Author Topic: LSR Tires  (Read 15157 times)

John Beckett

Re: LSR Tires
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2004, 12:21:00 PM »
Since Mike Cooks little posting on the SCTA web site has anyone heard any news on the LSR tire situation?

John

landracing

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2004, 12:31:00 PM »
John,

I was at the meeting at world finals for the tire deal. I beleive the name of the company that is interested in doing the tires is from Bushwell (sp?) tires. He showed very positive interest in doing the tires for us. I have not heard anything new recently. I expect to possibly hear some info in the next few days.
 And the question will be will have tires for next year or will this process take longer like for 2006.
 There was alot of positive information at the meeting that alot of the "Veterans" displayed. Like alot of info from Gene and Tom Burkland as well at Marlo. Seems that there were a run of tires that had to much out of round, and another run that were just about perfect from earlier make of lsr tires. They all showed and talked about the good and bads of earlier tires that were made. If we dont get something for this next year we must be patient because this could be the start of something good for the future. There was also work arounds that need to be met. Like who will own the molds, the formulas, the racers or the company? Legal issues have to be hashed out. Im sure it will not be an overnight process but a positive one for years to come.

Jonathan

Offline k.h.

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2004, 02:35:00 PM »
It's Alaska Bushwheel of Joseph, Oregon.  They did an incredible job of developing specialty "tundra" tires from one or two available units ten years ago to a big and growing selection for dozens of airplanes.  They have done a stand-up job in advancing their  business.  Far more than I planned on doing when I considered buying the old company from the original owners in Palmer, Alaska, a decade ago.

Speaking of avoiding work: to avoid the work of forming that previously discussed non-profit LSR foundation, inquiries were made to a number of speciatly tire companies, including Alaska Bushwheel/Alaska Tire & Rubber, regarding LSR tire needs.  They were easily the most promising, initially receptive to the idea if time and product expansion schedules would allow, plus they have the testing venue available in Ohio to run up 400 mph speeds.  Maybe more.  It was then that they were put in touch with SCTA & Marvin.  

These folks use Kevlar bias belts in their aircraft applications, relatively new technology which shows considerable promise.  And it is my understanding that their method of manufacture will allow tires to be made to some very strict balance tolerances.  I look forward to the R&D results, and there is sure no use doing anything further on this end for the non-profit foundation if Alaska Bushwheel and SCTA solve the tire problem.  Plus, SCTA is now a non-profit itself, so if there is non-profit stuff to be done, and it comes within their scope of activities, there is no use in duplicating work.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2004, 05:06:00 PM »
The Alaska Bushwheel thing is the real deal.  They now have current LSR tires inhouse for evaluation, and have ordered material to build LSR tire molds.
        Realize, however, its going to take a while to analize, build, and test before any tires are sold, but all in all, this appears to be a happening deal!!!
                        Bob Drury
                        Old Stud Racing
Bob Drury

landracing

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2004, 12:04:00 AM »
Good news on tires, Tires are being made with the intention for racing season 2005. Two of the most popular sizes 30x18 and 28x15. One motorcycle type tire also. I do not have the specific on that. These tires will be made being bias-ply type tire with the smoothness of a MT tires. basically no tread. More to come later.

Jonathan