Author Topic: 1st time to ride on the salt  (Read 3261 times)

Offline THR Larry

• New folks
1st time to ride on the salt
« on: May 13, 2007, 11:02:49 PM »

This September will be the first time we race our bike on the salt. The bike is a 1981 CB750K Honda. It is completly stock except for the four into one exhaust. One of our first goals to start with is to learn and experience racing on the salt. Then some day if all goes well we are shooting to get into the 130mph club. So with that said were looking for any advice we can get on what to expect on our first attempts. We would also like to here about other riders first time racing a bike on the salt.

Offline firemanjim

Re: 1st time to ride on the salt
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 11:34:33 PM »
Larry,which meet and what class are you going to run? Need to know which set of rules you will be under.
Get some Salt-Away or something similar to keep corrosion to a minimum. Bring lots of water,shade and tarps to work on.Make your reservations early.
Got any dirtbike experience--if so salt won't seem so odd?
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline THR Larry

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 01:09:00 AM »
hello Jim

We'll  be going to the world of speed in Sept. I'm not sure exactly what class we'll be in, but were not seeking any class records at this time. the bike is a 750 stock except for the pipes. So I think it'll be production frame and possibly production or modified production engine gas. We've actually been going to the world of speed since 2000 where we got involved in the electric bar stools, so I have some experience at bonneville as far as racing bar stools and wheather and such. I have also had about 7 years of riding and racing dirt bikes.  Local and AMA. RM400 was the last dirt bike. How ever that was 20 yeary ago. 

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 10:45:56 AM »
At WOS the best is the 130 Club,way cheaper and less requirements. Not sure if the leather requirement is the same as running in a record class--ie "all leather rule". The 130 Club rules are on the USFRA website---  http://www.saltflats.com/I30%20Club.html
If you run in record class be sure to get a rulebook and go over it and the bike from top to bottom--several times.
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 01:22:16 AM »
At WOS the best is the 130 Club,way cheaper and less requirements. Not sure if the leather requirement is the same as running in a record class--ie "all leather rule".
Leather! Hell, they don't even require a jacket!
The driver must wear a Snell 2000 or newer Snell approved, full-face helmet, long sleeve shirt or jacket, long pants and closed shoes.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 03:07:19 AM »
At WOS the best is the 130 Club,way cheaper and less requirements. Not sure if the leather requirement is the same as running in a record class--ie "all leather rule".
Leather! Hell, they don't even require a jacket!
The driver must wear a Snell 2000 or newer Snell approved, full-face helmet, long sleeve shirt or jacket, long pants and closed shoes.

The rule you re repeating lists the clothing requirements for a DRIVER, we are speaking here of a RIDER.
While all the cows are smarter than the person that authored the "All Cow" rule, the USFRA won't let you just wear a long sleeved shirt while riding a bike in any competition. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 10:24:33 AM »
these guys are right (excepting dean)-  go with the 130 club. Heres a link to the rules:
http://www.saltflats.com/I30%20Club.html

saltflats.com has lots of good info. 

They require full "leathers -  either 1 piece of zip together".  there is no mention of all cow.  But if you think you might be expanding into a hobby -  and you need a set of leathers -  might as well make it all leather so you would be legal by SCTA rules.

We will be there running 130 club, 150 club and some class runs with 2 different cars and a little tiny motorcycle -  so keep an eye out for us.  I can help you out if you have questions or logistics help.

I can't imagine that 750 not putting you into the 130 club.

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 12:47:59 PM »
You would be suprised at what it takes to get a bike in the 130 Club. The year our bike group was running it there were more than a few bikes and cars not getting in. 4500' of elevation,poor traction, and just a mile to get up to speed.But definitley go for it.
I have had good luck shopping for leathers on eBay and Craigs List.

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 09:54:40 PM »
I know how tough it is to get into 130 with a car.  100 - 150 cars or so show up each year -  about 95% of em go home disappointed -  and dismayed -  they were sure their car could make 130 - easily!

We have been lucky -  started with a good platform -  so far we have 7 johanssons in the 130 club - 3 generations -  ands several family friends as well.  Now we have started populating the 150 club.

I don't know nearly as much about bikes -  i know it seemed like a higher percentage of bikes make it - as compared to cars.  Seems like the Jap Bikes make it pretty easily (at least the crotch rockets)  and the Nortons seem to do well also.

I'll tell you who really struggles -  and more times than not, go home with their ego smashed and their testes crushed -  that would be the Harley Guys!

I'm dumb enough to try and make it with a 350 cc bike this year -  that ought to be a hoot!

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca