Author Topic: Speed museum in Salt Lake?  (Read 1617 times)

Offline rockracer

Re: Speed museum in Salt Lake?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2024, 01:48:27 PM »
For those that can't travel,  here's the video.
Butt...  if you can make it there. I highly recommend seeing these in person. 
https://youtu.be/Jy3l4qdkg-k?si=iCqPW1oOhUi81L4L

Offline noboD

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2024, 04:32:12 PM »
Col, Was the Mormon Meteor ever a street car? I have seen old black and white footage of Hershey AACA car show from the '50's and I am sure I saw it there. It was when the show was still inside the stadium on grass. 

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2024, 10:14:13 PM »
Nice video Frank, I sent it to Al.
  Sid.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2024, 06:40:51 AM »
Col, Was the Mormon Meteor ever a street car? I have seen old black and white footage of Hershey AACA car show from the '50's and I am sure I saw it there. It was when the show was still inside the stadium on grass.

When you talk about Ab Jenkins Mormon Meteor...which one you mean.

the 1st and 2nd, yes, they based on regular street cars

the 3rd and last...today know with a orange/blue paint...so as Marv Jenkins restore the car...was a purpose built record car...as this car runs long distance records...means on a huge circle at the salt...he was designed like a Indy car in the 60's...with a offset suspension....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline noboD

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2024, 10:21:24 AM »
I don't know which one. The video is black ad white, would have been in the '50's for sure. It has been a few years since I saw it. I will see if I can find it again. The video was taken as cars came around the east side of the stadium headed past the ticket office.

Offline rockracer

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2024, 01:57:36 PM »
Watch (the boy's of Bonneville) DVD or online.  Tons of footage,  even some of the brutal wrecks from Daytona Beach ect.
The M.M. 1 was originally a Duesenberg street car .
#2 they installed a aircraft engine (the only way to make big power back then) but the stock reinforced frame just couldn't handle the huge engine.  So #3 was built bigger to accommodate that giant engine which brought speed up significantly.

At the museum they have a book you can get,  that has #1 pictured and the story behind it all.
If you can go,  I'd suggest do it sooner than later before the book is gone.