Author Topic: history lessons  (Read 1611 times)

Offline AJR192

history lessons
« on: September 08, 2008, 11:02:26 PM »
Hopefully, this can be a neat thread. It would be awesome to hear people's stories or biographies of their first trips to the salt/lakes, the cars they drove, pictures, years etc. Does not need to be a technical breakdown of the cars/bikes. Just fun stories and some individual history of why and when they decided to go land speed racing.

landracing

Re: history lessons
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 12:09:56 AM »
My wife forced me to goto Bonneville in 1992, she forced me to build the very best website on landspeed racing,  she also forced me to build this stupid 600cc Turbo motorcycle, she also forced me to spend gobs of her money and recently she forced me to buy this ridiculous 23' streamliner and she lastly is forcing me to let her drive....

I just can't win....

JonAmo
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:11:48 AM by landracing »

Blue

Re: history lessons
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 04:08:07 AM »
I met Breedlove at a semiconductor equipment conference in 1998 when he had sponsorship from Cannon (lithography equipment).  He had the Sonic 2 on display and the video of Sonic Arrow in the background.  I was the only one to ask him why he had an LR-11 powered vehicle on display and a J-79 powered vehicle in the video.

He was (and still is) an interesting guy.  Absolutely calm to the point of being dead.  You get the impression talking to him that he wakes up around 500 mph and not before.

I grew up knowing about the Blue Flame, but everything else before that was too early for me.  Thrust 2 never made my radar screen, but Thrust SSC and Sonic Arrow did.  I never thought I'd be lucky enough to head up one of those programs.  Lost our owner, c'est la vie.

Steve was an incredible individual.  Arguably the most focused person I have ever met.  Heck of a nice guy too.  Some on these boards didn't like him, but they never met him.  They should have.  The world is poorer for his loss.

I don't know what I'll do in LSR at this point.  I have a design that will easily be stable and safe beyond the current absolute record, but need to do other things to pay the bills.  I've talked to several wheel-driven people (300mph+) and it seems like fun looking at the wheel-driven record.  Lots of good people have asked my advice on their efforts, and I'm happy to help when I have the time (not much of that!).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:41:12 PM by Blue »