27 PM »
No, I haven't yet. I have been there a couple of times, tourist-spectater, then crew. Hope to be behind the wheel within a year or two. I prefer to be part of the crew that makes it happen. I really like most of the people and personality that is with the salt. Mystery? No, just good people wanting to push the envelope. Will hope to see and meet more of you soon. I know of those 2222 goodyears, what happened to the rims?

Offline jl222

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 11:39:18 PM »
Great driving job Brian! Tires into spin max,chute out super fast. thats why we like short lines.
Glad we were able to buy those 2222's from you. Keep at it you'll figure it out.

Nice meeting you & your wife.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 11:44:45 PM »
Bugman5 i have the rims and their for sale
JL222