Author Topic: Speedweek 2010  (Read 302430 times)

Offline mkilger

Re: Speedweek 2010
« Reply #345 on: August 14, 2010, 06:25:55 PM »
 :cry:  no updates, I know its almost beer time at Bonneville  :cheers:

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #346 on: August 14, 2010, 06:28:17 PM »
Joe's bike looks mostly the same as last year except now he is the in the 1350cc class vs 1000cc last year. So there must have been a motor change.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Cole222

• Recluse Holster
« Reply #347 on: August 14, 2010, 06:42:21 PM »
Joe's bike looks mostly the same as last year - Don

Looks like he is running a Goodyear rear tire? It will be interesting to learn what the 200+ bikes are wearing.
"Form and function are the opposite sides of the same coin." R Reagan

Offline mkilger

« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2010, 06:59:17 PM »
I give up. :cheers:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #349 on: August 14, 2010, 07:25:27 PM »
Mike,

While we are having some down time.  :evil:  If you need some help in November at El Mirage let me know.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #350 on: August 14, 2010, 07:42:39 PM »
thanks tom,  getting some stuff done, chutes are mounted. intercooler tank next.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #351 on: August 14, 2010, 08:06:11 PM »
Here's a bit of what has happened today.  First of all -- Steve Chappell (did I get that right Papi?) shows the brand-new Michelin slick that has ONE run on it on his production 1650 ZX14 Kawasaki:

I thought you'd like to see that right away.  He ran a 190.9, and remember -- it's a production bike (therefore a somewhat-limited amount of power).  But the salt is pretty good and dry - witness this shot of a car going next to us as we drove in the access road.  Photo taken at about 35 mph:

I eventually made it to the start line and took a batch of photos of who's there.  I won't bother adding comments to most of them, but maybe I'll remember a bit of information.

BY THE WAY:  Dan Warner will get a list of today's qualifiers to me when he gets back to the motel later, so I'll get those posted either tonight or first thing in the morning.  I see quite a few vehicles in impound - take that for what it's worth.  You'll get the list as soon as I do.

Okay -- long course start line:

The Speed Demon ran in the mid-200s on a test and tune run.

More once I get them loaded.  It's going slow this evening - bear with me and the internet, hey?

Here's Pork Pie at work:

Honda production 1000cc bike being warmed:

Billy Showmaker's Team Fkawi.  Here's the rear of the bike - so you can see the ballast, just for the sake of it.  It's a turbo naked 'Busa, by the way.  He ran a 192 this morning - I left before hearing his speed on this run.

Billy has Bill Warner crewing for him, and here's Nancy allowing Bill to get up close:

Finally in this group of five - the Volk family car, #59:

I'll go get another bunch.  Be right back.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 08:14:57 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Livin1072

« Reply #352 on: August 14, 2010, 08:12:26 PM »
Thanks for the updates SSS and RTR  :cheers:

Team SGR Mr Turbo Racing
259.9 mph Texas '09 / 264.3 mph Maxton '10 / 265.1 mph Loring '09

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #353 on: August 14, 2010, 08:27:21 PM »
More -

Here's one so you can see that the HANS is being observed:

Mike Cook's car:

MacDonald and Pitts:

Again, I don't have results.  You'll need to see the SCTA website (www.scta-bni.org) for them.  I'll have record qualifiers for you as soon as I get them.  I'm going to take a break now -- be back soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #354 on: August 14, 2010, 08:37:13 PM »
John and Hooley,  good luck on the clutch repairs..  Hope you run,  wish I was there to get a pic of our cars together on the salt.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #355 on: August 14, 2010, 08:51:52 PM »
Some speeds that I know of:  fast Freddie did a tune up pass and only went to the 1 1/2 yes they now have a timing light at the mile, and he went 251 at the 2.  This is with the D motor.  :-o. McDonald and Pitts went 283 in the middle mile and slowed in the last.  Blowfish has some engine issues at the line and last time I looked(5 min ago) there was an engine host hooked up.  They looked to busy to bother.  Gary Hart has had some tech issues and hurt a tow bar on the car and some front end damage.  That's all I know off the top of my head.  We will get in line morning. :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #356 on: August 14, 2010, 09:38:07 PM »
Thanks, Troy.  It was good to see you in the tech line.  All right, here's the last batch of photos for today (from me, at least.  Ray is probably working on editing his work - he'll post later, or he'll hand them off in a thumbdrive tomorrow morning and I'll get 'em up here.

First of all -- even though it looks dry just off the access road -- it isn't.  Need proof?

I got lucky with this shot -- starting up and running kinda rich and a nice bit of smoke to prove that the motor's running:

Shane San Miguel was in that goofy video with me last World Finals (he got most of the camera time).  He's got his parentys with him - their first visit to the salt.  He's still riding a production 'Busa:

Here are a few random shots from the start line.

Gary Hart and Mike (?) Collison's Buick:

P/P 1650 Kawasaki ZX14.  This bike has run some high 170s today.  By the way -- this shot was taken around a quarter 'til 4 on the first day of racing at the Speedweek with the highest registration ever.  It was to be his FOURTH run of the day.  In fact, when we were driving out of the race area this afternoon the tower was calling out to racers that there was no waiting at the long course and the combination course.  Not bad, this new course system, is it?

Looks comfortable, hey?  The next shot after this one is the full photo of this belly tank lakester - but here's the driver, all buttoned in, looking cool and relaxed.  By the way, it was about 82F and gentle (10 mph) breezes from the northwest (mountains to freeway):

Finally, the Viau (pronounced view) Boys car, from about 30 miles away from where Nancy and I live.  It's the only other entry from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan:

Last thing -- here's the address of the Photobucket album I'm running.  Help yourselves, and I'll be back here tomorrow with those impound vehicles and their speeds.

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii147/SeldomSeenSlim/Speedweek%202010/
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #357 on: August 14, 2010, 10:00:08 PM »
Looks like that '35 Ford shoulda had a tow bar instead of a strap!  Ouch!   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline tricktom1

« Reply #358 on: August 14, 2010, 10:37:45 PM »
Has Joe Amo or Richard Assen made any good runs? Ant pictures of Richard's pretty red bike?
How are those Good Year rear tires working?

Jason McVicar racing?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:43:57 PM by tricktom1 »
TexasMile 261.5 MPH
http://www.houstonmile.com/

Offline k.h.

« Reply #359 on: August 14, 2010, 11:03:42 PM »
Great photos and commentary!  Carry on.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut