Poll

What is the signature racing vehicle of Bonneville/Speedweek?

Coupe
1 (1%)
Roadster
34 (35.4%)
Streamliner
38 (39.6%)
Belly Tank
13 (13.5%)
Door slammer
7 (7.3%)
Motorcycle
3 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Author Topic: Poll: What is the signature racing vehicle of Bonneville/Speedweek?  (Read 7914 times)

Offline MyRideisMe

• Can't wait for my first Speedweek
    • Hot Rod and Custom Car Community
Did I miss something?
Your input is appreciated!
I'm contemplating a decal for our visit to Speedweek as a thank you to everyone who's helping. NOT committing, I don't know if I have enough time to get it made.

Any other input?

Yea, Dallas, it's salt fever, pretty bad.
Pictures of all my cars including my 1927 Lakes Roadster Modified called, "Bonnie"

Offline DallasV

Re: Poll: What is the signature racing vehicle of Bonneville/Speedweek?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 12:41:59 PM »
Yea, Dallas, it's salt fever, pretty bad.

It's like crack cocaine just more expensive.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 12:46:22 PM »
ummm wait, where are the motorcycle choices? I guess I'll have to vote streamliner and pretend you mean motorcycle streamliner!  :lol:

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 12:49:49 PM »
What? No catagory for the Phoenix?  :x  Not cool  :cry:

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 12:51:11 PM »
Obviously a car guy....I didn't see mini pickup anywhere either!
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 01:18:20 PM »
Should I cause him a delay at Land's End? !!   :evil:  :-D

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 01:25:33 PM »
Roadsters are where it all started and where most of the spins come from...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 01:28:24 PM »
John,  if the vote had been for El M I would have voted for Roadsters!!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 01:28:34 PM »
NAH, let him in, then we can point and laugh!!! J/K

No one is completely worthless, they can always serve as a bad example!
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 01:36:15 PM »
John,  if the vote had been for El M I would have voted for Roadsters!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that the roadster was not the first however most of the cars I see out at the lakes are and most of the spins are also roadsters...

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 01:46:33 PM »
After my first visit there I honestly believe the signature vehicle of Speedweek is the person or persons you're standing next to at any given time.

For me the greatest vehicles that have ever graced Speedweek are Glen, Freud, Wennerbergs, Steeles, Gowetski, Guthries, Pork-Pie, Turks and so many others that explained and showed things to me that made me at home like a custom fit bike or car interior could never do to help portray what Bonneville REALLY is.

For Slim and Stainless to offer me my first and fastest rides on the salt my first time there... and it was in the middle of Slim riding a brand new bike out there and Stainless crew in the middle of going for a redhat run... I mean it was all soooooo huge it didn't matter what the "mechanical vehicle" was.

For Frued to teach us so many things and be like a father from the minute we laid eyes on each other and introduce us to so many people like Al Teague, made what Al Teague accomplished almost minut compared to our experience at that minute.

For Jon and Nancy to make us feel like their brother and sister and best friends at all times without ever a second thought or worry about our trust.

For Scott and Ellen to be like our great knowledgable Uncle that trusts us to know anything about the family and teach me things only a knowledgable and caring uncle would know or be willing to do.

And the list like that goes on and on.... so it was (and will always be) the people that moved me... not the types of cars and/or bikes! 

As a matter of fact my very first ride on the salt was on Jon and Nancy's little 35mph pitbike and I don't think anything has so easily brought a tear to my eye and smile to my face as that moment in time did... it is the first of many rides I will never forget, but it was a feeling that I doubt will ever be repeated so deeply.

Vehicle:
ve⋅hi⋅cle  /ˈviɪkəl or, sometimes, ˈvihɪ-/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [vee-i-kuhl]   
Use vehicle in a Sentence
–noun
1. any means in or by which something is carried or conveyed;   
2. a carrier, as of infection

It's the people that make the cars, bikes, and streamliners go fast. It's the people that make other people want to show up there. It's the people that make others dream about the place until the next time they can set foot there again. It's the people that make Speedweek what it is. And....
It's the PEOPLE not the cars that are the signature racing vehicle of Bonneville!

But more in line with what you're looking for (IMO), the coolest thing you (I) can ever see and hear take all those great people down the course, is a Nitro powered Roadster. Goosebumps, adrenaline and jealousy (mainly the latter) just ooze from my skin during a WOT Fuel Roadster pass, and I'm willing to drop what ever I'm doing or have in my hands to see it go past the 3 when I'm in the pits!
Todd

Offline DallasV

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »
Todd, well said
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 02:15:09 PM »
That's so sweet Todd

:evil:
Debbie (Yeah, I've been dropped at the 3 mile!  :-D )
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
I have a little bit a problem to get a interpretation for this word signature....but reading all the comments I will tell you a story:

1996 I was at the salt with a old friend of mine - Craig Breedlove:

In the pits of the Spirit of America Sonic Arrow was a journalist from the USA today - he wrotes normally articles for formula one, Nascar, CART.... - he ask Craig  who can give him a idea what Bonneville and Speed means......he said "ask Pork, he was in speed before he went to school..." - Craig and I know us for a long time :-D

So this guy asked me - what means speed?

My answer was - Nascar, formula one, CART, this all is business, commercial racing...making money - Speed means a dream - you got a dream for a Bonneville racer - doesn't matter what kind - you start at home in the backyard with some friends to build this dream - than you take (together with your friends) your dream to the great white dyno - the Bonneville Salt Flats - and drive your dream - and you go home with a record or with some experience.....and the next year you come back with your dream to try again....and again...and again.......because you was so unlucky to catch the virus of speed.....the dream to go fast....and faster

Back to your question - there is no special racing vehicle - no "this is the one ultimate racing vehicle"........for each individual racer at the salt, their racer is the ultimate racing vehicle, because it's their own creation, their own dream......

Ps. later I heard that this journalist print my whole interview inside his Craig Breedlove story.....unfortunately I never got a copy from this article....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 03:04:04 PM »
Pork Pie, very well said.  It's all about the dream, not what you accomplish.  We built our car in 1988 and raced it since 1989, we have set records at El Mirage and Bonneville and yet we have not achieve the dream that we set forth to do.  In the late 80's and thru the 90's there was a big race to be the first doorslammer over 300. (congrats to Kugel/Lefevers).  We built our car for that purpose and got close a few times but always broke something.  Now we are still looking for that elusive 300, but still want to be the fastest doorslammer.  There is always the dream. :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 03:11:01 PM by bvillercr »