Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Technical Discussion / Stored energy, released during a run
« Last post by tallguy on June 02, 2024, 08:21:19 PM »
We all know that there are various ways of storing energy that can later be used to propel a vehicle.

Some examples of energy storage items are batteries, capacitors, flywheels, compressed air tanks, mechanical springs,
nuclear devices, earth's gravitational field, and biological organs such as muscles.

In the context of land speed racing, is it likely that the performance of a vehicle could benefit by storing energy this way while accelerating, and release the energy later in the run, thereby achieving a higher measured speed?

It's not clearly obvious to me that this would be the case.  On a relatively long track -- such as a Bonneville -- , a lot of energy is required to push a vehicle through the air at high speed over a long distance.   Over a relatively short distance, a well-designed vehicle could/would use most of its available (engine) power output to build speed.  But a vehicle whose engine power (and, therefore, top speed) are quite limited may hardly benefit from a very long track, compared to a shorter one.  I don't immediately imagine that 4 miles of distance prior to the timed mile is much of an advantage, compared to 2 miles of distance prior to the timed mile -- for a 100cc motorcycle.  But if that bike were able (and allowed) to store energy on the way to the first timing trap, perhaps that energy could help during the timed part of the run, without violating any of the rules.
For Sale by Private Parties / Re: 53 Studebaker
« Last post by racergeo on June 02, 2024, 06:27:21 PM »

Sold  Guy saw it in my yard and bought it.LOL
Build Diaries / Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Last post by Stainless1 on June 02, 2024, 12:19:47 PM »
Mike, your ECU data probably has a fuel used burried in it  lol8... although I don't know anyone that looks at MPG on their Bonneville car... but I know Bockscar gets about 5MPG with the 1 liter.... E85 is about 4  :laugh:
 :cheers:
« Last post by Mike Brown on June 02, 2024, 08:53:21 AM »
Were you able to determine fuel economy on the drive to the show?

Ron, the drive was only from the trailer unloading area to the car show that was on the main street of Morrow Ohio so I did not calculate the fuel economy.  Historically it takes a gallon of VP MS109 for a mile run.  I guess that like the F1 guys I could look at the data log to see what percentage the fuel injectors were operating at and calculate that with the injector capacity (1050cc) versus the revolutions traveled to come up with a fuel economy.  Next weekend I was invited to show the car at the Cincinnati Concours de Elegance (they always need some "filler" cars to make the real show cars look good).  That will be a longer drive from the trailer lot so hopefully I get out of first gear and can get you some better fuel economy data. 
Health, Welfare, and Passings / Re: Ron Ayers passing
« Last post by aircap on June 01, 2024, 12:17:57 AM »
I remember he gave a talk at the 1998 Speedweeks. He was kind enough to answer one of my questions, and didn't treat me like a total noob.
Health, Welfare, and Passings / Re: Ron Ayers passing
« Last post by Speed Limit 1000 on May 31, 2024, 05:23:03 PM »
RIP Ron you will be missed but remembered as a great designer of the fastest cars in the world
World of Speed-specific stuff / Re: USFRA Test and Tune 2024
« Last post by gnomenator on May 31, 2024, 04:57:25 PM »
Thank you again Monte for all you do. You are correct, people nowadays have no respect for themselves let alone other people's property. I wish BLM could close it off to that A-HOLE part of the public but we know that can't happen. Wish I lived closer, would love to help out. See you soon, thanks again!  :cheers:
« Last post by JR'S PAPA on May 31, 2024, 04:34:25 PM »
You're a HERO, Monte!!!
« Last post by USFRAMONTE on May 31, 2024, 04:11:51 PM »
I was out on the salt over the Memorial Day weekend. Spent three days grooming a track for the upcoming Test and Tune.
There is no standing water at this time. The salt is still a little damp but that made smoothing the surface go easier. I worked the mountain side of course #1. I was able to drag out to the 8.5 mile. The reason I did not go further is because I was alone and did not want to take any risks. I feel like we could probably go another mile further without running into trouble.
If Mother Nature cooperates and it continues to dry, I believe we will have a very good course. If you go to our Facebook page, there are some photos posted there.
Having said that.... social media has not done the salt flats any favors. More and more people are having campfires and staying out overnight. Lots and lots of cars spinning donuts and they always pick the middle of the courses to do it. The cars doing the damage all now have someone outside the vehicle taking a video of them doing their thing. More than a bit disheartening to see this all take place, it never used to be like  this. End of rant.
« Last post by ronnieroadster on May 31, 2024, 02:25:04 PM »
Were you able to determine fuel economy on the drive to the show?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10