Author Topic: Bonneville 2-Club Motorcycle Minimums  (Read 33607 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Bonneville 2-Club Motorcycle Minimums
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 02:58:00 PM »
If you want to reflect some real speed in the hat selection, I would suggest propellers on top.
 Slim, you might have to explain it again, even if you are just talking to yourself.
 And Bald, you are going to have to explain it to your rider yourself.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2005, 03:58:00 PM »
As can be seen, setting motorcycle minimums is no easy task - The requirements will never satisfy every racer. That is a fact. At this time most everyone is aware that Bonneville 200 MPH Club Records and Minimums are NOT the same as BNI/SCTA. BNI/SCTA certify and log records for their own purposes. The B'ville 200MPH Club takes their certification and applies it to its own standards. In the last couple of years it was proposed by the Motorcyle racers themselves that an attempt be made to establish MEANINGFUL speeds for the hundreds of classes of bikes. This process was started last year and completed for this season.  These minimums are posted for all to see and review 5 months prior to the August race. There may be a couple of speeds that need to be adjusted thats true, but by posting these numbers early we have that opportunity. Would it have been better to wait til Speed Week? I don't think anyone would want that. Scott Guthrie has "volunteered" to head up the Motorcyle Committee for the Two Club. You would not believe the time and effort he has put into this process along with Larry Forstall and the Amos. There were and are disagreements on a very few speeds but it was felt that getting them into the racers hands would help iron out the kinks. Be advised that poor Dan Warner is not the man to harass with this issue - leave him alone - please. As those of you that read all the postings will note Dan has caught hell for setting speeds too LOW for Modified Roadsters and now we are catching it for setting speeds too HIGH. Can't seem to win either way. Keep in mind that no one person sets the speed - it is a group process. The incidents mentioned in Jack Dolands 10:46 message are the exact reason that these minimums are posted well in advance. If anyone feels they have a legitimate change they would like made please send it to my attention at the Bonneville 200 MPH Club office. Each letter should show justification for change and WILL be reviewed. Again the Club is NOT out to screw anyone. K.H.'s posting of March 29 @ 9:52 and Jack Doland seem like they have a pretty good handle on it. Sorry for taking up so much space. Pat Kinne, Bonneville 200MPH Club.

<small>[ March 29, 2005, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: SALT201 ]</small>

dwarner

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 04:18:00 PM »
And there you have it - thanks Pat.

The 200 MPH club minimums do not apply to any SCTA/BNI 'open' record. If a record is shown as open then two consecutive runs will net the record.  2 Club policy is that if they do not list a class any consecutive two run average over 200  will get you membership.

There is a notation in more than one place in the rulebook which informs that 2 club records and minimums do not necessarliy match SCTA/BNI records.

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005, 04:45:00 PM »
when/if we make our 2-ton pass, we will celebrate.
 enough said.
 if/when we make 2-ton, stop by for a glass of bubbly. we know the importance of the timing slip.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2005, 06:16:00 PM »
I made the motion at the SCTA board to remove the minimus at Bonneville because they served no purpose other than politica and were a lot of work that was not done very well.
  Not everybody was satisfied.
 El Mirage is a pionts system that has other requirements.
 You have seen how it falls to politics also.
 A member in the 2 club that was done under a minimun set by them was beaten for a record by Slim and he was denied membership. I haven't seen that explained yet.
 The entry I mentioned that said the nasty, was never upset by any of the speeds that would be required, but rather by the method used and the consideration given to the mark. He speant a lot of effort towards it and the mark seemed to be decided over a beer.
 We all agree that potential remains in the class, but that's racing.
 20 years ago the speeds seemed pretty darn fast and now you can buy a bike from the showroom and beat them.. Does that make their performance any less? Should they give back the red hat ?
 If space at the dinner is the reason, then perhaps it should be limited to honorable current record holders.
 OH boy, that would start a war.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline RP

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2005, 08:35:00 AM »
Thanks for providing more details on the record setting procedures for motorcycles. I should have looked in the rule book first. I was not aware of the 200 MPH club minimums, mainly due to the fact that getting our rider a RED HAT is a team goal that is a couple years down the road.

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2005, 11:50:00 AM »
As noted in my above post, Scott Guthrie has been putting in a great deal of time and effort with the Bonneville 200 MPH Club's efforts on behalf of the Bonneville motorcycle racing group. Scott will be heading up the Motorcycle Committee along with Larry Forstall and Jason McVicar. As the co-ordinating member of the Board they will be keeping me in the loop to report to our Club President Roy Fjastad and the rest of the Board as to their needs to best serve the long term interests of the B'ville 200 MPH Club. Pat Kinne

High Gear

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2005, 04:31:00 PM »
Scott,

We did raise the record from 168 to 210 last year and did recieve a Red Hat. However our record is not on the 200 club minimum list and the minimun is set at 230?

#1150 Team Arrow Racing - going for the 230 fuel record this year.

Thanks

Offline joea

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2005, 10:16:00 PM »
Gary,  team Arrow "Rocks"

High Gear

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2005, 07:25:00 AM »
Scott & Joe,

Thank you very much on behalf of Team Arrow Racing. A whole lot of folks work hard all year, year after year and they deserve all the credit.

231 or bust.

Gary

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2005, 01:23:00 PM »
"The 200 club is crowded":

As a member of the 2 Club and newly elected officer this could not be farther from the truth. All those who meet the requirements are congratulated and welcomed with open arms.

Some classes have no minimums with the exception of the 200 and many "in the know" said they would never reach that speed and now the records are over 220. Technology always changes. M/C's and vintage motors proved that. How would you like to be the guy trying to run a blown fuel flathead streamliner at 300+ to get in the 2 club?

Good Luck to all and never give up on your dream. J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2005, 06:46:00 PM »
my point though is quite simple:

The 200mph club was the 200mph club.
 It was not the 220mph club.
 It was not the 243mph club.

It changed when innovation overcame the inability to acheive it. The acheivement is still admirable.

Offline Snail

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2005, 10:42:00 AM »
Something that interests me is the tech. standpoint difference between the cars and bikes.  The cars golden age seemed to be in the sixties with the muscle cars.  Now is the time for bikes, we're riding a wave crest of tech. that is producing more potent machines each year.

The potential for getting a record from a bike 'out of the box' is real, I managed to eke out a record with a basically stock bike, my first year.

This may have dissapointed some people, but it sure inspired me.  Two years later and I'm so deeply hooked in LSR I'd sell my soul for a few more horsepower.

I'm just happy to be here, and I appreciate all the work and effort that goes into making it all work.  The red hat is an inspiration, but just going faster and faster and faster.......is what drives me.

Offline yamagamma

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »
I totally agree with Jack D, 200 club minimums should be dropped and leave entry into the Two Club to actual racing, not to some discretionary decision by an Ad Hoc committee. Go 200 on a bike ? get a hat, keep it simple and keep it fair.

Minimums serve one main purpose, to restrict entry to ?the club?. Minimums can become subject to egotistical ideologies that will prevent many competitors of ever achieving their epiphany, and that truly is a sad comment for our sport. You had your crack at 200 and made it, allow others the same opportunity ??under the same rules!

The two club was originally founded with the honorable goal of recognizing and honoring a racers accomplishments, it is important that the club does not lose sight of this altruistic intent. There is a need to recognize that Minimums will never ever be seen as fair by all and this feeds negativity and discontent.  This will not change. Period.

In my opinion the Two Club needs to move away from setting minimums, a policy that is both subjective and punitive. Go back to your roots guys, the 200 club is about recognition and it should be kept that way.  A better way of recognizing members who have concerns that ?it?s too easy to get into the club? would be to award Speed Pins for racers who exceed  higher goals. You could have a 220 pin, a 230 pin, a 240 pin 250 pin etc.  That way the really fast guys keep their bragging rights over the guys who just squeak into the club. Of course you would need a fairly large head size to accommodate all those pins, but I am sure that won?t be a problem. GRIN!
Never underestimate an old guy on a Yamaha!

High Gear

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2005, 02:37:00 PM »
Snail,

I am with you completely. My passion for LSR outweighs by a ton the things about it that give me grief. Those whom have not been to a Speed Week or participated in LSR have trouble getting it.

This whole thing has changed a lot in the 35 years I have been at it, but those changes just add to the whole aura of it.

The technological differences you refer to just make those old records look even better when compared to what we have to work with today. By rights, no old records should even be on the books if you just use technological comparisons alone.

However, as you know there are a bunch on the books, and that no one has even come close to some of them and maybe never will.

You earned the record you have and if you ever get a Red Hat you will have earned that too. Of that, I am sure.

Good Luck