Author Topic: Tom Burkland  (Read 2716 times)

Offline mike ryan

• New folks
Tom Burkland
« on: October 09, 2007, 01:57:41 PM »
I'm a little out of the loop here in Florida, so this may seem like a stupid observation / question, but I can't find anything that shows if Tom Burkland made any appearances this year. Does anyone know if he plans on running next year?
Thanks...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Tom Burkland
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 03:06:41 PM »
Depends on the salt conditions.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 04:09:32 PM »
Talked to Tom on Saturday - the car is in Montana - he will try next year under better condition.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 06:09:49 PM »
TB was at Speed week with car and ready to roll but the salt was mush @ 7 and said that he would need all that and more to be able to slow down. I am surprised that Nish got as fast as they did for the same reasons. I wanted to ask Nish about it but did not get the chance to talk to him after the runs.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Wester

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 06:17:44 PM »
Tom's classic comment to me a couple of months ago was "No use running a 450 MPH car on a 350 MPH course".  Gene and Tom had helped prepare the International course in June for runs.  Too bad they didn't have hard salt on either end to go with the good course that was there in the middle before the July rains came.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 06:29:36 PM by Wester »

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 01:40:12 PM »
Sorry, but Tom Burkland's 411 was not at the salt during the Speedweek - he helped a crew member running his wonderful Camaro.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Wester

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 02:01:06 PM »
Glen says: Depends on the salt conditions.

He is right!  The 411 car is ready to go and could be on the salt in a couple of days if they ever get a good course that's long enough to run on.