Author Topic: Leathers History Question  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
Leathers History Question
« on: October 19, 2006, 12:24:50 PM »
Most people know about Rollie Free's historical ride back in 1948. My question is did others copy him after that? Didn't someone later have a big wipe-out on a run with hardly any clothes on and because of that incident the leathers rule was established? Who can fill me in? Thanks--
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Robin UK

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 12:49:47 PM »
That was Tommy Smith of Turlock on a Triumph Thunderbird in the early 50's. He came off at 130-140 and despite covering his skin with graphite grease (as if that would help) he ended up with skin grafts. Bobby Turner also adopted the same approach but managed to stay skin side up. Note sure if rules were changed then but imagine they must have been.

Robin

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 12:59:27 PM »
He's a member of this list.  See this post:

http://www.landracing.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=17283&highlight=#17283

I know a guy that has raced a Vincent at Bonneville, and he says that when he crashed and his upper leathers rolled up, that was the impetus to the rule change that you had to have either one piece leathers, or a zipper to join the jacket to the pants.

Offline tomsmith

I'm guilty
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 01:01:44 PM »
I have to admit that it was me that did the wipeout.  I think the leathers rule at Bonneville was due my mishap, and I regretted very much the inconvenience I caused to everyone.  There were a number of people that wore bathing suits and draped themselves over the rear fender before me.  Jack Dale (HD 45) for example in 1951.  Rich Richards and Blackie Bernal wore tights (or long red underwear).  I wore a bathing suit since my desert racing leathers made it awkward to lay down on the bike (I did bring them along).  Now that I'm 73, I believe in leathers, full face helmets and anything else that makes life safer.  To make me seem slightly more sane, I might mention that when I rode half mile flat track I removed my belt, rings and watch.  My boot laces were double tied and tucked into my boots to prevent snagging.  I still have my trusty Bonneville Clymer crash helmet, but my wife forgot where she put it.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Robin UK

I'm guilty
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 01:29:24 PM »
Wow Tom - even tho it was a long time ago, glad you're still able to smile (a bit) about it. Big question is - did it make you any faster?
 :)  :?:
Robin

Offline tomsmith

I'm not any faster
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 05:09:07 PM »
I didn't get any faster, but I did change to a gas Harley dragster instead of fuel to reduce the speed a bit.  It went about 150mph on a country road once and about 120mph in the quarter mile in 10.65 seconds; it was as fast as the fuel bike I formerly rode.  I never ran it at a speed trial, and quit racing in 1959.  I got interested in handling, and still try to learn something about it (now that it's too late).  Imperial College in London has done a lot of work on motorcycle stability.  Several professors there are bikers and do research for Ducati on the side, so they concentrate on road race handling on pavement.  A list of some of their publications is at:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/controlandpower/research/portfoliopartnership/projects/motorcycles/publications

After going back to college, I got into computers and essentially vanished from the motorcycle scene.  I keep telling myself I want to go back to Bonneville now that I'm retired.  I did visit in 1954 with a crop duster pilot friend and had an interesting long talk with Otto Crocker.  I also visited in 1973 with my mother, wife and 3 kids since none of them had ever been there.  The big hang up is that I need a bike and all its support equipment.    Maybe after I finish pouring money into my house.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline jimsig

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »
Does anybody know what happened to the huge picture of a motorcycle rider at speed on the Salt Flats that used to hang in the Western Cafe in Wendover?  That's one of my great memories of Speed Week.
And if anybody knows the story behind the picture, could you please post it?
Thanks.