Author Topic: engine classification breakdown  (Read 3511 times)

Offline 6265racer

• New folks
engine classification breakdown
« on: September 23, 2008, 10:14:14 AM »
As it relates to diesel classes, it seems to me that the engine classifications are currently far too broad in terms of both displacement and fuel system type.

I, for one, would like to see a greater number of engine displacement catagories and more importantly, a distinction between the older, distributor type fuel injection and the modern common-rail systems such as those used in the newer D-Max, PS and Dodge.

Tighter engine-displacement catagories combined with deliniation of injection type would result in greater participation in this segment of land speed racing. Most potential diesel truck racers, at least those with any sense at all, will shy away from making the investment of time and resourses because they recognize the vast cost differential of pitting the old against the new. In our case, while having a record would have been swell, the primary goal was to see how fast we could go with a close-to-stock 6.5L full-size Chevy and we are plenty happy with the results so far.  Certainly and has always been true, competition fosters innovation and so, Pat's performance forces us to reach deeper.  Still, it is a pretty steep curve.
Again, there would be a vastly greater population of the diesel truck classes if the regulations were configured to segregate the system types and it is my goal to find ways to encourage the changes necessary to bring more racers into the segment.  This is a very interesting portion of land speed racing as it relates so closely to the everyday pickup truck owner.

While displacement always plays a role, the more important of these factors, at least as they relate to the diesel classes,  is the fuel injection system.  As it stands today and with current regulations, our race truck as an example, with its rather limited, older style, distributor type diesel fuel injection system is plopped into the same class as Pat's D-Max 'bullet' with its vastly more advanced and therefore, more capable common rail system.

If the diesel powered vehicle is to acheive greater popularity in this form of racing, changes are in order and the changes I suggest ought to be fairly easily accomplished by a forward thinking rules and regulations group.

I invite  your comments, however, if you disagree, please remember that I am old and easily brought to tears.  Please be gentle.

Regards
Bill Heath

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: engine classification breakdown
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 10:31:07 AM »
Bill, all records are achieved with advancing technology.  More classes are not needed, we already have enough old technology protection in place for racers.   :|
Don't cry, just race harder.... 8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

McRat

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 10:32:47 AM »
Bill, it's not me you have to worry about.  DT class is an "engine-swap, minitruck-allowed class".  Someone who puts a max-effort engine into a minitruck makes us look silly.  It will take me 1377hp to catch the 700hp minitrucks.  I'm trying to shave that down to 1000hp, but it's not likely.  We are running in a "soft record" class, and someone with $80,000 is going to push this number up to about 250mph, which is whole different planet.  The AA record truck is 1200ci and tilt body, so you know they are out there, or will be.

So I make up my own class.  I claim to have the fastest production diesel pickup, even if there is no class.  Kinda like the Fastest Guy to run with blue tennis shoes, but it works for me.

SCTA-BNI gives me a venue to race at, and I'm deeply appreciative.  Most the racers do not set records, they just like to race anyhow.  We were prepared to run "Time Only" and still throw what had on the table.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 10:36:29 AM by McRat »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 10:33:53 AM »
Ok, get out the Kleenex.

The total number of racers, ever, that have run the diesel class in any form is a small handful.

What's the incentive to add more classes? Can you identify anyone that is currently not racing that would race if the classes were changed?

The story has always been that if you can show up with three race cars then you can form a new class. But you have to have the three race cars first.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.