Author Topic: new guy with many questions.  (Read 9820 times)

Offline Brickster

new guy with many questions.
« on: July 28, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
Hey Guys,
     I've been lurking around here for a while and I have been planning a build for some time now. I have been going to Speedweek since 2003 and each year I gain a little more knowledge how landspeed racing works. I will be building a vehicle to run in 2010. I want to build a vintage pickup; 1948-1953 Chevy. I have noticed there are very few trucks running and therefor many soft/open records. Here is my dilemma, the truck I want to build is not very slippery and there doesn't seem to be any means of streamlining it, other than a bed cover according to the rules for blown modified pickup. I realize I could pick a more suitable vehicle but I just can't get motivated to build a modern pickup. If I really wanted to just go for speed alone then I would be thinking more toward a special construction vehicle. here is a list of my actual questions.

-Is there a way to add a pickup class along the lines of altered or competition coupe?
-Is there a way to streamline a pickup that I'm missing under the current rules?
-My most current rule book (2006) does not list any records for blown modified pick up but the link on the main page does. Why is that?
-If the truck was run with the body according to the rules, what would you estimate the possible potential would be with an honest 1500hp.?
-Should I build the vehicle I really want and run for time only?

Thanks a lot

Brick Casper
1995 dodge Dakota, C/BMMP

Offline Bville701

Re: new guy with many questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:47:19 PM »
Hi Brickster,

Welcome to the site!

-The answer to your first question is: Not really. I believe that you can submit a request to SCTA for a new class, but it is very hard to accomplish.
-2: You could run (possibly) under Unlimited Diesel if you wan to do more streamlining, but then you would have to run a diesel motor.( I think)
-3: 2006 was 2 years ago and records have been broken since then. I believe that Jesel's truck ran Modified Pick up last year and went 250 MPH
-4: Depends on Aero and Handling, and gearing.
-5: Do you want to just have fun? Or Do you want to set records?

I hope this helps a little.

Am I correct in most of this, all you guys out there?

Look forward to seeing you on the salt!
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:54:21 PM »
Brick, I'll bet ice has a better chance in hell than adding classes.  Why not run the truck you want, but with a diesel.  The diesel trucks seem to have a lot of latitude.  
How fast do you think you will go?  How fast do you want to go?  
Building what you want may not meet your racing needs, a TO may
Why hit a soft record?  Are you sure it is soft?  Of course all the opens are....  :|
Welcome, let us know what you do, come to the salt talks and say hi
See ya on the salt  8-)

dang fast typers...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 11:04:45 PM »
Brickster -

I'm looking at a 2005 Rule book and the class didn't appear to exist then, so records are probably few, as would be the numbers of entries.  Get in on the ground floor, brother!

As far as aero is concerned, just slam it and keep your body gaps tight.  I think you can run a scoop, so an inverted one that was narrow toward the front and wide toward the back might help.  I think that's legal.

Welcome aboard! 

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:07:33 PM »
I'd look to see if the '46-'47 ................

.................1st series chevy has less frontal area than the 47-55. 

I'd just look for the one with the least frontal area that also might have the best Cd (pickup good Cd  :cry: ).

For examples of any of them go to my friend George's site ..............

http://www.carnut.com/photo/list/list.html

.............. even though it says "cars" the pickups are there for any make and year you choose.  He has literally tens of thousands of pictures there (over 100,000 at this point -- Stainless he lives by you).

c ya and I wouldn't run TO, what happens if they stop that at some point due to to many entries??

Sum

John Romero

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 11:08:08 PM »
...I have noticed there are very few trucks running and therefor many soft/open records.

I think you pretty much answered your own question regarding adding more truck classes...

Offline Brickster

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 11:24:47 PM »
couple more questions and comments.
I can't run diesel. I am trading restoration work on a '62 Corvette to my uncle for the engine. He is very interested in this challenge but feels better about building engines he is familiar with, big block Chevrolet's. He is an accomplished drag racer, engine builder and dyno operator. To be quite honest the engine he wants to do is probably more than I can use if thats possible.

The record I think I would be going for would be AA-BMP and at this point it's open.

How fast do I want to go? Ideally I would like to get to 200 but I don't know if that is even a possibility.

In gas coupe and sedan 1949 and earlier bodies are allowed a top chop would this also apply to the pickup class? from the rule book "pickup trucks in this class are considered in the modified category, gas coupe class and shall therefore comply with all the rules of this category and class."

It also states that the frame must remain in the stock location. How much of the frame are you required to use? Can it be kicked up to lower the vehicle?

Is there any rule regarding how low the vehicle sits in this class?

It says the a conventional radiator must be used behind the grille in front of the engine. Can a portion of the grille opening be blocked off NASCAR style?

The Jesel truck used a water tank to chill the incoming air charge. Could that tank be mounted very low or would it be considered streamlining?

Brick

By the way, my name is actually Brick not just because I want to race a virtual brick

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 11:46:41 PM »
Brick, welcome.

Keep the vision of your classic truck.  I just started and built a 1933 Ford Victoria Sedan (Vicky)  She is a Brick as well... She was built to compete in the standin miles at Maxton and Texas  (now possibly Loring AFB when they have a meet).

I have the LSR fever and am starting the process for car #1806... I will still run in E/CGALT  and will most probably use a 80/81 Trans AM or Camaro...

Good luck and build what you want to race.  I am into the hot rods and classics, so my opinion is jaded towards them,,, Go for it...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

hotrodladycrusr

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 12:13:01 AM »
Nice to see you here bud.  Looking forward to hanging out with you in a couple of weeks. 8-)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »
Should I build the vehicle I really want and run for time only?

Oh, God No! Heck you can run for time only down any side street. It's fun for about 3 seconds.

Build to a class and set a record. Put your name in the record book. Man is it fun.

Don't attempt anything outside the rules, build strictly to the rule book, as if that were possible.

You are going to have to ask lots of questions to get clarification. It's a tough deal.

How fast do I want to go? Ideally I would like to get to 200 but I don't know if that is even a possibility.

With a double A Blown motor? Hell, anybody could shove a (no offense here) brick 200 with that kind of horsepower. :| I think you should be looking at 275 mph.

The rules are fuzzy and you are thinking in the right direction. But before you commit hardware you should submit your plans for approval. Certainly shoot them here for our opinion, and once that is refined I would call Ed Whiteley the truck class chairman.

My take on it is that it should basically still look like a truck, but there is a lot of area for creative thinking.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 01:07:08 AM »
Ok, I know I've been on here a while but my question is off topic but I need to know.  How do you highlight certain sections to quote?  Oh, and brickster welcome to the site and sorry to throw your thread off a bit. :-D

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 01:24:23 AM »
How do you highlight certain sections to quote? 

sorry to throw your thread off a bit. :-D

When you hit the quote button you can go in and delete lines of text you don't want to answer or use. You can also highlight or make small changes to show your intent.

As for the topic I love it. Someone under 35 building a LSR vehicle. AA/BMP needs that record, go for it.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 01:33:39 AM »
As for the topic I love it. Someone under 35 building a LSR vehicle. AA/BMP needs that record, go for it.
[/quote]

Once you have experienced land speed racing and the people involved (most of them) you will be hooked.
:-D 

P.S.  No blue quote?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 01:35:41 AM by bvillercr »

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 01:35:37 AM »
You can also manually quote text by inclosing it in the following tags --- (use square brackets when you do it)

{quote} this stuff gets quoted {/quote}

If you want to flag it with the original poster use:

{quote="person who said it"} comment by that person that gets quoted {/quote}

I usually do it manually rather than using the quote buttons since I have been using tags for a long time.
To bold it use {B} stuff to be bolded {/B} ------- again replace the braces  { } with square brackets [ ] for the tags to work properly.

Larry

Offline Brickster

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 01:44:16 AM »
back to the questions at hand

In gas coupe and sedan 1949 and earlier bodies are allowed a top chop, would this also apply to the pickup class? from the rule book "pickup trucks in this class are considered in the modified category, gas coupe class and shall therefore comply with all the rules of this category and class."

It also states that the frame must remain in the stock location. How much of the frame are you required to use? Can it be kicked up to lower the vehicle?

Is there any rule regarding how low the vehicle sits in this class?

It says the a conventional radiator must be used behind the grille in front of the engine. Can a portion of the grille opening be blocked off NASCAR style?

The Jesel truck used a water tank to chill the incoming air charge. Could that tank be mounted very low or would it be considered streamlining?