Author Topic: Impound Inspection  (Read 4588 times)

Offline RICK

Impound Inspection
« on: October 02, 2020, 07:55:50 AM »
I've never been lucky enough to get there, but just what all gets inspected?  I'm sure they're going to want to check my engine "size".  Is it Pumped or do I have to pull a head.
 Thanks ,  Rick.
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
Re: Impound Inspection
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 08:05:34 AM »
At a minimum, displacement and gas (if non fuel class). I had to pull my head because I had a 2 valve head w/offset sparkplug hole. If you have a 4 valve head w/central spark plug, they have more options for measuring bore and stroke. I only ever made it to impound at El Mirage. Big deals like Bonneville might have more exotic testing stuff.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 03:03:44 PM »
Heres a few of the items checked during the two steps of impound. Gas class is gas tank sealed, roadster classification body dimensions meet the class requirements, wheel base meets at least class minimum, front tire width, is roll cage tubing diameter correct for class record speed, number of parachutes used depending on speed. And of course engine size which if its a Ford flathead V-8 usually requires head removal to measure bore and stroke.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 06:18:47 PM »
. . . and, from my experience, if they're quoting a rule that you've broken, make them show you in the Rule Book word for word.  Sometimes they use their literary license.  I know.

(Eight certified, one screwed out of -- same car.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 06:20:57 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline RICK

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 08:51:31 AM »
 I hear about cars/bikes spending the night in impound. So I can only assume that they would want take the head off of a double over head cammed 4 cylinder after the "Backup" run?
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 02:48:15 PM »
I hear about cars/bikes spending the night in impound. So I can only assume that they would want take the head off of a double over head cammed 4 cylinder after the "Backup" run?

The reason the cars and bikes spend the night in impound is a requirement once you qualified on a record this is the first step in setting a record. When you get in impound your allowed 4 hours to work on the vehicle to prepare for the following days back up run. Now if you back up the record your required to now return to impound where the engine is measured and the gas tank seal is checked and a host of other details are checked. Pass everything after this finale step and your now a record holder until someone comes along and breaks it.
  Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 04:50:16 PM »
"When you get in impound you're allowed 4 hours to work on the vehicle to prepare for the following day's backup run."

If you can do a valve job in 4 hours ? go for it!

(Just don't be boring or changing the stroke."
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 04:53:32 PM »
. . . and remember, those guys hanging around Impound usually include the guy you're trying to take the record from.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 05:03:37 PM »
For AMA and FIM, the return run must the SAME DAY as the qualifying run. That is a two edged sword because while you do not spend all day and night wasting time waiting for your return run, if your qualifying run is at the end of the racing day you may not get to make your return run.  That happened to me in the early days of BUB.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline salt27

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 05:10:20 PM »
. . . and remember, those guys hanging around Impound usually include the guy you're trying to take the record from.

Who will generally be the first to congratulate you.
Such is Bonneville.    :cheers:

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 06:50:11 PM »
Rick--another possible option:
As I recall, in the past, one could have engine displacement inspected by an appropriate authority during final assembly and then "sealed", obviating the need to tear down on the salt (as long as the seal is intact).

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 08:18:18 PM »
IO

IIRC that was an option in '08.

Another option that we used in '08 was having your engine sealed after the back up run to save time and then having the displacement checked when you had finished all runs or near the end of the meet whichever came first then you could put it back together after returning home.  The flip side of that was if you blew up the engine during one of those subsequent runs the displacement might not be able to be checked and any records set wouldn't be certified.

Ed

Offline KATIE

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 07:26:22 AM »
Appropriate authority, Who would that be? Who would measure engine size and then seal it up? Ive seen some dirt track engines with break-away bolts and 305 sprint car engines with wired seals, , , But who would certify my bore/stroke, displacement?

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 10:37:53 AM »
In 2019 at World of Speed, I set a record, backed it up, and proceeded to inspection as required to be measured.  After the engine was measured, they put a wire and lead (?) seal on it between the barrel and the cases, and recorded the info.  I understood that I could go out and set another record, back it up, and not have to be re-measured if that seal was still intact.  I could even pull the head and do a valve job, if I wanted to, and it would still be OK.  I think I could even return for another SCTA event and not have to be torn down again, but I have yet to able to put that idea to task.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2021, 11:09:59 AM »
Appropriate authority, Who would that be? Who would measure engine size and then seal it up? Ive seen some dirt track engines with break-away bolts and 305 sprint car engines with wired seals, , , But who would certify my bore/stroke, displacement?

K... a SCTA impound official will inspect your vehicle for class compliance when you qualify and report to impound... you have 1 hour to get there.... you may not go through the pits on the way!  They will check your fuel if in gas class and start your clock telling you when you leave... but it is your responsibility to be out on time. 
After you set your record, you will return to impound.. they will look at your vehicle for compliance again, check your fuel as required and measure your engine.  If you are going back to running you can have it sealed.  They have so many ways to measure that rarely will you get sealed before you are measured these days.  One caveat is some folks have their engine measured and sealed prior to the meet... that makes life at El Mirage easier.
I have no idea what a breakaway bolt is... but I'm sure if you really wanted to cheat you probably could but why? 
There is no money involved... maybe to prove it could be done... but again why... to be able to lie to all your friends that you went faster than the last guy
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O